whats the best ph for coco

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by chaoticbliss36, Apr 21, 2008.

1. i've got these hydro farm recirculating buckets...i change my res every three to four days... ph has been all over the place so stuff is a little stressed, but i got a consistent ph reading now and was wondering what the optimal ph would be. and should i be careful not to exceed a level of dissolved solids.

thanks

2. 5.6 to 5.8, I use coco too, good stuff!

And yes on the ppm, but every strain is different, but most would say 1400+ ppm is a little high.

;)Dewave

3. wow, so coco is basically the same PH as hydro eh? well i guess it basically is hydro, as coco doesn't offer much by its self except for moisture retainment.

4. yes coco is pretty much hydro.

i use a Ph of about 5.7, works great.

if you treat coco just like you would any hydro setup, then you will get hydro results.

5. Pretty cool, huh? Thats why I like it so much esp with autopots, not to mention, depending on the pot size it can sit in coco without being watered/nuted for 2-3 days, try that with DWC/NFT, LOL.

However, I don't believe plants grow as fast with coco versus DWC or NFT, just a tad slowed, but still light years faster then soil.

;)Dewave

6. I use a range of 5.8-6.0... and a maximum ppm value of 1400ppm. Certain strains I will max at 1275ppm, always either one or the other.

7. if i went over 1200 on most the strains i have grown in coco it burned them pretty good. you haven't had much burning with 1400?? how often are you watering them with that 1400 solution? maybe it was just the strains i had, but 1400 seems just a bit high.

8. 1400ppm is equal to 2.0 ec.

I water with the 1400ppm solution for around a week, usually at the mid-flower point. Every seed grow will get a 1400ppm peak feed, whether they can take it or not. I then use the information from the seed grow to better grow the clones coming through next. If the 2.0ec peak was too high for mommy, then there's a good chance it will be too high for her clones too.

Here's my typical flowering feed run down... based on a 9 week flower and measured in EC as that is more consistent than ppm, ppm is merely guesswork, and is converted from EC anyway.

flush

Often though I will only need to flush for 2-3 days.