What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by oldskoolgrower, Feb 19, 2009.

1. LOL, thanks but there's a long line of great men who have changed the world and I'm not one of them ;)

2. Forhet changing the world, i want munchies:D
    [​IMG]Do you think this guy can cook munchies or grow dank??? i think not!!

• Like Like x 1

3. That sounds really good. I love pork loin, and the sauce sounds really good. When I make pork loin, I like to brine it first for a few hours in an apple cider/maple syrup/salt mix.

I'm not sure what I'm going to make for dinner tonight. Any ideas, grasscity?

4. Waffles er pancakes, can never go wrong with breakfast for dinner:hello:
    Speaking of breakfast.....I'll be back...

5. I often brine pork. This marinade is really a thick brine only with more sugar than salt. The trick is to have a high enough specific gravity in the solution so that flavor and moisture goes into the meat rather than being drawn out.

Hmmm. How about some broiled salmon, roasted new potatoes, and some braised endive or spinach?

6. tonight is prime rib, some garlic mashed pots and probably green beans.

7. I'm making some Thai yellow curry for dinner tonight. It's simple, tasty, and pretty damn healthy.

Make some curry :D

8. curry is always good.. i'm more of a fan of red curry with some sort of coconut, like a Thai style as opposed to the Indian style.. but that's just me.

9. We generally prefer the Thai style here as well, red or green. Once in awhile I'll make some naan and an Indian style curry though.

10. i have a killer thai curry recipe.. if i can figure out the measurements i'll post it up.

11. That's the problem I have with transcribing recipes; aside from baking and brewing I do not really measure.

12. I love all curries, but Indian ones are my favorite (to cook and eat). I've also had some good African and Caribbean ones as well.

The best thing is that you don't need recipes for them, and they are so easy to make. If you have an Indian/Asian market near you, the spices are a lot cheaper than at the supermarket.

For tonight I decided to make prawns in a coconut-tamarind curry, with cauliflower and bok choy. :)

13. i wish more people would use bok-choy in asian cooking.. nothing beats that texture in a stir fry or curry or whatever.

14. Yep. I'll only use regular cabbage in a pinch, or when I make kimchi.

15. My wife's birthday dinner for tonight:

Caesar Salad
    Chilled Shrimp Cocktail

Pan seared Flat Iron Steak
    Caramelized Onions with a Merlot Reduction
    Sautéed Mushrooms with Balsamic Glaze
    Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
    Herb Roasted Potatoes

2004 Beringer Private Reserve Carbernet Sauvignon

Dessert is TBD.

16. That sounds good! I love steak with caramelized onions and mushrooms.

Yesterday I made an irish beef stew with cumin popovers and saffron rice pudding for dessert. We'll probably have leftover stew for dinner tonight.

17. very nice man!

berringer PR is one of my favs man.. enjoy that bottle!

18. i keep forgetting to take pics of dinner :(

i had a giagantic porterhouse last night with some syracuse salt potatoes if you like potatoes, salt and butter you MUST try this.

the water boils at such a high temp that the consistency is almost like mashed potatoes in the skin.. sooooo good :)

19. Yes salt potatoes are good; I've made them several times. Very tasty.

Here is my wife's plate from tonight. Stuffed. Going to tend the plants then digest sprawled on the couch with a spoon.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. I happened to have a bag of new potatoes in my pantry so I made these tonight, and they were very good! We had them with panko crusted fish sticks and stir-fried vegetables.