what you think about this light?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by socal grower, Sep 13, 2004.

1. 1) Its an all in one system. So the light and ballast are together. This thing is gunna be heavy. Make sure you measure out and have the space to place it. Also make sure you can find a stud or something in the ceiling or a stand that you can hang this thing from. Its probably going to be ~15-20pounds.

2) Because its all one the ballast and light are going to be really near each other. This is alot of heat. If you don't have alot of ventilation right now, your going to have to compensate for the heat and proximity of this unit.

I have a 250 all in one set I got for 180 new. If i could do it again I would definately get a system with the light and ballast seperate so I could place the balast far far away to lower heat output.

3) Its only 150...Really you could get 4-5 150wat spiral floros that would equal the output of this in terms of lumens. I would suggest at least 250w eve for 1 or 2 plants. I have 250 on 3 right now and in terms of space ect its just barely enough imo. You want the tops of the palnts like 6-8 inches from the top and with such a small ballast/light it doesn't leave much room to fit many plants under.

4) 84$ is too cheap imo. Buying a new balast seperately can cost 60-80 itself or more. I don't see how this can be any good at the price its at in terms of quality and output. Like I said the cheapest 250w hps system I could find from a reputable dealer was 170$.

5) Its ebay. I don't like ebay at all. To many scammers.

6) Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the lighting system. Even at 1-2 plants, the next step up to a 250 could be alot in terms of yeild and output.

So i think the main points are remember, that this thing is going to be heavy and big. A 250w is going to be just as big and heavy same balaast pretty much with a different light fixture. I personally would go ahead and spend the extra cash for a 250w. If not I would go with 6-7 150w spiral flouros. Thats a hell of a lot more lumens than your 150 and getting close to a 250.

And after you are done, you can go ahead and use the floros around the house. I don't think you will want to show the hps around to anyone :)

Personally I may sell my hps after this first grow and just make a crazy floro setup. I like the low energy use and the fact that they don't really put out much heat. They are also usable for multiple purposes.

Hope this helps some.

2. thanks for the info...not even gonna fool with a 150 now. might just do the shoplight thing.

3. try doing a search on ebay for ECOLITE'S, these are 125w flouro's and cheap to run, they give out very little heat which means you can get them close to the plants. See the thread in the Absolute Begginers section titled 'flowering using 125w flouro's' - you'll see the set up and results there.