Whats the best book for a absolute beginner?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fjames27, Jun 18, 2009.

1. My budget is limited so I would have to go with lights that dont need a ballast. I noticed they are expensive and the light set ups can get very pricey.
    I have limited space so I was thinking of one of those adjustable light rack but I would rather build one of my own and get the lights sepreate. and then possibly put a black tarp/tent over it to cover the light and make it non visible.

Can anyone give me there ideas on what they did and maybe some pics of your set up.

And what would be the best book on teaching about lighting, cultivating, growing, maintaining....the whole nine yards for beginners that is in color.

....James

2. Marijuana horticulture: The indoor/outdoor medical grower�s bible

3. the second book is better

4. wh0a...theres an edit button lol.
    But I have the cannabible and it has absolutly nothing to do with growing. But does anybody have opinions on set-ups, or i guess another post'll do, i see people are post happy here.

5. Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible (Paperback)

by Jorge Cervantes (Author)

can be had for $20 + S&H on amazon's website I have it and it's great..

6. I think the aerogarden is the easiest way for the novice to get a few ounces for personal use. You don't need a book.

7. If you want a book that is easy to uinderstand and has all the basics in laymaqns terms, get the Indoor/Outdoor Marijuana Growing Guide by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal. It has easy to follow guidelines, troubleshooting, etc...

I find flouros are the best for beginner b/c too many beginners either place their plants too far away or too close and damage them.

My first few indoor grows were with $5 2 tube shop lights from Home Depot, less than $100 including soil, nutes, fans, and reflectant in a very small 4 ft wide by 2.5 ft deep can produce a couple good oz's off 2 or 3 plants, given strain, soil, and nutes used.

less

8. Print is dead. I couldn't think of a better resource than the one you are on right now. Helpful advice, stickies, people with experience answering questions for free, what more can you ask for? God bless the internet:)

9. Books are good but there is sooo much info here on this site that you don't really need one. I had a pretty successful first grow with just the guides people have posted here.

10. Best book out there, and I would know I've read a few of them. Its just an amazing book about cannabis. Yea theres a lot of stuff on the net about growing ganja, but come on its a book by Jorge Cervantes, one of my few heros. Its well worth the buy in my opinion.

11. #12 fjames27, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
    I hear you completly on the subject of there being way more detailed knowledge on the net than you can find in a book.
    I enjoy reading and will not always have internet access.

I order a couple books and a $50 amazon gift card for when I am ready to start a little grow.

I am still trying to decide what lights. i am most likley going to get flourescents. I was thinking of 4 24 inch t5 lights or any o0ther idea on 24 inch flourescents? and/or some cfl's that screw into regular sockets and get some basic tin reflectors and put a couple....fuck trying to explain....I was looking at these.

whats the difference in the bulbs in the first three sets SH Hydroponics, Inc. > CFL Systems

and i has looking at this set up...[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-2-Foot-Start-Light-System/dp/B0006856EQ]Amazon.com: Hydrofarm JSV2 2-Foot Jump Start T5 Grow Light System: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

what do you think would be better? I like the hydrofarm stand better cause i was thinking of making my own stand, and it says two feet and i'm pretty sure it means 24 inch lights.
    And does anyone have any knowledge on the t5 lights?

and what are nutes? is that for hydroponics?

these are the books i got...I wanted the horticulture one everyone mentioned, I read a couple pages of the lighting section a while back at a friends house, but i dident get it i guess i got stutterfucked when i went to order.

but these are the ones i got, they'll have to do and i am sure they'll have alot of knowledge that i dont know, and i am going to rape the net for all i can get

Cannabis Cultivator: A Step-By-Step Guide to Growing Marijuana by Jeff Ditchfield (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Hydroponic Basics by George F Van Patten (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Thanks for all the help.

...James

P.S. I dont know why half the post turned into a link???

12. Naw dude dont waste your money on that jump start kit unless you want it for your clones. For $20 bucks more you can get a 150w HPS on ebay. OR use the power of craigslist and wait a little bit and get a good deal. In the end no matter what its better to get HID its really cheaper in the end. I got 5 150w HPS for $150 on craigslist and 1000w switchable for $130. Its worth the investment. Like most of us on this part of the forum, i smoke a lot, 2 oz a month, even with electricity cost and such still saving $4000 a year. Just saying invest in pot properly and she will repay you in 100's fold.
    Keep'em Burin
    DirtyViperMan

150 WATT HPS DIGITAL GROW LIGHT XL HOOD 150w SUN SYSTEM - eBay (item 180367630570 end time Jul-10-09 23:52:48 PDT)

13. I have found my Jorge Cervantes book to be worth it's weight in gold it goes over all kinds of deficiencies on the plant, how to build a grow room, light ratings etc it really is a bible on how to grow. and as I said you can buy a used copy on amazon for real cheap it's worth $20 and more just because of the information you can get out of it. granted you can find alot of the info online but you have to do searching etc.. I have my book sitting ontop of my tent :D