What's a good fertilizer?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FuzzyNug, Mar 1, 2009.

1. What's a good fertilizer?

2. IMO.....Fox Farms/General Hydroponics/Advanced Nutrients all have good products. There are lots more on the market, I've just had experience with these. The guys over in the organics forum have some great stuff also, more in the way of manures, meals, and teas...... it is a bit more labor intensive.......however it is also very effective.

3. For what? Hydro or Soil grows?

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

4. #4 FuzzyNug, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
    My bad guys I should've had the common sense to tell you what I was growing lol
    It's soil not hyrdo and it's bagseed...right now I only got 1 but hopefully when I pick up my half OZ there is bound to be some seeds I hope (3 seeds or 4 would be nice)
    and it's pretty good weed (semi-dank) I have Soil but I guess it doesnt have fertilizer in it? So do I have to go buy some Fert?

It says 0.07 - 0.01 - 0.03 lol whatever that means.

5. Yeah.. depending on your budget, you should try to get some good organic fertilizers
    like the Fox Farm Soil "Trio". If you can, buy some blood meal to provide nitrogen to
    the plant throughout the grow, and some bone meal to provide phosphorus for the
    duration.

I am making my own organic nutes now, but I kinda am (and was) a Miracle Gro
    grower, but the fears of chemical hazards in chemical ferts is scaring me off of MG
    products for the future.

6. #6 FuzzyNug, Mar 1, 2009
    Ah, Thank you very much...could you possibly throw a quick rough estimate of how much that would cost me? I could go to our local gardening supplier tommarow (sunday) and pick some up possibly. and also +Rep
    Could you also possibly tell me how much of each to put in and when to put it in and if it will last me till yeild (im going to grow 4 plants (hopefully all female doubt it though) lol

Sorry but i'm new to growing and don't want to mess up.

7. Depends on a lot of things, but blood meal and bone meal are like $6 for a gallon here,
    and MG fertilizers are usually around ~$8-$10 for a box, which is lots!!

8. I added to that post...sorry I didn't edit fast enough but could you look at it again?

9. I couldn't really tell you how much to add or anything because we don't know what kinda
    soil you're going to be using, nor do we know how much of it will be in each pot. Once we
    know the volume of soil per pot, we can work out the amounts of each additive.

Usually the bags of blood/bone/whaever meal have mixing guidelines right on the back
    so you cant really fuck it up.

You won't be able to get anything to the point of never having to add fertilizers and what
    not, the blood & bone meal just add to the grow thoughout the entire cycle. You still need
    some good high N ferts for vegging, and high P&K for flowering.

I use a 30-10-10 fertilizer during veg, then switch to a 15-30-15, but ideally I'd want
    more of a 0-40-0 and a 0-0-30 or something for flowering. You don't want to be adding
    very much N during flowering.. P is the most important but you will want almost the
    same amount of K as P during flower.. make sense?

:bongin: ~Expermentalist

10. #10 FuzzyNug, Mar 1, 2009
    Lol Sorry man but No ...I don't know those P's and K's and N's they're all kind of confusing.... So I don't exactly need all that? It just helps? Or what and how do I tell if I got a (number) gallon pot?
    does all that have effect on how potent it is? or how much I yeild?

11. #11 experimentalist, Mar 1, 2009
    Ok.. primarily all fertilizers come with a number on them, this is called the N-P-K and
    it stands for "Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium" I know this should be N-P-P but the
    K comes from the latin word "Kalium".

These numbers express the quantity (in %) of the present nutes. So a general
    purpose fertilizer with an NPK of 10-10-10 has 0.10% N, 0.10% P and 0.10% K
    in it. Each of these elements provides a useful purpose to the plant. For our purposes,
    growing MJ, the most important element to have present during the Veg cycle is
    Nitrogen as it allows the plant to grow rapidly. However, for flowering, you want to
    drastically reduce the N (to almost nothing) and have a fertilizer with a higher P&K
    ratio.

Again.. I used a 30-10-10 MG fertilizer for vegging, at 1tbsp per gallon of water. This
    is the recommended dose on the box, but if I had a 10-2-2, I'd want to add twice or
    three times that per gallon to achieve the same amount of fertilizer going into my
    soil for the plants consumption. In order to determine how much your plant will
    need, you need to experiment.. each plant is going to have its own needs that you
    need to determine, by slowly increasing the dose of fertilizer to your plant over
    several waterings. Eg, start out by giving 1/4 the recommended dose, and over
    two weeks, increase that dose to full strength nutes.

If you're wondering how to determine what 1/4 strength or full strength is, look at
    your fertilizer.. they almost ALWAYS have a "dose" chart on them or directions to
    follow at the very least.

As for the bone & blood meal, no you dont NEED them, but if you can get it for
    cheap, do it.. they'll "be there" for the plant when it needs it.

Most pots you buy have their size written on the bottom.. if not, get a measurement
    of the diameter of the pot and its height and you can easily calculate its volume with
    those two numbers.

Yes. without good nutrients you wont have a good plant with potent buds. A bigger pot
    usually means a bigger yield.. if its too small, it will seriously stunt your plant. I recommend
    at MINIMUM a three gallon pot, preferably five.. but that depends on your growing conditions.

12. Ahhhh... Hmmm.
    Ok Well the NPK in my soil is 0.7 0.1 0.3
    Is that good enough to Grow a nice healthy plant for a first timer? or should i re-think what I'm doing...If i'm not mistaken but I thought you were suppose to like fertilize your plants every 2 weeks....I could do that I guess does Bone and Blood meal mean it adds to the NPK? AND thank you very much for taking your time and helping me I appreciate it greatly.

13. I know its kinda overwhelming man but seriously once you get the stuff and do it once,
    you'll see how "no big deal" it really is.. don't be concerned with the actual numbers
    but rather the ratio between them. I mean, don't buy a 5-30-30 for vegging... know
    what I mean?

14. I could post a picture of my setup and pots once I get them ready and steal my sisters camera for the time being....I think it's going well. besides this fert/soil situation.

15. Absoulty not.. that soil will NOT support a grow in its current state..you will need to add
    nutrients basically every few waterings after a couple of weeks of growth.

Yeah adding Blood and Bone meal DOES add to the NPK but think of it like this.. when
    you water your plant with a water soluable fertilizer, you're adding it to the soil but only
    temporarily.. the plant will consume those nutes as it drinks the water up, etc.. but
    blood and bone meal will be in the soil for the ENTIRE grow.. slowly releasing itself to
    the plant and being "available" when needed.. its not essential, because you're going
    to be watering with ferts, but its "nice to have" if you can spend the $10-$15. The
    trade off is that, once you have your plant going, you cannot add the blood or bone
    meal.. you gotta mix it in before you plant.

16. Ah Alright. Well I got like 2 more questions then I'll leave you alone. :D
    Can a seed go into germanation in just a glass of tap water sittin in a closet top shelf where it is dark and room temp? becus if not that's werid because mine has a little white tail....and also do I HAVE TO grow it in a smaller container THEN transplant it into a 3-5 gallon pot or could I just have it grow in the 3-5 gallon pot without having any transplants? and yes I could spare the 10-15$ on the meals so are you saying mix it in with my soil i'll be using? and then basically just water it every so and so days it needs to be watered?

17. Yes a seed only needs a little moisture to crack and sprout that tap root.. if your seed
    is showing a tap root you'll want to get it into some soil ASAP.

It's best to grow in a smaller container and then "up-pot" the plant into larger and
    larger pots otherwise you won't necessarily "maximize" on the available soil for root
    growth. You "can" grow in the largest pot.. just not necessarily the "best" way to go
    about it, all of that is subjective though.

It's really easy to over water a smaller plant in a larger pot too, so watch out for that.
    Sometimes you add a little water and the much larger volume of underwatered soil will
    "wick" the moisture away from the plant, so you add more water, and then all of a
    sudden its saturated and your plant dies of root rot. Same thing goes with adding
    nutes.. so its best to grow in a smaller container at first, then transplant when
    its starting to become "root" or "pot"-bound.

Yes, mix the "meals" into your soil via the directions on the bag. Usually 1 cup per
    gallon of soil, that sort of thing. Mix well.. be sure to buy some perlite too, you'll
    want to add more to your soil, guaranteed. This will help with root development as it
    retains oxygen and holds moisture for your plant.

Yeah, water your plant when it needs it. The best way to do this is to learn how your
    plant feels by weight.. feel it when you have watered it fully, and then feel it as it
    dries over a few days.. when its light, water it. When its heavy, don't water it. Don't
    add nutrients every time you water either.. you can harm your plant that way. Personally
    I add nutes every second watering, but thats just me and my strains.. your plant might
    be different.. be safe at first, do the 1/4 dose first and work up.. see how the plant
    reacts to it.

Keep the Q's coming man.. don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help!

18. Ah your so damn helpful like one of the most helpful people on GC i've met so far lol
    one of my plants names are going to be Experimentalist. hopefully a female plant :D
    im going to copy and paste this whole convo into a word document so I have it if I ever need help again or think about something i'll check and you probally awnsered it for me and i forgot so i'd check the word document...lol yeah I think i have pretty much everything I needed to asked awnsered ....and thank you very much for all your help...
    it doesn't have a like actual TAIL but my seed has a white like thing comming out of it (LOL...im perverted.) its not like an actual tail but its there ...but I don't have any blood meal and other stuff to put it in yet have to wait till tommarrow. Hopefully i'll have posted my setup...again thanks much for all your help.

19. haha I appreciate that man, I try.. I remember asking questions similar to yours once, so
    I know how it goes but after awhile it becomes second nature. Trust me :)

Don't be a stanger around here.. come by even when you don't have any quesions..
    pick threads at random and read them, and read the guides at the top of the forums.. lots
    of great advice in them.

Since you're going to name a plant after me, that kinda makes me its god father.. so
    I'll expect lots of pictures and updates on its progress!

Keep in touch!

20. #20 FuzzyNug, Mar 1, 2009

Idk if I am able to keep updating...possibly every other week or 2-3 becuase It's my sisters camera...and its like vaulable so she doesn't let anyone touch but her haha
    i'll try though man. on monday i'm gettin 1/2 O ...thats gonna be sweet. just hope I find some seeds :O and also....Do you think if I asked my supplier that he doesnt need to take seeds out will he be offended becus he thinks ill grow and take his business kind of? idk