whats the best soil & nutrients to grow purple

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by j reif, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I have 6 all star purple plants

2. The only nutrient I've heard of is purple storm (i think that's the name) by humboldt nutrients or whatever. I don't think it really works, and the only thing that will truly turn your flowers purple are genetics or cold temperatures.

3. Um, cold temperatures.

4. Flushing with ice water will bring out purples.

5. agreed on the cold temps, but not sure just ice water at flush will do? in fact id be scared of freaking out the roots like that.

you ever had the shower turn ice cold on you....:eek::eek::eek: yea. fuck that.

6. It does freak the roots out. It can also shock them to put out extra resin to protect themselves. It was taught to me by a friend who owns the canna club here. I trust their advise more than any other grower.

7. So would you recommend doing this... once per grow? Everytime you flush?

8. Temps definitely.

The ice water thing may sound crazy enough to try...I'd give it a whirl with one of the 6 and see if it in fact does anything.

Post your results.

9. Definitely not every time. Just the last two or 3 days. I'll post pics of mine later in the season.

10. Thanks for the advice yall ...i'll post pic in a couple weeks or so..

11. Ambient temperatures are more relevant than water temperature, though I guess water might work.

If you really want some killer purps, grow in a cold room, crank your AC up and bring the room temperatures down to 65F or lower for the entire bloom.

Or wait 'till it's cool outside and run a late outdoor (or early spring, using a winter batch of clones).

The purple is a genetic trait, but it requires environmental conditions (in most cases) to "express" itself. so the strain may have the P gene, but not show it, and you may chill your room and not get purple plants, however cooler temperatures will work on most herbs, even mint, basil, whatever.

So if you're growing the purple strain, there's probably good chance it carries the gene, and may not need as much to trigger it, but it's not guaranteed.

I'm growing a few African Blue Basil plants, one has almost totally purple underleaves, one has spots, and one doesn't show any purple at all.

12. Going to do the ice water method last few days of my next plants, thanks for the advice

13. Yea ice water may help a tad bit....but in all honesty it is not nearly as effective as cold temps. That's key to growing purp strains if you want the purp to come out during flower. Invest in portable AC bkus once the temps get cold enough 60-65 deg F. The plant will produce even more crystals as well....my boi decided to ONLY grow blue/purple strains and he's got it down packed. Grows some really nice purps everytime and he says its all about your temp and humidity. By the way...he DOESN'T use the ice water method.
    Good luck with that! Any updates?

14. The best nutrients? THat's like asking what the fountain of youth is.

In my opinion, you should check out Advanced Nutrients - I've had nothing but good results from them. Their systems for growing really work well, and they're pretty much idiot proof.

As for whether they're the best for purple, not sure, I admit.

I would check them out, but I'm sure others will give you their opinions too. It all depends with what you can get, and what ends up working well for you. Every plant likes somethign different, but the strains I've grown have all loved AN.