Whats the best way to germinate for hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by DrGreenthumb22, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Damn I feel like a newbie..but how do yu germinate seeds for hydro. I've used the root plugs and have had no success.. I've been hearing good stuff about rockwool..can I put the rockwool into hydrotron after the tap root emerges?

2. I've used Rapid Rooters for many different kinds of Vegetables in the past and had 100% germination rate

3. Mine always dry out..do you start them in paper towels first..then drop it in when the root first emerges? The people at my hydro shop swear by them to..they told me to jus drop the seed in the hole..pointy side up..so that's what I did without germ it in paper towels an I got nothin.. I got the heat mat... The plastic dome..an I still get nothin..an I got about 150$ worth ofseeds on it's way an hope they germ

4. I soak the RR for a few hours to get an equal PH then squeeze out the excess water (Not too much just so that its not dripping) If you see the RR drying out just add a few ml (if you have a pipet and spray the outside),

5. i use root riot cubes and have amazing success. i germ my seeds using the paper towel method until a tiny tap root shows, then i place them in presoaked root riot cubes. they grow perfectly everytime :)

i then cut a sized hole out my rockwool cubes, when i see a sprout appear from the root riot, i put them in there rock wool cubes and into my hydro system. i run my pumps for 15 mins on the hour to keep them moist and they grow perfectly :) then change the pumps when a decent root mass develops.

6. Rapid Rooters

7. I have some bcuz rockwool plugs and the rr plugs.. I'm gna soak them over night and try two bagseeds out in them..and see which will grow quiker/bigger and better..before I throw my good seeds in

8. I have the same problem! I use the paper towel method to germ them. I put 2 great white shark seeds from greenhouse (I'm mentioning the type of seed and bank because I want to know if they just have shitty seeds or if that's just a bad strain?) into pre soaked 5.5 ph distilled rockwool cubes and they died. Then did the same germ method and put 3 gsw into rapid rooter plugs and they grew about 4 inches and produced zero nodes and then died. All seeds were fem and all 5 died. I have had success in the past with growing in soil and then transferred them to hydro. Is this just the best way? I'm trying to do a deep water cultivation setup if I can ever produce seedlings to put them in there!

9. Damn..I'm sorry to hear about that bro..the people at my hydro shop are really cool..they grow mad weed an know a lot. They told me to only ph the cubes if I'm putting clones into them..they know I'm worried about my seeds not making it..they said to just soak them over night in distilled water..squeeze excess water out (not too much) and add a couple drops of pure water each day. Also they said to let the roots wrap around the rockwool or plug and transplant into hydrotron when it's at least four inches high and has a good root system.