What went wrong with my cuttings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trent_rockport, Jan 19, 2009.

1. After seven days, a set of six cuttings I tried to grow ended up with the consistency of stewed spinach. Absolutely no root growth. Before I obtain additional cuttings, I want to determine what I need to correct.

My environment:

- a utility room with an ambient temperature of 60-65 degrees
    - an air filter runs 24/7 and the house's air intake is in this room.
    - 3x 11 watt PAR38 red LED lights, 1x 11 watt PAR38 blue. On 18 hours/day.
    - GH Rainforest 66 system, sprayer running 24/7
    - Water temperature constantly monitored between 70 and 72 degrees the entire time, using a 75 watt aquarium heater to maintain water temp.
    - Very hard water - through a three-stage carbon filter still comes out at pH 8.0
    - Reduced pH to 6.2 with Miracle Gro. Cumulatively there's probably around 120-140 g in the 18 gallon tank
    - Base solution per GH specs - 2.5ml each FloraGro, FloraMicro, FloraBloon/gallon
    - Cuttings from healthy plants, 5-6" long each, cut by somebody who knows what he's doing.
    - Cuttings inserted into cups, with bottom protruding about 1/2" below base of cup, constantly submerged.

Where should I start to fix things?

Thanks!

2. myguess is the ferts and nutes are screwing up the cuttings. Fresh cuttings should not be exposed to nutes until they have started some root development. I'm still new to cloning myself but there are many threads on GC which go into detail how to take good cuttings for cloning. good luck!

3. Simplify!!! You are over watering and over ferting... Take ur cutting dip in rooting hormone, insert in rockwool, and set in either small cloning tray(couple inches deep with about an inch of Reverse Osmosis water(stuff u get in the store out of the machine that fills the water containers) add ur aquarium bubbler and maybe a tall clear lid with a couple holes if not like this then put the clones in a tray and mist them with RO water now and again... Don't let ur rockwool cubes get too wet... let them dry and then mist again.. U will have roots in the week.

4. Helpful and worthwhile advise from both of you. Thanks. As an engineer, I tend to take directions literally, which can get me into trouble as in this case. A cloning tray, RO water and rockwool it is, then!