What would the Federal Government do if all 50 states suddenly legalized marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Vollont, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We want it descheduled, not rescheduled.

2. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']

Its to their benefit to legalize it right now and they don't do it.....

They spend billions fighting something that would bring hundreds of millions back in taxes lol, they are fucking idiots[/quote]

The thing is that too many people benefit from the prohibition. You know those hundreds of billions they spend? Yeah, somebody receives that money.

Instead, we need to get industry lobbyists out of government so that we can make choices based on benefitting the PEOPLE and not CORPORATIONS.

Interviews with Obama before he became popular can be found with him stating that the drug war is a failure, and everyone knows about the Choom Gang. But see what happens when he gets into office?

3. Cut down department of labor and 50x the size of the DEA to compensate

4. Think about all of the DEA agents and people that will be out of jobs though. Because without POT a majority of the drugs are not consumed... I mean they still are but they are not as easy to catch as pot. Those drug addicts stay under the radar while only the dealers get caught. With pot, you got civilians suffering from employment difficulty and just paranoia because of the negativity that comes with pot. It's like wearing a criminal cloak, even though you aren't one so it makes the user sort of go to the underworld. But still, nobody wants to take the jobs away from those DEA agents living in the suburbs.

5. It isn't a treaty, it's a UN resolution on drugs policy. Most of the western world is a party to the resolution.

6. When alcohol became illegal, didn't it become legal again because the states challenged it? It's not like Fed. Gov wised up back then and said "hey, it doesn't work." I thought it was the states that first did that?

Well anyways, I wouldn't have a problem it becoming legal on a federal scale. The reason why Philip Morris is allowed to put all those nasty chemicals in cigs is because(if i remember correctly) the FDA didn't really do anything about it till around the 50s, but by then it was too late to make them change anything. So even if pot is being sold by Philip Morris, the possibility of them using chemicals in growing pot can be swayed either way.

Even if the debate was about selling natural, organic, grown pot, there would be businesses propping up that would sell natural organic grown pot. It's almost like with food these days. You can go to walmart and buy groceries there, but theres also other companies like Trader Joes that sell a more quality and organic product. Theres always two sides in a free market.

I don't decriminalization for a lot of reasons, but the main one is that it doesn't really exclude you from prosecution. Not entirely that is. Look at NYC for example, sure the NYPD is supposed to give you a ticket if they catch you with weed under an ounce, but they still take you back to the station and what not.

7. Decrim would be an okay step. But not at all what we really need. It would still be wasting money and resources.

Basically my main non-smoker talking point is that we need to let the Police worry about the real crime.

8. I'm wondering how when the government eventually has to legalize it how are they going to do it? "we realize we've been stupid all these years but marijuana is harmless and is legalized" like how are they going to admit they knew it was harmless all along? They'll have a 'landmark' study that shows how marijuana isn't harmful and then legalize it

9. The ones against it will still be against it (most of them anyways) and continue fighting it as a political issue until eventually they are all weeded out (retired) from politics.

At least that's my guess.

EDIT: pun unintended

10. I don't know what they would do, but I'd be moving south :D

11. I think that the original poster is actually right. I took law class in college and they also said that if all 50 states was to change or legalize, then federal would have to follow. Once the states can over power federal then I think federal has to change so that its inline with what the states are doing. This isn't for just marijuana but really for anything that is illegal on the federal side while the states do the opposite one at a time. Eventually so many states will have it legal that you just can't fight it and instead will have to go with the flow and legalize it on the federal level. Lets hope, but I think it could take 5 to 10 years.

12. There have been studies done that show that it's practically harmless. People are like hurrrr it gives you cancer, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SMOKE IT. Eat it if you so please. The killing brain cell theory has been disproved so many times around its unbelievable. And the gateway theory is all about self control. If your stupid, you move on to other shit. If you got your shit straight, then you can control yourself. I was talking to someone about it and they were like "it's kinda harmless except it kills brain cells" like I thought people would be remotely educated by now?

13. If a black man legalizes weed, trust you won't see another black man in office for a long ass time....I don't really blame Obama! I wouldn't wanna be responsible for that shit either lol. That might set us (black ppl) back lol

14. i believe this is what you are looking for: the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs from 1961

warning: its a bear of a read.

15. I wouldn't bet on it.
    I would fucking campaign for obama if he did the right thing.
    btw, I'm pretty damn white, too. :smoke:

16. If anything it might set you forward.
    Unless Obama announces it while chugging a forty, in a skull cap, with his new gold grill in I think you're good lol.

EDIT: Not being racist.. Where I grew up white ppl do the same shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8M0WtU7vs]Paul Wall "Break Em Off" ft. Lil' Keke - YouTube[/ame]

17. The DEA wouldn't be going anywhere...
    Unless cannabis effects the sales of ecstasy, heroin, speed, pharmaceuticals and cocaine based products I wouldn't count on them losing much of anything.
    Maybe a slight decrease in funding and a few lay offs but that's it.

18. [quote name='"Minge With Odor"']

The DEA wouldn't be going anywhere...
    Unless cannabis effects the sales of ecstasy, heroin, speed, pharmaceuticals and cocaine based products I wouldn't count on them losing much of anything.
    Maybe a slight decrease in funding and a few lay offs but that's it.[/quote]

They would lose a huge amount of money its not just a war on drugs its basically war on pot but they probably would stay and just cut off the supply from like mexico if anything

19. you have the order wrong.
    If we get a majority of states that are pro medical. Then we get a president who is pro weed THEN we get a DEA that is pro weed.

You don't need every state as it would be unnecessary to change the law.

#mobrule

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.