What would justify killing, to you?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Made You Look, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Straightforward ethical question I've been thinking a lot about lately.

I don't ever want to have to kill anyone in my lifetime - I strongly believe that only loving and respecting one another has the power to dispel fear and violence already present in the world.

But, I can't help but think that if I end up living through volatile times - say a societal or economic collapse, revolution, marshall law, terrorist attacks, what have you - what would I do if my life or the lives of my family members were threatened?

It's a tough question. Personally, I think I would only ever kill a man or woman who would kill myself or my parents or brother immediately if I didn't kill them instead. And I think I'd regret for the rest of my life that I found myself in a situation where it actually came to that.

Anyway, what's your view on the matter?

2. Only if my life is in danger, or the life of one of my friends or family.

I hope I never have to face something like that, because it would destroy me for the rest of my life.

3. Someone has to threaten the whole of humanity, or lack logic and reasoning to a point in which he wished to cause harm senselessly.

Such people are useless.

4. But what is your sense?

I think that you either you have to be in a defense nature, protecting your life or others,

5. From what I've learned... this is the kind of question you cannot truly answer until you have lived through it.

We can only hope to be as lucky as to never be in such a situation.

6. Everything and nothing

7. #7 FuturisticRyan, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    I wonder if murder becomes like a drug.You get a high from killing.I think it may become addicting.Theres been some traumatic experiences in my life i havent felt much for.If i had to im pretty sure i could kill someone,and feel no remorse.By that point theyd deserve it.Fuck em.Prolly did em a favor in the 1st place.

8. Straight from the mouth of an enlightened man "If someone pulls a gun on you, immediately push the gun away, grab the throat and yank, it will tear or at least dislodge the trachea."

If you are 100% sure you are in mortal danger, killing is A-Ok

9. Life and death

10. If they take my Butterfinger. Or if I wanted a Klondike bar I could.

11. Define 100% sure? What if you're just 90%?

12. Probably nothing because I don't want to go to prison.

13. Everyone will have there own personal reasons.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRMtHSkWF3E]Dear Leonard - YouTube[/ame]

14. Nothing. There is not one thing in this world that would justify taking the life of another. Justify is just another word for rationalize, trying to assign positive moral values to negative actions by coming up with reasons to make it morally ok.

Nothing makes it ok to take someones life.

15. That's the thing. Nothing is truly 100 percent in this world.

There are situations with odds im favor if certain outcomes, but nothing is 100 percent.

If someone pulls a gun on me and threatens my life, sure I don't KNOW there gonna kill me. If you ask me though, anyone stupid enough to do that is playing with fire and just asking to get shot.

If I feel like im in real danger, and someone is threatening to harm me or people close to me, im gonna do everything in my power to stop the motherfucker.

Simple as that

16. Perhaps you mean taking a rational decision, like deciding on whether to execute someone for committing a crime? In a moment when threatened with danger of demise, you will instinctively do something to preserve your life or the life of someone else. There is nothing rational about those moments. The rational mind is not present. You will act first, then consider your actions afterwards.

17. That is like...your opinion man.

18. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']Nothing. There is not one thing in this world that would justify taking the life of another. Justify is just another word for rationalize, trying to assign positive moral values to negative actions by coming up with reasons to make it morally ok.

Nothing makes it ok to take someones life.[/quote]

I disagree. If someone breaks into your house or comes at you armed or something along those lines, go ahead.

19. But you are assuming that killing is inherently immoral, which is not. Killing is just that, to kill. It is not wrong or right from an objective point of view, its just an action like running or flexing your muscle or eating. Whether you think it is wrong or right, is irrelevant. Universal or absolute morals and ethics has never existed and never will. At most, they are our personal and subjective values which can be expressed through societal mores and laws and are a product of our cultural upbringing and biological survival strategies. :wave:

20. If i kill someone im sure i would find a way to justify it afterwords