Whats the best way to get out of a recession?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by blaz1n, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hello grasscity, this is my first thread, although i am a frequent visitor

Whether some people have had the same idea as me, I've come up with a brilliant plan to get our country out of this recession.... and the answer is WEED

Weed is so cheap to grow and so much money could be made, by the government. Thats all we need is for the feds to grow and sell the weed. Thus, mass amounts of money would be pumped into the economy, and that will get things on the right track. Everyone would buy it, and more importantly, everyone would be happy:smoking:

2. What a bunch of bullshit. I can't believe you want weed to be taxed, and believe that'll solve everything. I am happier off with growing it in my basement or having a buddy doing it or doing it with some friends or a community or something. Giving the weed to the government isn't a good idea, because they're just going to get somebody else to contract it. Some guy is going to get rich off of our taxes. Use taxes wisely man.

Want to get out of a recession? We need to spur investment hardcore by companies. They need a reason to want to go out and spend cash and start hiring again and trying to get sales. As of the last couple of days, the reports for the first quarter came out for various companies, and they seem to be doing well. My brother reads the WSJ everyday and he's telling me that everything is slowly making some gains in terms of the business world and the economy as a result.

I think we need to lax the tax laws in this country to income taxes and sales taxes. Shit like property taxes and income tax on investments is just impeding true progress. We also need a good balance between the federal government and our state/local governments. That is, the federal government shouldn't necessarily decide everything. We have 50 states in this country that are fairly capable of their own dealings through their own demographic populations. We are capable of being an even stronger economical force if states were able to have larger budgets over what they have right now (if required that is). With more of a local pull with a national presence, I'm pretty confident we can solve lots of problems. The federal government should just make sure greed doesn't take over once again.

I think the federal government should create their own healthcare system to compete against the private entities. They should also overlook social security program. Imagine if we had privatized social security at this point. I asked a professor about this once, and he said we wouldn't have enough money to cover that mess up. I think doctors employed by the fed govt shouldn't have to pay income taxes because their salaries are going to be low in comparison to those in private practices. Of course, co-pays would be used as a way to ensure people just don't come in because they got a cough. For one reason or another, conservatives always bring this one up.

Whatever. :smoking:

3. Dude, a lot of money can be created in both the private and public sector by legalization and taxation. Its introducing an entirely new crop to the market, one that has a plethora of uses. Its not going to solve all of our problems, but what other method would you suggest that would AUTOMATICALLY INJECT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS into our economy?

I hope you never get arrested. I hear that kind of thing can be quite the bummer.

How is creating a open market for it "giving weed to the government?" Sure, the government is going to tax it, because it wants a cut of everything it can possibly make money off of, but its better than the current system in place.

Don't look now, but some guy is ALREADY getting rich off your taxes. Go kill him!

4. If only nobody read the War Street Journal and instead invested their studies in the competing theories of economics, we probably wouldn't be in this mess.

The progress we are seeing is a result of newly allowed deceptive accounting techniques and the bailout and low rate incentives at play. We are still unhealthy and the economy should never be valued based on gullible market speculators.

By definition you are conservative if what you say above is your true belief.

If by privatized social security you mean left every individual in this country with 8% more income, whose to say what would be accomplished with those investments and if they would be better than the governments. As of right now, we do not have enough money to cover "that mess up" so what are you getting at?

How about no doctors pay income tax and then they can all be cheaper, and then eliminate every man's income tax and then we could all afford to buy doctor services. But first you would have to remove the federal mandate on insurance monopolies and remove the liabilities medical providers face.

5. I don't let definition tie me down. Do you?

6. #6 Coup D'etat, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
    I can understand. I just don't want to be taxed when smoking weed. Have you seen how high its gone for cigarettes? We'll turn into their bait to get cash.

I honestly hope I never get arrested. In order to tax weed, it has to be legal. I like it legal, not taxed.

Weed is a LOT harder to regulate than anything. When you think of regulation, its not just about adding a W to ATF. It's about ensuring that weed doesn't start interfering in everyday events as people smoke everywhere. Similar problems such as smoking inside restauraunts and driving will come out. Problem with weed is that it stays in your system so long that you can't detect whether or not that person is currently sober. We're going to have to invest in mental sobriety tests unless something else can be found that can determine whether or not a person is sober.

Thank you captain obvious.

You're funny

I see. And your resources are ____?

I get that a lot, but if you read my posts I support heterogenous approaches in most matters with a liberal slant. I know myself. ;)

If a healthcare system created by the government to compete with private entities is conservative, then something new must have happened. I also believe the government should create magnetic bullet trains connecting major cities within states. An understanding of economics doesn't entirely make me a conservative. No identity crisis here.

Well considering the general outcry from the conservatives to privatize most things, I thought it would be something to take into consideration. 2008 shows the risks of privatizing social security - Jan. 13, 2009 Here's one link among others out there.

As hard as you wish, the free marketing won't solve anything. As much as you want to limit government intervention in the economy, the only reason we got involved was because the corporations were fucking over the working poor with patriotic propoganda. Check out the 1900s, but I'm sure you're going to throw away the struggles of the working class back then and talk about the fed reserve. Oh well. Continue to flick off the world, it works.

7. #7 aaronman, Apr 19, 2009
    Foreign news sources that don't shit all over the data with statist bias, and I take investment advice from people that have been right for the last 10 years, not people that were always wrong.

It's common sense that the stock market shouldn't be used as an economic indicator, so I don't really need a source to prove that point. Only an idiot would base their analysis off the confidence of speculators.

As far as new accounting methods, Mark-to-Fantasy Accounting, boost profits as much as the banks require.

And here are some practical views on the state of the economy:
    Why I Fired My Broker
    US Clutches at Straws of Recovery

And the people I trust:
    Peter Schiff: Oh He Saw it Coming
    Jim Rogers: Marry a Farmer
    Gerald Celente: The Collapse of 09

Bush's lame plan for "privatizing" social security still FORCES people into market investment. And of course you will run into problems of privatization when you release investments into a volatile and corrupted socialized market. The Fed driven business cycle is not the most favorable market for investors.

I propose that people are just not taxed the 12.4% and left to do what they choose. Consume, invest or save.

You are aware that social security is a ponzi scheme and will be insolvent soon? What are your proposals?

There were always political entrepreneurs that took advantage of the monopolistic powers granted by their friends in government, look to steam, steel and rail for examples of Federal abuse of the free-market long before the Fed. As the Federal government grew more and more powerful and unaccountable to law after the Civil War the levels of abuse in the markets grew.

The private banksters that made up the Fed still manipulated the markets to their liking, albeit with less power. Not until the staged panic of 1908 could Aldrich convince congress into passing the FRA.

The free market is the only solution.

Lol, you sound like an idiot. Explain yourself.

8. Free market principles might work, but the "free market" is the wet dream of a self-proclaimed Constitutionalist.

9. I can agree, but I think America should aim for the right of center in economic policy... that is what made us the most powerful nation in the world, after all.

10. #10 bkadoctaj, Apr 19, 2009
    What made us most powerful was drinking away our fear, and by "our" I mean the people who claim to serve the Union you've pledged allegiance to in our name. Unfortunately, what goes up must come down, as in the case of the façade we call Government. Government gets in the way of true, unbridled freedom with its many laws, which simply layer over themselves, never undoing themselves or returning to the root which is "timely existence".

Powerful nation... I hope you don't truly associate with this "nation" when you refer to it as "our". What a self-inflicted tyranny otherwise.

Politics is a drinking game.

11. #11 aaronman, Apr 19, 2009
    Great point, government is like a cog railway, no reversing this train!

(Ah, whatever, cog rail trains go backwards... but you get my point ;) )

Only by method of taxation do I associate with this country... I didn't sign any contracts, it was a forced marriage.

12. I beg to point out perhaps you are not being totally truthful with yourself. You called it "our" nation. If nationality is simple geographical locality, we really could be a lot more free in our political associations.

13. Technically, I said "made us the most powerful nation", never alleging towards ownership only a commonality of, as you say, geography.

But go on, how do you mean more free in our political associations? Are you talking about secession and right to self determination?

14. #14 bkadoctaj, Apr 19, 2009
    What need is there for secession if we're free? Just the potential for secession highlights the truth of our want of freedom.

You mention "right"... well, who guarantees these rights? If I am an atheist, believe in no true and real higher power to Create my "inalienable rights" as alluded to (implied) by a scrap of hemp paper, doesn't that mean I have a different premise than those who claim there really is such a Creator?

It seems to me that since we can't superficially resolve the above difference, Governors (in our name) step in with their plans (action). And they say, "We must set up a system that guarantees these rights to you." And someone clever thinks, how can we make the people feel as if they are a part of our decision making without constraining our chosen decisions? He answers himself: "We base the government on the unspoken principle of duality, whereby some Governors promote an argument (i.e. government should be broad) and others respond (predictably, because this is how order is established, at least superficially) with a counter-argument (i.e. government should be limited). Ever since, we have seen opportunistic law after law, all short-term in scope and destructive at their core because they do not align with the natural laws.

What do you think?

15. Secession under the presumption that you want to maintain slavery to the state. However, it would be a much smaller and thus a more tame state (depending on the populace).

Call them what you like; natural, god given, negative... what we deem our most basic rights I believe are innate. We instinctively recognize it ensures our own survival to value these rights.

If not that, we will come to that conclusion through experience. I do not think humans can live long without peace, which would require law, which would require government to protect the law.

That's exactly what happened, we lost respect for our laws. Our elected officials referred to the code binding their own power as "inappropriate and anachronistic", or "just a piece of paper", and we sat by and allowed it.

It all started when they didn't let the South secede. Since then we've turned into this "In God We Trust" abomination that is all a sham to preserve DC & Co as the center of power for all this land.

Your goals seem far-fetched to me, but I would say constricting the power of government is a step in the right direction.

16. #16 bkadoctaj, Apr 19, 2009
    But I don't lie under that presumption. Hence, I'll go with greater freedom, even if you are satisfied compromising. After all, compromising always gets you what you want, right?

Nice, but believing in a true and real Creator actually makes a difference. So, when one person looks to the Creator for guidance, and another looks to himself, we can't expect them to reach the same understanding. Hence, duality is inborn in the declarative Constitution.

Kind of like how when you take on a belief, you forgo your potential to believe the opposite, and therefore have also given up your open mind. As you wish, however.

Fair enough if they seem far-fetched. :) Not preaching to you, just sharing what I truly believe and you can take it or leave it. You don't have to believe it. Free, huh? :p

17. There's nothing I enjoy more than having a mind blowing, life changing revelation, so I assure you I try to keep an open mind.

Yes, believe what you want, and good luck with it. :)

18. Think about it... for the millions of weed users in America, weed would have to be MASS produced, thus making it easier to get and CHEAPER. Let them tax it... It would still be cheaper than what you'd be paying on the streets.

19. Exactly. In a legal market, the price would come down, no matter what the tax is. Marijuana costs mere dollars PER POUND to produce, yet we now pay thousands per pound. No amount of taxation would bring it back up to this level.

20. Stop expecting Instant Total Economic Gratification.

It does not exist. Cannabis legalization would help, but there is no realistic panacea.

Let the wounds heal from the Civil War already, and stop playing into your fears.

At least that's a start.