What was your first job out of college?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by LoveisKind, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Basically, what was your first job after graduating? Did you like it? If so, why? If not, why not?

2. Man this topic makes me feel like a loser!

3. Don't feel like that. Was just asking a general question.

4. I worked at a pizza place. Technically, I still work there (which isn't too depressing because I just graduated last year). I got the job there my senior year and worked all through my last year of school. As soon as I graduated I started working consistent full time hours.

This wasn't too much to adjust to because even while in school I worked at least 20-30 hours a week. Honestly, it helped with the post-college transition to have a familiar job in a familiar place. It also helps that the company has good benefits, paid time off, and helps me make enough to pay my rent and bills. Even though I love the people I work with and even enjoy the job itself, it's a little disheartening to be a college grad working food service.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 LoveisKind, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    I am kind of in a pickle since I had a job fair Wednesday and none of the jobs pertain to what I want to do and I have to make a decision if I am going and which jobs I am still going to apply to anyway. So, I am kind of nervous about that. What did you major in? Maybe you can try to apply for something better since I know you didn't go to college just to end up at a place where anyone can get a job at.

6. I was a theatre major. So, this is actually a pretty good day job for the moment. They're flexible with my schedule whenever I can find theatre gigs and wanna work different or less hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. #7 LoveisKind, Oct 28, 2014
    Cool. That does work out for you then. What kind of plays have you done? Seriously, none of the jobs that I am looking at on this list appeal to me... Do I not go to the job fair or apply anyway though none of them sound appealing?

8. I believe a logistics company near LAX. I was a middleman for a corporate giant, Samsung. Shitty job, good pay, but shitty fucking job. 8 am to 10 pm on average, massive bonuses but free time was most valuable when I had that job.

9. #9 LoveisKind, Oct 28, 2014
    This is what I don't want is to have a shitty job. Trying to avoid that at all costs since I want a job I will actually like and not taking it just because and being miserable.

10. I dropped out of school, majoring in conservation biology, to become a firefighter. I don't think that's the type of answer you're looking for, but for what it's worth, I really loved the job. Hell, still do. One day I hope to return to it.

You've been posting a heck of a lot about college and post-college life lately. Try not to worry yourself about it too much, every little thing is going to be alright. :smoke:

11. I was a hydrographic surveyor for the US Army corps of Engineers. Engineer Tech 5.

I made maps of river bottoms and measured dredge work and huge rock piles.

12. Worked in a bank as a financial manager and started a consulting company that I ran and operated myself. In 3 years I had completed 4 huge marketing contracts for notable companies. I got bored of that and now I am back in school trying to become a doctor. 

I've always been lucky when it comes to landing whatever job I want. When I was 18 I was offered a near 90k a year insurance district manager job but I thought I was getting in over my head and wanted to finish school so I turned it down. When I applied for the job at the bank I was offered a position that was 2 promotions above it, that was nice too. I don't know what it is but I seem to do really well in interviews. 

13. I'm still going to school (almost attained my English degree, but had to change my major in order to keep receiving financial aid), but I plan on enrolling in a Paralegal internship program in the Spring. It's $13/hr, 20-30 hrs a week, which beats my current job working ten to twenty hours a week on minimum wage.

So many people graduate and fail to attain a job in their field, but I'm willing to move across country to pursue a career. I just really don't wanna end up with a dead end job and useless degree.

14. Yea, I have been posting a lot about it. I just don't want to be sol after doing so much work and that would devastate me.

15. #15 LoveisKind, Oct 28, 2014
    I feel like this is my main concern... With the fact that nothing guaranteed of course there is some anxiety.

What do you consider being SOL?

You're young, progressive, educated, and more importantly, intelligent. As long as you chase your passions, nothing could possibly be devastating.

17. #17 LoveisKind, Oct 28, 2014
    Well, being stuck at a job I would absolutely hate is something I am trying to avoid at all costs. Or taking a long time to find a job after graduation.

Stuck? What is this "stuck" business? We're all in charge of our own path in life, and there's nothing keeping us from following any route of our choosing. Don't insult yourself by believing that you could get "stuck" in some awful occupation. It ain't gonna happen. Passion fuels forward momentum, and passion is something you seem to have no short supply of.

19. You're right. I have no idea why I am so paranoid... I tend to over think sometimes which totally drains me, but you have made me realize to loosen up and just let things play as they fall in place. Thanks!

My pleasure. I tend to start spouting what sounds like a lot of hippy-dippy rhetoric where this subject is concerned, but I'm just calling it as I see it. It's a lesson I've taken a long time to learn: you can't cross any bridges until you come to them, so you might as well enjoy your walk along the river.

The only thing stopping us from doing anything is ourselves. If you can accept that, it's amazing what becomes possible.