Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What would smoke look like in zero-g

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by chiveschoncybil, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hey guys whats going on i was sitting around with a buddy the other day and we got to talking what would smoke look like in zero g; would it still dissipate or just come out as one huge chunk? What do you guys think?

2. like in space? or is that some smoke tecknuque zero-g lol but if ur talking about the iss in space it would look like little beads  and it wuld have the density of water, it would be like a blod due to the small amount of resin/tar and a small bit of spent thc in the smoke so yeah it would look like a blob as if you blew a bubble with smoke in it execpt it wouldnt pop

3. Ask him

Sent from my Desire HD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

4. [quote name="kashkr0p" post="19345681" timestamp="1389807264"]Ask him Sent from my Desire HD using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]That would defiantly be an experience. To look over Earth, i would kill to be him for a day.

5. You couldn't smoke in 0 gravity. Flames need oxygen, no gravity=no oxygen=no flame=no smoke. The only possible way to try, would be in some sort of oxygen bubble, like a space shuttle or the space station. Even then, it'd be EXTREMELY dangerous. Like the ultimate hotbox, that would end up suffocating you to death.

6. Well, we know that you can't smoke in space. I think his question was: If somehow we took a drag on earth, held it, and then blew smoke in outer space, what would the smoke look like?

7. You could do it with an herb iron! Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. [quote name="Ganja ☤" post="19345976" timestamp="1389810010"]You couldn't smoke in 0 gravity. Flames need oxygen, no gravity=no oxygen=no flame=no smoke. The only possible way to try, would be in some sort of oxygen bubble, like a space shuttle or the space station. Even then, it'd be EXTREMELY dangerous. Like the ultimate hotbox, that would end up suffocating you to death.[/quote]Uhh no gravity doesn't mean no oxygen...and they have filtration systems on the space station and atuff

9. Yeah oxygen is needed for combustion, but not for gravitySent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Otherwise other plants would have oxygen2 presentSent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Whoa he must be from Canada

12. Nah dude they got air scrubbers up there. How else do you think they survive?

13. #15 Ganja ☤, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    [quote name="just one toke" post="19346874" timestamp="1389819469"]Uhh no gravity doesn't mean no oxygen...and they have filtration systems on the space station and atuff[/quote]That is why I said it is possible smoke in an oxygen bubble like the space station? And no you cannot have oxygen without gravity unless it is in an oxygen bubble... It is the only possible way.
    Not made to filter that amount of smoke. The reason fire is the way it is on earth, is because of our atmosphere, and even though the space station has a similar atmosphere as earth's, fire still spreads more quickly in the ISS. This is the difference between earth flames, and a flame on the ISS, which I think is much more interesting than smoke would be. [​IMG]My guess, is that it would be pretty similar to smoke on earth, and would just dissipate more quickly. It depends on tons of variables though.

14. Wrong. You can dab with a domeless nail that heats up by itself, forget what they're called, but you can do it!

15. that's not smoke though thats vapor. 

Um, not wrong? Do you even know what fire is?

Fire
    1 Rapid oxidation, usually with the evolution of heat and light; heat fuel, oxygen and interaction of 
    the three. 

http://www.nwcg.gov/pms/pubs/glossary/pms205.pdf

17. When they go up in space the can have oxygen is wht I'm saying, how do you think the breathe? I'm positive they can conduct an experiment.

18. #20 Ganja ☤, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    I'm pretty sure I stated this in my first post.

And I'm sure it has been seen before. It was probably so uninteresting that no one cared to talk about it or video it. In the conditions like the ISS, I don't see any reason smoke would act much different.

Heat won't rise in zero gravity. So instead of the smoke rising, it would dissipate spherically. Also it would dissipate faster because the reason it stays in cloud form so long is because of gravity.

All smoke is, is a bunch a micro particles. It would react with zero gravity in the same way that everything else would react. So instead of risking billions of dollars and a bunch of lives, it would be safer to use vapor to test this. But like I said, I'm sure it is not very interesting.