What's the best light rail out there?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mauwie420Wauwie, Oct 18, 2018.

1. I'm going to be buying a 10 x 20 for flowering with 4 hlg 550 v2 qb and I wanted to get a light rail to help share the light and was wondering what a good light rail would be for this? Maybe 6 qb if 4 isnt enough.

2. 2,200 watts of QB will not cover 200 sq ft,
    might be enough for a TON of clones or seedlings.
    try hanging them 550's and use 6' x 10' of the space.!

3. I thought the 550s were rated for a 5x5 space?

4. that would be minimum for veg., so u would need 8 of them for veg,
    to cover a 10' x 20' area for flower would take 12-14 550w QB's.

5. After checking their website, the fixtures rated for 4.5 to 5x5 feet flower and 6x6 veg. 5x5 is smack in the middle of those two numbers.

6. #6 Slow Old Guy, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    he has 8 5x5's in a 10x 20 area, i m no mathematician, but that sounds like he needs 8+ 550w QB's.....?????
    maybe i m not understanding the question....????
    i think the 550w covers a 4x4 best for flower...??? (34 wpsf) (a 5x5 is 25 sqft and at 22 wpsf would be great for veg)

7. I have no idea how any of these light boards work I think I'm just gonna go with what you said @Slow Old Guy I'll get and 8x8 for flower with 4 550s and a 4x8 with 2 550s for veg, how does that sound?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes you are right. I dont know why I was tripped up. I didnt even consider watts per square foot either.

8x550 would definitely veg the space just fine.

9. i m amazed, thought i was quoting the thread starter this whole time,
    Sorry Alaska, i did edit one post so it is not as odd.

some people should not post after smoking all day.!! LOL
    maybe next time i will pay better attention to the task at hand.!

• Like Like x 1
  10. No idea why anyone in the US would buy a 550 over an HLG 600h fixture. The 600 is usually cheaper. It comes with a better heatsink and a more powerful driver with identical boards. With the increased power of the meanwell HLG-600h-54a driver and 4 boards in parallel it can really push the current and actually cover a 5x5. The 550 uses a meanwell 480h driver.

11. Considering the potential output of the new qb96 elite that would be the board I would be looking at for covering a large area. It's the cheapest per watt. A single qb96 is capable of as much current as two qb288v2's. The qb96 elite board kit with heatsink is $99.

I have heard that 4 of them on two HLG 320h-52a's can cover a 5x5. That's about $550.

12. I'm totally new to this been saving for a long time and just trying to jump in it while black Friday is near and prices are dropping I'm not sure how hard any of this diy stuff is that's why I just grabbed a some 550s maybe I should I return them then

13. The 550 is a great fixture but if you're trying to spread your coverage between a limited number of fixtures the 600 is similar price and 25% more powerful.

14. I'm just gonna stick with what I got coming then since I'm totally new to indoor and I dont want to get in over my head and if you think 4 550s will cover a flowering tent of 8x8 then I'm keeping it. One thing tho, I know they're led lights but arent they supposed to be 1k watt equivalent so thatd be technically like running 4k watts from what I understand that should grow some healthy girls right? I thought about supplementing some side or under lighting if need be and adding uvb I read that helps a lot with trichs?

15. Also, wouldn't the 600 run a higher wattage?