Whats the best light to use???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by projectweed, Oct 22, 2012.

1. I have a closet that I'm tryin to upgrade its a 2x4x7 I want to upgrade it for my grow an veg room what watt I should use an would it be better to use a fluorowing or just let the light hang???

2. 600w mh/hps

3. [quote name='"Project ICE"']

600w mh/hps[/quote]

I just want to veg not flower still get a 600w cause don't cfls work to???

4. #4 redtide318, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
    What Ive read is MH ( Metal halide ) Lighting is the best for the vegetative stage. However, HPS ( High Pressure Sodium ) lighting is the best for the flowering stage. Now I have not even planted my first grow, I'm still in the R&D phase, but I'm going to switch bulbs and use a switchable ballast and air cooled reflector for the best possible grow.

Wattage: What I have been told is use a 3 x 3 x ? area for your first grow and only use 4 plants until you get better at growing and that a 400W light would suffice perfectly.

CFL's: Ive been told CFL's work just fine, however I personally like top of the line. When I build a new computer I get everything brand new top of the line and I am never disappointed. My theory is when in doubt get what has a proven track record, or the safe bet. In the long run it is worth it, especially if you plan on continually growing.

5. I would have to agree that the best light for most people is a 600W MH (veg) HPS (flower). I say 600W because I for one could not deal with the heat of a 1000W set up. You can use just about any light and it will grow. What you really want tho is tight spacing between nodes and to achieve that you really need a bright high quality light. If your not a a position to have very good circulation and ventilation you may want to look into a 400W setup. You will need a ballast (I recommend digital), a hood or socket for bulb (I recommend a vented 6 inch if using a 600W) and bulbs (MH or HPS or Both). You will also need a inline fan and filter for smell control of your room and ventilation for your light and plants. Ideal situation would be to have the temp of the canopy be as close to 76F as you can get (that is without CO2 and sounds like you should give everything a try without it before you cross that bridge) Best of luck and try using the search tab for questions as many have been answered before and you may find the info you need there.

6. on all my seedlings I use 2-dual bulb shoplights 3ft florescent bulb Phillips 40 watt w40t/DX cool white lights and keep them 2-3" away from the plants at all times. This keeps my plants extremely healthy up till I'm ready to transplant them at about 1 1/2 to 2ft tall.Simplest is always the best, all of this cost me less than 20 bucks and has grown some of the best smoke I have ever had.

7. these were done under the set-up described above....

Attached Files:

8. For that size grow room, I'd get a t5. They dont put out much heat, so they are ideal for closet grows, and they create nice short node spacing. MH would put out a lot of heat and you would need to consider ducts for venting, possible ac and all that. T5s are perfect IMO.