What would happen if I put the germinated seed in, but didnt cover it with soil.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Timzy, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Just out of complete curiosity, it will help me understand why it is we do this, and why it works, wont it just block the light and not assist it in growing?

2. it wouldnt have good temp moisture and humidity it needs to sprout plus the light would probally kill the tap root before it got a chance to even sprout

3. I see, if outside in pretty low light, like a cloudy day, could it assist you to not bury it deep down in soil, rather almost be visible to achieve as much light as possible?

4. the wayvi do or did it is i moisten the soil with ph water i germinate by wetting paper towel put seeds inside stick it in a rubber maid container in a dark cabnit 2 -5 days depending on seed then i take the seed with tap root go over to my pots or cups woth a nuber two pencil i push it down to creat a whole about up to my pinky nail maybe a bit deeper pack it down with soil on top firm but gentle keep that soil moist about two to four days later itll sprout

5. Well, i'll take it you know more than me as is, so i'll stick to the traditional way. Thank you! :)

6. im not saying it cant work because ive thrown many of seed on the ground outside and sprouted but i cant tell you if it was on the surface or if the rain assisted it in helping it down a bit as i have not watched them just fpund later

7. Roots need total and complete darkness to thrive so just leaving one exposed on top of the soil is probably going to kill it pretty quick. If you put the tap root down into say a small hole you created for it but didn't fill the hole around the tap root with soil, it would just keep on reaching down into the soil below and would probably pick up and grow after overcoming the unnecessary shock it went through. Always create the best environment possible for the roots of any plant. Though you don't see them, they are the brain of the plant and control everything that happens with it during it's life. Keeping them healthy and happy ensures the foliage of the plant will be the same and your harvest will be the best it can be. Roots of these plants don't like being in constant moisture and prefer defined wet/dry cycles when watering/feeding. In other words, let the container dry almost completely out before you give it anymore liquid...be it nutes or plain pH'd water. Any liquids going into your plant need to be pH'd to a range of 6.3 to 6.7 to avoid root lock up. Not managing your pH and extended watering/feeds with it out of range, will lock up the roots and it can't take in nutrition. Get on the new grower threads here and do some reading. There are several specific threads created just for the new inexperienced grower which contain the basics everyone needs to know to grow a healthy plant. Good luck! TWW