What's happening to the word "female?"

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by kozmic_blues, Dec 17, 2007.

1. I've been noticing more and more lately that the word "female" is being used in kind of a weird way. I've overheard a couples cousins of mine and other guys (all "gangster" types or guys who listen to hip-hop and rap) say stuff like "dang there were all kinds of females at the party" and " check out them females over there" and I realized that it's pretty much dehumanizing women.

You call an animal a female, not a human being. That's the kind of word you use when talking of something you consider inhuman or lower than human.

It's disgusting how women are portrayed in the media today. In a lot of rap and hip-hop songs they're basically viewed as cattle to be used and thrown away. It's amazing how some men can be such bastards.

(Of course there are other words like bitch and ho and all that, but here I'm focusing on female.)

Anyone agree with me?

EDIT:
    Btw, before anyone thinks I do, I don't hate rap and hip-hop. A lot of it's really cool. Well, not most of the new shit they throw out these days, that's mostly talentless crap, but the older stuff was cool. It's just that most recent rap and stuff (the crap I'm speaking of in this thread) says a lot of bad things about women.

2. Nah, i disagree. I'm sure they would prefer female over the other words you mentioned.

3. Big time disagreed.

4. Your point of view is just DUMB. Female is a totally scientific word used to describe someone whos not male. Really though, I could call women bitches, or I can call them females?

5. I know what you're talking about, but there's a lot worse things that most guys run around calling us women on a daily basis, but whatever, the way I look at it, guys who disrespect women don't get the good ones anyway :p

6. Wow, you're really shortsighted. Of course it's a scientific term, but scientific terms aren't what people always want to be describes with.

Obviously women would rather be called females over bitches, but they'd rather be called women over both. I've talked about this with several women before, and they agreed that they don't liked to be called a female. Maybe it's because you're not the "gangster" or rap-listening type, but from their point of view they see women as objects or property, not people.

7. The thing is, they ARE females. They aren't bitches are hos (well.... they don't want to be called that anyways)

Sure it is all in the context of use, but if they are really getting offended by being called a female, they need to smoke a bowl and chill out

8. I think you're missing the point though. The thing is: they're not exactly offended by being called a female, they're offended by being viewed as an object or animal...less than men.

9. Honestly if the un-educated rap wannabes wanna run around saying they've got bitches and hoes, let them. They only further the point of their own stupidity, that's the way I look at it. If you wanna talk like you're not educated, that's pretty much how people are going to treat you!

A lot of guys also call women bitches just because their friends do and they think it's cool, but no really, it's lame. :p

10. I've never called a girl a bitch that I've liked or got along with. To be honest I've never called a girl a female to her face.. It's just talk between friends. Maybe a double standard? Maybe not..

But how is calling somebody a female labeling them as property?

11. Is saying "Where are the females at?" any worse than saying "We need some get some girls at this party."

I can think of 5 things off the top of my head way worse than calling women "females".

And I'm pretty sure calling women females has been around in hip hop culture since the late 80's-early 90's. It is not relatively a new phenomenon.

12. i totally disagree, when i was like 16 at a dance i would be like man look at all the girls!!!

well now im older at the bars, its woman, or females, its just a generalization nothing bad about it at all.

13. well you cousin probably wouldnt have had much of a chance if he said, check out them humans over there.

14. Dude are you serious? Female just means they got the XX instead of the XY, there's nothing insulting about it unless your calling a man female.

15. This is funny lol. Any female who gets offended when I call them females obviously has issues. I mean wtf how much more are men supposed to restrict their words?

16. How many restrictions do men already have on the words the use? Are you talking about their restrictions on calling women derogatory terms like bitch, ho, whore, slut and tramp?

And what's wrong with a call for politeness and proper treatment and respect of women?

17. Nothing is wrong with that. There is something wrong when people start claiming common words with no derogatory meaning are derogatory and should not be used, however.

18. I think love has been lost by many people; when sex becomes a game and a drug that people do to work out their frustrations, it makes a mockery of love.

As a society we have to be very careful that we do not allow what helps us grow to be mocked, because then we invite ruin, destruction and wars.

Sometimes people laugh at the idea of hell, and heaven because they fail to realize that earth is capable of being both, and it is whatever we make of it. The world is a living hell to many; among them that have it the worst are those that we must cherish the most, such as animals, children, and women.

19. If I and several women I've asked this same question to didn't honestly see that the word is, in some ways, being used in a derogatory way, would I have brought this question up?

If you even have any idea of the kind of people I'm talking about (which aren't exactly all that uncommon) you should understand what I mean. I'm not saying that calling a woman a female at any time is derogatory and offensive. I'm saying that it's starting to be used in a derogatory context by certain groups and individuals. I'm sure none of you are the kind of assholes I'm talking about, and use the term in a respectful context, like many others do., but I'm talking about the pigs who look down upon women as objects and property, and how the number of these pigs seems to be growing.

A lot of you are really getting my point of view completely wrong...

20. no we understand your POV. its that in our opinions, your opinion is wrong or taken to seriously.

this is derogatory. this is referring to "gangsta's" but its called ebonics, and female is part of it. there is NOTHING derogatory about it. i know alot of black people. and most of my dealers are black and say female alot. and none of them ever mean it with bad intentions. you and your girlfriends just need to chill out. smoke a bowl. relax