What Would Happen? Space Question!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Dizzy, Sep 26, 2022.

1. If they ever figure out how to bend space/time, it shouldn't take us very long to go from point A to point B. Or a wormhole. But right now, it can only be proven in theory. But if it is ever discovered, we should qualify to join the National Federation of Planets. Sorry, I had to put that in there. If it wasn't for Star Trek, I wouldn't have the knowledge that I have about space.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I love Socrates. He was way ahead of his time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Love Star Trek, especially TNG. Friggin awesome. There is a lot of stuff about how space works, even if it isn't obvious at first. Made me very interested. That's the beauty of science fiction... you have to know something about the reality of space and astronomy to write real science fiction... fantasy is where you can make stuff up but science fiction... it's like writing true crime, you have to know something about how cops do their work etc... some fiction is like that. It's great bc I get more out of watching science fiction, with characters and a story, than a textbook about astronomy lol. It's my ADD lol. But yeah I have learned a lot from Star trek and also Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. Ever read that? It's epic.

4. I have heard of Gene's other works, but haven't been able to find them. Yes, you have to know rocket science to write the way they did in Star Trek. I guess Gene wanted it to be science fact. A lot of things that Gene envisioned became fact IRL in later years. Doors automatically opening when you trigger the motion sensor, ipads, 3-D chess, reusable shuttle craft that can be used over and over to leave and enter the planets atmosphere, lasers, etc. The actors in the original series even influenced children to become astronomers, engineers, scientist, and even astronauts. A woman of color became the first woman of color to be accepted into the space program and even had a small part in TNG episode. My oldest daughter is a Star Wars fan and I keep telling her that Gene Roddenberry was out saving the galaxy when George Lucas was still in diapers. And then they came out with a commercial with Mark Hamill and Patrick Stewart having a duel. My daughter and I enjoyed those commercials.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Start Trek TOS 1967
    The Next Generation
    Voyager..
    Deep Space 9 ... Darkest but has held up best.
    Enterprise..

Farscape... Well worth the watch.
    Firefly.. Canceled before its time.
    Battlestar Galactica. New or Orig both worth the watch.
    <--- might be a SciFi junky.
    LMAO
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Me too!!! the only one I haven't seen is Firefly. I've been into sci-fi and horror since I was 10. I remember, as a latchkey child, I would come home from grade school one block away and grab one of my dad's Dr. Peppers, sit down in front of the tv and watch Star Trek TOS. Before any homework was done. The perks of two parents working.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Wow that's too true!!! A lot of stuff from Star trek became real. Gene definitely had a sense of things. I would love to see if we could ever transport like in Beam me up Scotty lol. Do you remember Barclay (was that his name?). From TNG? The really anxious guy in the science department who lacked confidence? I loved him, I related to him. There was this episode(*SPOILER) where he was phobic about transporting and Troi and the others were trying to help him with it. Then Chief O'Brian told him he has a similar phobia of spiders and that helped Barclay to overcome his fear and he ended up saving a bunch of lives. Killer episode.
    I love the food replicator best though. If I could just tell a computer to give me some Bolognese without having to cook it? Hell yeah! :D

8. Oh yeah, another Iatch key kid! I loved coming home to an empty house with just me. No stress, nobody breathing down my neck lol. I would do all kinds of things I shouldn't do like eat sugar out of the bowl lol. But yeah I would watch Star Trek a lot too. They had it in sindication I think on channel 17.(PA, USA).

9. Speaking of "Beam me up" I am wondering if some genius, Elon Musk or whoever, might take something from Gene to create the ability to teleport. Wouldn't it be great to just TELEPORT from one planet or one Galaxy to another? Lol the main thing is light years of course but who knows!

10. Yes!! I remember that episode! He kept seeing something in the transporter beam and it was another person.
    Don't get me started on food replicators, I would weigh 500 lbs. by now if they existed. Cheesecake with different flavors, Texas-sized T-bone. The possibilities are endless.

11. It was on one of the local channels we pick up coming from Evansville, IN. We lived in Owensboro, KY at that time. 1972-1974, maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey ever bump into Johnny Depp as a kid? :D. Kidding. He was born in Owensboro KY too and lived there till he was 7 I think. Ik, big fan lol.
    But that's cool, I love those old shows.
    Planet of the Apes, the old one with Charlton Heston... that was powerful. The space stuff in that was pretty fascinating. Freaky ending. I won't spoil it though lol.

13. I have seen all of the Planet of the Apes movie. I'm a big sci-fi Trekker. No, never did run into Johnny Depp. He still has relatives living in Owensboro and he does visit them. In fact he was there visiting this past Christmas. A neighbor saw him and asked if he could take a picture with him. He agreed if the man promised that he wouldn't let the cat out of the bag that Johnny Depp was in town until after he left. And the man agreed. After the holidays were over with, the picture was published in the local paper after Depp had left town. We have some good folks in Owensboro. And I think everyone in Owensboro but me knows where his relatives live.

• Winner Winner x 1