Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What will/did you tell your children about weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Pandog, Mar 17, 2012.

1. [quote name='"SassyMelassy"']

This. My son knows of everything, including the paraphernalia, as simply, "cigarettes" or "tobacco". I don't leave my stuff out for him to come across. I am private about it, but it is unavoidable. I don't smoke cigarettes, either, but his dad does and so does my mom, it's an easy association, and obviously I'm not blatant about it. He is 3.5 now, and he is a bright kid. When he is old enough to understand, just as Granny mentioned, it's will be addressed as one of those things that is not to be discussed outside of our home. But I also think it's important, as some others have mentioned, not to make a big deal about it, but it is important to be to be honest with him when it is appropriate. The obvious thing to me is that if you don't make it anything worth mentioning, it really shouldn't ever come up. If it does, my son will say, "My mommy smokes cigarettes/tobacco."
    The sad thing is, I personally view tobacco smokers in a much more negative light than responsible MJ smokers. I only quit last July, but I am never going back. It's unfortunate that I have to fib, but it's necessary...only because of legal issues, not because of any moral problems I have with using cannabis.
    Also, I never started smoking until I was in college, and although there is a bit of hypocracy in it, I don't think I will allow my son to use in my home until he is of legal majority. As long as he is a minor, his best interest is my first priority. I appreciate and respect all of the medicinal properties that MJ has to offer, but I'd like him to wait it at least into early adult hood. It also depends a lot on the kid, their maturity and what not.

TL,DR: I'm high, and rambling. I love my son. I smoke herb.[/quote]

So instead of telling em the truth,you teach them that its ok to smoke cigarettes??

2. sk8njam, My guess is that they're already/have been smokers before?
    So like it's something that they've already been exposed to in substitution form so it won't seem like a hugely different thing.

I mean I get your point too - If I was not a smoker and didn't want to endorse it in any way, I'd probably not give things codenames like that.
    That said, I could always argue that if a kid accidentally let slip that their parents smoked GREEN tobacco...or tobacco that smells different...?
    Might be something to think on.

Though yeah I think the safest bet either way is to just not have the stuff lying around and not blatantly indulge in front of the kid/s.
    That way you won't really have to have it bought up when they're before a certain age.
    Personally I don't really agree with being high when you're with kid/s...like if you can't stay straight around them during their waking hours, then you have...well, a different idea on parenting to me.
    Each to their own though, not about to attack anyone and I know there's much worse things...I think my view is slightly coloured after knowing someone who sat around getting stoned in front of their 4 year old all day and even took them on pick-ups...personally I thought he was the scum of the Earth.
    So I do acknowledge that people occasionally being high when with kids (within reason) is ok as long as they're not in a situation that requires your full attention.
    Me, I'll just wait until they're at friends places or go to bed, that's just my thing.

Like for me, even when they're at an age I'm ok with them to indulge at, I'm not about to just start blazing up around them all the time, some semblance of responsibility will be there.

3. @RandomThoughts

I like that idea of not being stoned in front of the kids, and I agree. Just going to add--once they're in bed it really doesn't make a difference then. So wait till their bedtime and blaze away. By the time their old enough to stay up as late as yourself they'll prolly be old enough to know about bud. At least, that's how I grew up (When I was 16 I still had a 10PM curfew).

Personally though, I never even started toking till I moved out, didn't want to break my parents house rules.

4. Things happen in home that don't need discussed publicly. Simple as that. Doesn't mean I'm hotboxing their crib, but not hiding it like the hostage in the basement either. Raise a kid how you see fit, screw any outside opinion. Assuming all parties involved are "all there"

5. I have a teenager and two young ones at home and I handle things according to their age. My teen doesn't smoke but knows his dad and I do. He will go out to my plants and pick dying leave etc and has gone on road trips where we smoked at rest stops while he stretched his legs. We don't hide it from him at all and I think that helps keep his curiosity down. We've told him that if he chooses to smoke to be aware of the possible health consequences on the lungs. Also that if he does smoke he needs to have a job, the ability to supply his own meds, and use healthy ways of using such as vaping or edibles. I'd rather him be educated that ignorant about these things.

With my young ones, it's just an every day part of life. We grow tomatoes, zuccinni,...mommy's medicine. They have seen how sick I get an know what medicine is, and that's what pot is for me. There is no reason for me to label it a drug and stigmatize it. The one thing I don't do is call it by its name in front of them. That way they can't tell their friends at school how mommy smokes pot or that we grow pot. And they won't see TV commercials about the evils marijuana and connect that with my "medicine".

6. Agree whole heartedly with Curiosity stems from lack of knowledge. It's the same "tactic" we use for gun safety

7. Because innocent words from kids that fall upon the wrong ears get people busted and their kids taken away.

Tell them the truth period. Then tell em to keep their mouths shut.

8. Well, if I have kids in the future, I'm going to tell them smoking weed is okay, at a certain age. Don't try any other stupid fucking drugs at all. If you're grades start to slip, I'ma whoop your ass. Don't get caught by the police and do stupid shit. That's about it. And maybe I'll teach them how to roll like a pro (assuming i'll be a pro roller by then).

9. Yeah this is a big one for me too - nothing manufactured.
    I won't endorse them potentially brainfucking themselves or taking a step towards "junkie".

Agreed on the Police thing too, like be discreet enough to be under the radar, and don't bring the law back home.

10. Stick to weed only, that as long as he/she's able to live a normal live and not get into other drugs and do good in school and shit then it'll be fine, basically not to let it control his or her life but that it doesn't matter to me if they do it or not.

11. I would tell them everything about the time they start messing around with alcohol/weed, be chill with them, let them decide what they want to do with everything in life and only offer suggestions from experiences. My dad never told me anything about anything, start smoking, find out he had been smoking the last 20 something years..

12. You...are a good person.:smoke:

13. [quote name='"sk8njam"']

So instead of telling em the truth,you teach them that its ok to smoke cigarettes??[/quote]

He is 3 years old. For one, he knows.that smoking is bad. When he is mature and capable of understanding further, I will address it.

14. But they are children...they don't learn what you say,they learn what they SEE...so mommy and daddy say smoking is bad,but yet they still smoke...so you're showing them that its perfectly fine

15. When my kids about 12 or 13, i'll casually spark one up one night and teach them how to inhale. Once they're baked i'll talk to them and tell them they can make up their own mind, but assuming it's still illegal, i'll also tell them my patented tips and tricks for not getting busted by cops, etc.

This way you effectively remove the whole "forbidden fruit" temptation of Marijuana, and I can be somewhat confident they won't be smoking to rebel. If they smoke it's because those f'ers wanna get high and they enjoy it, in which case more power to them.

I think the temptation to do things we're not supposed to be doing is one of the greatest currently out there. Just look at all the sick fetishes people have everyday, theres no way you can tell me these people even enjoy that ish. They just crave the tabooo

16. I am not perfect. Most parents aren't. If you think it's realistic to be a perfect person and a perfect example 100% of the time, you are lying to yourself. The best I can do is to educate my son in a manner that is appropriate for his maturity level and capacity for understanding.
    Personally, the ONLY reason that I lie to him about it is because of the legality, not because I think that tobacco is ok or I that want to condone it.
    But LIKE I SAID BEFORE...
    I don't smoke in front of my kid. Sometimes he'll come out into the garage and I'll tell him that he has to go back into the house because smoking is bad for his lungs. I treat it the same way when he is around tobacco smokers.

17. How old is you child Mr perfect parent? Nothing about parenting is as black and white as raising your pet fish

18. I'd let them smoke it when there around 16-17. If they ask me about it, i'll tell them everything I honestly know about it as well as my experiences with it. As long as it doesn't affect their daily lives it wouldn't be a problem.

19. The truth!

20. On the contrary, Im 18 now but when i started smoking i was about 14, being raised around the whole "DRUGS ARE BAD" whilist my dad is an alcholic :mad:.

Well before i smoked i saw alot of "medical" tv shows and Nat geo channel shit and got informed. Honestly i think if a child smokes he should be aware of it. I wouldnt touch the subject with my kids personally. If they want to smoke and they are atleast a teenager and have made their decision on it i won't object to it, but also will not allow it inside of my household, until they are about 16-17

:hello: