what would it really take to make weed legal in the US

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by smoketheherb, May 17, 2004.

1. Yeah I think tha's called medical marijuana...

el-producto

It's not a gateway drug.... I mean, people who would use it as a gateway drug are gonna go through that gate anyways. They either drink or use a harder drug or something, until they have had the hardest drug of all or find their favorite then they binge like a mother f'er. "Gateway drug" is just another propoganda bs slogan.
    You see, imagine weed never having existed... now the next drug up would be considered gateway by the gov, just to keep it illegal (which would keep the rest illegal too - it's like bringing a tree down, instead of limbing it and taking it down piece by piece, they go for the trunk and it all goes down).
    If they can make people think the least bad drug is bad enough to be illegal, then the people will follow like sheep when it comes to the rest of the drugs or what have you.

To the original poster

heh, I forgot to say..... If you want to free the weed, you have to think like a weed... What goes through a weeds mind, does it really want to be free? Maybe not, maybe it is demented and likes being oppressed....? Nobody ever thought about how the weed feels.

Lol, just screwin' around... Here's what I wanted to say: If you want to free the weed, you have to think like the government - Instead of prevention we need protention (heh, probably isn't even a word, just sounds funny and rhimes with prevention)... but really, we need to do the opposite of prevention, we need to gather around schools, no wait, we need to kidnap all the schoolbus drivers around the country and ductape them to a chair in our basment, then we will mascarade as the bus driver and then when we pick up all the kids at school, we take them all on a magic bus ride and get em all high, and feed em all munchie food, that way we've acomplished our goals of doing the opposite of prevention.... it just might work.... Of course while you'll be driving, you will have to trust that they'll all puff puff pass, untill it gets back to you, at which point you'll load another bowl and pass it the opposite way.... then drop em all off at home if you can find their houses that is...

heh, everything turns into a joke... and I'm trying to be serious, at least that's how it starts.... But think einstien, equal but opposite reaction, and also think prevention + protention (lmao), and we will freely smoke then

wow I love weed

2. ok by the time im outta college it will more than likely be legalized, but from what i hear (please verify) weed is almost legal in CA and nevada, people say if you ave over an OZ than its illegal and under an OZ then you get nothing except confiscated.

3. Get rid of John Walters and all his stupid lies. Fucking moron that man is.

His job title is czar, something is wrong with that.

4. nice

5. also true in Michigan here in michigan if we have under an oz its only a 25 dollar fine and pretty much everybody can pay that out of pocket

6. WOW! This sounds awesome. Is the media in Alaska actually covering this at all? Do you have any idea what the chances of this passing are?

...I came out of the woodwork to post this :)

7. i personally think we should get all the polititions high
    and every one should read the book
    Why Marijuana Should Be Legal its pretty good i read it like a week before i got locked ^

8. Alcohol and tobacco do as much, if not more damage than most "illegal" substances.

Why are they legal and not pot? One reason is public support. Think back to your HS history class when they discussed prohibition. Sure, the government tried to ban alcohol, but people - people like you and I continuted to produce, trade and consume.

My feeling is, if something is consumed in its natural state (weed) and is not chemically altered, then it should be legal.

9. Back in the 1950s a politician made a campaign out of the fact that a small group of Beatniks in southern California were using pot, he made such a big deal of it that he got elected to the office he was running for, and then he had to make good on his campaign promises. That was the start of the drug war.
    Since that time the politicians have been beating that drum and getting a lot of mileage out of it. At the same time the general public hearing about the new drug got curious about what all the fuss was about, and the rebellious youth of the time started trying it and those that liked it started to use it, and the moor people that used it the moor the politicians beat the drum of oppression, and started to pass moor, and moor laws to protect us from our selves.
    In the mean time the black market losing there profits from boot leg booze taped in to the drug market.
    If you take a long hard look at our society you can see the problem with legal marijuana;
    If you just take out the marijuana issue out of the picture you will get a drug agency that is to large and over funded, so there will be no new jails, cut backs in budgets, lay offs, and politicians with out a cause.
    If you woke up tomorrow and marijuana was legal here is what I think would happen;
    Black market profits would drop by 35%, all the pending marijuana cases would be dropped and all of lawyers would lose there profits from these cases, every person in jail or prison would be let out flooding the job market making unemployment go up by an unknown factor, government agencies would lose the numbers of easy arrests that make there funding what it is today, and they would end up having to lay off people, also adding to the unemployment problem.

10. Many Americans(not all) fail to see the big picture. Marijuana is currently illegal for two reasons, votes and money. If it was legal the polititions would need a new bandwagon to ride for votes from the conservative public(especially since rock music isn't cutting it anymore). The money issues are too many to list, but the poster above me had some good ones. That's why marijuana needs to be regulated, not completely legal.

If it was a regulated substance(similar to alcohol) responsible adults would be allowed to live without fear. Lawyers and the courts would still obtain money from DUIs and other similar charges and taxation similar to tobacco would bring in extra cash. Still, the government would make less money than with it being illegal, but at least it would be an honest way to make the money.

The biggest problem right now is a few bad seeds give pot smokers a bad image. Not everyone is an unemployed burnout with no ambition in life. In fact, most people who smoke marijuana(even everyday) are respectable and responsible citizens. Of course I'm just preaching to the choir right now. But my point is until the respectable citizens(teachers, doctors, scientists, etc) come out of the closet in mass numbers and admit they smoke we'll never see a change. Teenagers and average citizens can protest all they want, but without the higher class on their side nobody in the government is going to listen. The best we can hope for in the following years is a nationwide decriminalization. Don't count on legality or regulation any time soon in America.

11. unfortunately hes right and getting congress stoned is the dumbest idea ive ever heard

12. Wait for all the powerful uber-rightwing old people to die.

13. i think the real reason that weed is illegal is because of the negative propaganda. when my dad was in high school the sherriff game to his house and told his parents that he was injecting weed into his penis. no shit true fukin story man.

14. You are absolutely retarded. The CIA....Wallstreet? Our money that we spend on herb gets dispersed between our dealers/growers. Unless they invest their money into the stock market or decide to pay federal taxes on their sales (which they won't), the CIA and Wallstreet won't see a dime of our herb money

15. We got to get it started in California again. America needs an example that taxing and regulating marijuana can happen without the nation imploding.

16. 4 yrs later and my have things changed.

now i have such a card and i don't have to worry about the police bothering me. :hello:

17. I believe that this "gateway" theory comes when a person, who has heard all this bs propaganda from the government their whole lives, smokes weed and realizes that it is not bad at all. They then wonder about drugs, like meth and coke or whatever, and how bad they are, seeing as weed is "so bad" and when they did that nothing but good things happened(generally). It is giving the children of our world the wrong idea about drugs. We are teaching them that cannabis is as detrimental and hazordus as these other illegal drugs. They are kids, they can only know what we choose to teach them, and if we continue with this false education people will continue to use fake info as basis for their daily decisions. We are living in a "fake" world, where the reality that the world as a whole believes we are living is anything but the truth.

Also, i feel that knowledge is our best way of making this happen. When the people of this country realize that they have been and are still to this day lied about hemp and its uses, both medical and industrial, the only rational thing to do will be legalization. We are destroying this world and its beauty because we have made cannabis illegal! The emperor wears no clothes is an amazing book i believe everyone on this forum should read. Spread this knowledge around to your friends so that their voices and votes may be heard when the time comes. If we all do a little it will mean so much. Just Say KNOW!

check out Partnership for a Drug-Free America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Criticism section on the bottom of the page. It is things like this that people don't realize!

18. This and this.

19. yea dude, I totally agree with that. Texas needs to get on the band wagon and legalize pot.
    I bet if cowboys smoked in the old western movies, that it would be legal nowadays..