Whatcha feedin 'em Worms' Followup Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Inthedirt4good, Sep 27, 2011.

1. As fall is now approaching and i have been woefully neglectful a couple questions if i may.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've collected about a loose bushel of stinging nettle and yellow yarrow i plan to dehydrate and store (paper bag, news paper strips method as outlined for other purposes)
    *Its kinda fun though a work friend questions my sanity and my partner and ridicules me to a mildly unacceptable level of inquiry :p

Couple questions if anyone happens to drop by;

A. Queen Anne's Lace or Wild Carrot, as a tea used to rid ones self of parasites (apparently for birth control to??)
    Worm bin friendly?

B. Any way to leech out de-worming agents from horse or cow manure or if they have a half life sorta thing? (a readily supply but can easily substitute something else)

C. Could there too much of a good thing can you add to much yarrow, or comfry?

If you have knowledge to share please feel free, if this has been covered elsewhere i haven't happened upon it as of yet. :)

i'm guessing that for the sake of conversation that would be coco coir friendly as well as other hempy bucket type soiless mediums?

edit:sorry about the huge pictures, they are not mine, and.. i did try to resize to make'em all fit within the box.

2. #2 MizzaFishKilla, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    A) I don't know
    B) Generally speaking, if you compost your manure a certain amount of time (????) it will break down. I've asked my vet on this and didn't get a very clear answer. I've heard other places here 2 months to compost it and to allow the worming to break down. .
    C) I'd make a small sample batch of your food mixture and feed it to your worms, covering about 25% of the surface area of your bin. See how it goes.

D) Good Luck! BTW - is that first picture white yarrow?? That yellow yarrow is beautiful.

3. Queen Anne's Lace ( daucos carota) has about half of the b vitamins and several other compounds [cite]. IMO, it would be a good addition to a compost pile or used in a botanical tea.

If you were to use the different plants you have available in your compost pile, then run the compost through your worm bin you would create vermi compost that is rich in all of the minerals contained in the plant material.

Your approach to drying and using it is also good as you can add small amounts of the dried materials into your soil mix as you would use alfalfa, kelp, etc. meals. The dried materials can also be used to make botanical teas that are beneficial to your plant's health.

This past summer was a real eye opener to the benefits of using dynamic accumulator plants as plant tonics. It looks like you've got a head start in the useful plants department.

As for the horse manure question, if the pile has worms that have found they're way there, you're good to go. The vermicides used by horse owners will have worn off or deteriorated if the compost/manure worms have begun to colonize the manure.

cheers

chunk

4. #4 Inthedirt4good, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
    Well now :), Thank you gentlemen for responding. i very much appreciate it.

The first picture is of Queen Anne's Lace or Wild Carrot. After spending some time digging about in rich, poorly draining patches i really don't see much of a resemblense to anything resembling a commercially grown carrot. The main tap root itself seems very short and if cooked would probably be less that a biteful. but hey... food is food and hunger the most powerful spice in the world.

speaking of dynamic accumulator plants, i know right were to find a nice patch of wild chicory, perhaps i have a little more 'collecting to do'

Thank you guys for making mention of the vermicides, the worm swarms under the aging piles should have been a dead give-away to the levels of poison, but being the eager beaver figured it might be good to check in anyway.

oh and hey, those aren't pictures i snapped, they came back as part of a google image search.

5. are there any Deciduous plants or weeds that absolutly CANNOT or SHOULD NOT be composted?

6. This article "Is Horse Manure Safe for Organic Gardens" should answer your questions about the vermicide used on horses, cattle, sheep, etc. - Ivermectin.

Like a lot of other drivel that fills blogs by ne'er-do-wells, this issue is so overblown that it's almost comical. Right up there with Cal-Mag ockouts, flushing to remove 'nutes' - et al.

HTH

LD