What would you do with this space and materials?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Ghost Grow, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Hey dudes!

Just moved and have a whole spare bathroom to use as a grow room. The shower will be great for watering and checking things out, and the room connects off my main room, so the smell is double barrier-ed.

However, I can't figure out how to exchange the hot air. Since the room is big enough, it's okay if I don't, but I'd rather have the hot air out, and also not let the smell build up in there. I have a big inline fan and filter kit I used in my grow box, but I can't figure out where to put it or where to vent through...I have one window in the bathroom, but it is directly across from a neighbor who will definitely report me, so I've already put an innocent looking cloth over it and then a light proof material over that so that they won't be able to see anything, especially the light. However, that means the one spot to filter heat is out. I can filter back into the room, but i'd rather not cut a hole in the door...The ceiling is hard and unable to cut through, otherwise I'd vent into the attic.

Here are some shots of what I have going on.

Light Set-Up
    [​IMG]

View of Covered Window (from other side of room):
    [​IMG]

Hard Ceiling:
    [​IMG]

Outside Door:
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas? What would you do with this room if you had the following materials:

-dehumidifier
    -big drum charcoal filter
    -inline duct fan and charcoal filter kit with ducting
    -light proof reflective material

I currently have the lights suspending from a clothes hanger stand with sun-rise light hangers.

Hit me with some clever ideas or plans, and a solution to the heat issue.

2. I can only say this because I have removed these to replace them, so I know that even though people think of them as stationary/immovable objects, they are anything but. I am speaking of course about the toilet and sink. I would pull these before starting anything else. Besides, pulling the toilet will give you about a 5" pipe to run your exhaust into. There are issues with gases from the sewer backing up into the room, but people have done it.. up to you.

I was thinking about dividing the room for vegging/cloning/mother/flowering/etc, but removing the sink will remove easy-access to water. This means you'll need to get water from the shower. This means that you can't have a flowering area in your shower area even if you've made a divider sinc eyou'll need access whenever you can to get water easily (12 hours off means you can't interrupt it)... the same goes for the other side of the room.. You can't interrupt a flowering process by walking through it to get to the shower where you need to check up on the clones, etc...

Ok.. so... 1 room.. Regardless if you will be buying/building a box for vegging/etc, you'll need to mylar the entire area.. That tile isn't bright while, and you won't be painting them, so it's the best bet.

Since you'll want to get the most out of this room (just assuming since you have 8 plants).. You'll need more lighting.. I don't know what wattage you have there, but I would go 2X400, maybe 3X400 if you have the money. Electricity costs have to be calculated as well...

BTW, those are some happy looking plants... I hate seeing sad plants.

3. Thanks, this goes a way into helping my planning. Was thinking about ordering some more lights for the next grow, and I've already built a new veg box to put in the shower corner, so that I can veg and flower in the same room. This may sound like a nube question, but how easy is it to remove a sink and toilet? I've never done anything like that before, lol.

4. #4 Mr.302DE, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
    Toilet... Clean it first! ;) Turn off the water, flush a few times to empty it out (there will be some water leftover in the elbow of the toilet, so grab a few towels)... Disconnect water from the toilet.

Now, you will see 2 nuts near the base of the toilet, If you've never seen these they may be covered by little plastic caps. Take the caps off by prying them open with a flathead screwdriver, then take off the nuts.

Rock the toilet back and forth slightly as there is a wax seal (only $6.00 at Home Depot if you want to replace it), be gentle with it, and then lift it out of place.

You never really think about it, but that whole thing is just held in by 2 nuts.

The sink is actually a tad more difficult, simply because each one can be installed differently. You are very lucky to not have a basin or cabinet, since it's a pedestal type.

Turn off the water, disconnect the hoses from the back of the sink (need towels). Then you have to get the sink out of there... it may just use a bit of caulking or maybe a few screws or something, but I am sure that it's not exactly Welded to the floor.

If you have a scale in your bathroom, this is a tough one.. You'll need to pick it up with either 1 or 2 hands and then walk it out of the room. Be CAREFUL! These may weigh up to 4 lbs! If you need help, get a friend :hello:

5. presumming you dont want to be making huge changes i would open the window and put a vent into the cover you have put over the window, i guess it will have frosted glass so should be able to fit some ducting up, this will be fresh in

now take the bathroom door off the hinges and store away for replacement later.

get some velcro and some sheeting. seal up door way and then near top you can put your vent

either way you will have air flow in to out, which ever way you wish it to flow

hope this a bit easier for you :)

6. I think I'll take the toilet out and then get fresh air in from the window. This seems like a combo that could work for me. Thanks so much for the help and suggestions, guys.:smoke:

7. Don't forget to post pics of your room.. Subscribed :hello:

8. Any updates of the room after conversion? :cool: