What was weed like in the 70s?

Discussion in 'General' started by kcuhpsahgih, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Was everyone smoking joints and just getting stupid high?  I just abundant amounts of weed everywhere. 

Like "wanna smoke a half-O joint right now?"  "Yeah, I've only eaten five brownies that were made with Colombian hash."  "So that's about $50 worth of weed?"  "Yeah dude, it's not like the East Coast prices in the 21st century."  "Far out.  Let's smoke a bowl of kief to warm up."

2. I've always heard from my folks it wasn't the best weed ever but there was so much of it.

I'm pretty sure it was mostly brick weed.

3. Yes brick lots of stems and seeds and even the damn leaves in a bag but it was a lot cheaper.

4. My dad says you had your good shit and low end shit just like today, columbian was the dank 

5. the weed was probably great they just didnt get high cause they were trippin all the time lol

6. To my knowledge they were getting the occasional dank but mostly brick, a lot of landrace strains and super cheap.
    Thats what ive been told at least

yup. Though I wasn't around then I hate when people assume all the weed was crap. I'm sure there are old timers here that have smoked more dank weed than I ever will be able to. 

8. LOL finally a question I can answer!!!!

In the 70's there was tons of mexican brick weed. You could get an oz and an 8th for $10. We called them 5 finger lids. Full of stems and seeds, but it got us high. Around 1975 columbian was good. And I remember when Sinsemilla was popular too. 1976 introduced maui wowie and that was some of the best around. Then towards the late 70's thai and ganja sticks became popular. Then skunk came out in the 80's and all hell broke loose with the potency of pot. The rest is history.

9.  Jessie Winchester said it best, twigs and seeds ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZ2DrVbQ-A

10. Stuff would put hair on your chest.

11. its funny i had some afghan skunk and it smelled just like that "pot" smell i remember from my dad growing up..im guessing was the 80s skunk

12. brings back goo memories , but you for got my favorite panama red (late 70's-early 80's) and a lot of blond lebanese  ; shit might be stronger now but I do miss the old days

13. Oh yeah panama red and alcupulco gold was rare. Not easy to get in my neighborhood. We had to hunt for that stuff. And it was not all that good back then compared to what we have today. In 77 we had blond lebanese, and afgani hash and honey oil. $10 a gram and $10 for a mill.

Yeah...'cause Panama Red, Maui Wowie, original Haze, Thai Stick and the like were crap...:rolleyes: :poke:

Truly though, most people today wouldn't be impressed by the way it looked, as most of the good stuff was heavily sativa dominant and it was not trimmed as closely or completely as the weed around today is, but there were some killer strains around...one would judge their weed by smoking it, not on how it looked...

Just like today, you could get great weed, and you could get not so good weed...it all depended on who you knew...:)

15. I was in florida then , red & golds(columbian & acapulcan) were both fairly common back then

16. Basically, it was like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtQ5uIOcKY

17. I wanna get my hands on the old school strains so bad haha. I don't even know why, I guess they have cooler sounding names to me. I think Panama Red and Acapulco Gold are much cooler names then things like OG Master Kush and whatnot.

Anyways my mission in life is to get some old school strains and bring them back to life with some modern growing knowledge.

18. You speak so gently.

19. im not a 70's kid but i can guarentee the hippies didnt complain as much as you stoners on here or anywere else do about highgrade vs low grades and all these ppl making weed all holly wood... with like 15 different fucked up names & like 13 different percs on bongs glass on glass & ..all this technical shit... i would think j's went around alot back then, and little weed/wooden pipes hand crafted material but …
    marijuana has advanced so much…
    Theres no goin back!

20. The clothes and cars in that movie were pretty on target. I remember vans with murals painted on the side were extremely popular. They had beds in the back and black lights and shit. The girls are wore "feathered" haircuts. Baggie pants and waffle stompers were cool too. Disco sucked back then, but today I have grown to like it.