What would you want from a Strategy Game?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Flemian, Aug 12, 2012.

1. As the title reads..

For me it would be as much realism as possible. strong points. cities. open fields. large maps where it takes time to move an army and choose your battle ground.

2. So I take it you mean RTS? Which PC or console?

I really liked C&C Red Alert 2 for PC. It's one of my favorites. Also, even though it's super simple and isn't at all what you described... Advanced Wars is great. You wouldn't think it could excel at it's genre given its simplicity, but it has a charm to it. Its a GBA game so you may have to resort to an emulator to enjoy it. If you have a smartphone it can be a great game for phone emulators

Though I guess on some maps/missions it can take a while to develop your armies and choose where to fight at in AW.

3. I would want multiple races where every race is really balanced but all the races have drastically different playstyles.

4. I had Advance Wars on my old phone. I would play for hours upon hours. That and Fire Emblem!

5. Sounds like you're looking for something the Total War series offer.

6. Final Fantasy Tactics
    Disgaea
    Command and Conquer 2: Yuri's Revenge
    Shogun Total War 1/2
    Homeworld 2

7. You changed the thread title?

8. lots and lots of stats to analyze

9. Not at all..

10. the ability to go around an "build" weapons, primarily in fantasy or medieval. now before you go around telling me that already exists, hear me out
    you can mine what type of materials you want, you can choose its overall shape, enchantments etc. then you can choose colour, and stylize such as diamonds, gems, and other stones to make it look personal

i would also like a more deeply developed game formation, being how you play and interact in the game, will influence everything from random NPCs, to main and said missions/quests, to the rewards received

11. A remake of Age of Empires II

seriously that game had it spot on, I loved it back in the day and still do now.

12. Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

13. Call me weird, but I prefer the non-combat aspects to strategy games. I'm always a pacifist in Civ IV, going for the culture win. Micromanaging your empire/country/base, keeping it running without being at war 24/7. Of course this is just for PC strategy games. When it comes to games like Fire Emblem & Final Fantasy Tactics, it's all about the characters and classes. I'd spend hours creating the perfect character, only pursuing quests to unlock more classes & abilities. Maybe that's why I never finished one...

14. Yeah.. it kind of disapoints me how they've stepped away from that aspect in the way that age of empires and command and conquer would let you lay out your base, Build walls and the such. Or even gathering resources.

15. #15 Dannyscott, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    I could never get into that game sadly. . .

Every race and all the units were the same, it made every skirmish/campagin such a drab.

Now that being said Total War is something OP should try, especially with all the mods that lead to hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Now if I was a studio with a 100 million dollar budget....

I would make an RTS similar to total war in the aspect of the strategy maps. set in the near future in similarity to the simulations of Paradox interactive moving divisions and large compact tactical units around but being able to zoom in and make operational and strategic decisions and witness them unfold. While consolidating your industry, social, and political bases to your advantages.

Such as having options like working elections, rigging them or abolishing them and instituting different arrays of rule to your liking and discretion. All the while perhaps choosing how you want to lay out your nationalized or command economy or simply leaving it to the entrepreneurs and financial sectors with their own foresight and your subsidies, encouraging laissez faire or non-interventionalist policies. Having tons of random events and constant non-stop interaction between other nationalities and lots of other things going on in the world other than seemingly everything pitted against you.

Yea I know this sounds a lot like Civ, but I want a more age-specific version where you don't just see your units take on others as massive lumbering figures walking over the land and not taking 5 years a turn and more like days and weeks a turn....

I like the idea of starting off battles as a briefing with your hand-picked and appointed command staff in your office chambers, then moving into a command and control information center viewing the kilometers wide field of battle through 100kmx100km or more size holographic/lcd grid map where you can zoom in and per se direct the field colonels and generals from that room whilst constantly getting advice and counsel from your officers and marshals beside you, and you can choose whether to direct certain war events yourself or relegate subordinates with all kinds of various abilities, traits, and attributes to make decisions for you and if you do not like it at any time you can step in or dismiss them at your leisure.

Maybe I can lay out a scenario. You are Israel and bordering Syria to the North has seen a radical regime change worse from the last one. You could choose to bolster your borders and set up a no-fly-zone and a tight-knit missile defense grid, then when it came time to make a first strike after hearing intelligence that the opposing regime has been attempting to assassinate defense officials in parliament. Coordinate ballistic missile strikes on their hardpoints, deploy tac teams via airborne/helicopters to capture their strategic equipment and land many battalions of marines on the beachheads far behind the bulwark of defenses between your borders and press south along with Turkish allies to surprise them from the rear and eliminate their will to fight with such devastating flanking maneuvers and quickly spur on a new-er regime change in which you can install a puppet/satellite government or let the will of people decide or let the U.N. come in and handle the war-torn country. Or occupy the country and put the populace to the sword and direct the governor-militant to move all of the Islamic ethnicity into concentration camps in which you will begin your genocide campaign against the middle-eastern peoples.

I know this game doesn't seem possible, however I can dream...

16. I'm right there with you man, I still play On a LAN with friends. It's easily my favorite game of all time.

17. The thing I want to see is a MMO style RTS. And no I don't mean something like WoW...I just mean a persistent online world with a huge constant player base. Multiple sides...like maybe 10 or so different races or factions to play with. You all team up and battle to take over the world. Once (if ever) a faction takes over the entire planet the game will reset itself and go again. I think this would be hard to successfully accomplish but would be incredibly fun.

18. [quote name='"PharCyDeD"']The thing I want to see is a MMO style RTS. And no I don't mean something like WoW...I just mean a persistent online world with a huge constant player base. Multiple sides...like maybe 10 or so different races or factions to play with. You all team up and battle to take over the world. Once (if ever) a faction takes over the entire planet the game will reset itself and go again. I think this would be hard to successfully accomplish but would be incredibly fun.[/quote]

There was a game called World War II Online had a feature like that Supposibly. That when an army captured a city it was recognized threw the servers and spawn locations would move.

19. Neat, I will look into it :)

20. I have played the total war games... I currently still play MTW2, ETW, Shogun 2, FOTS.