What type of mason jar do I use?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Jgutta420, Jan 16, 2023.

1. So when it comes to curing and long term storage which type of mason jar is best? I bought the ball brand with the two piece lids from Walmart but I have recently come to find out they’re not airtight unless they are heat sealed. So do you guys use those or the ones with the hinged lids and gasket? Thanks in advance.

2. I use the 1 qt. wide mouth ball mason jars.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Screenshot_20230116-160619.png
    I use these on my jars,it works nice:)

4. Wide mouth quart for me.

Attached Files:

5. I use the ones with the hinged lid and Gaskets.
    I find them to be easier to use.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 1/2 gallon Ball Mason Jars and yes they seal just fine with the 2 piece lids. I have to pry the lid off and can hear the "Pop" as the air equalizes. Whoever told you they need heat to seal is full of crap. They've confused Vacuum food canning with simple air tight jar storage.
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The two piece lids seal well enough for our purposes. While they're designed to allow pressure to escape, they usually hold a vacuum well enough judging by how they dimple when I use oxygen absorbers. New lids won't give you a problem, old used ones might if they've been used for canning and the sealing material is deteriorated.

8. They are air tight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I prefer these over the standard mason jars. Less hassle to open for burping. less jars to unscrew. I can fit 4+ oz depending on strain density.

71S+1kMbQvL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Those jars are nice but I don't think the extra cost is worth what little hassle is involved in unscrewing regular lids. Buying 12 half gallon Ball jars is a little less than the price of 3 of those 1.5 liter clamp jars and sometimes a guy needs lots of jars. I've also used those 3 quart pickle jars with the one piece screw on lids. If they're washed and aired well enough, they totally lose the pickle smell plus they're free. Or maybe I bought the jars and got the pickles for free. I'm not sure which.

11. Now I'm not a mathematician or marine biologist but isn't it cheaper to buy the bigger ones? I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night...but I did just smoke...

71S+1kMbQvL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg Screenshot 2023-01-17 135331.jpg

And I agree...there are definitely free ways to get these, like your pickles example :)

glass is glass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks everyone!

13. Those prices are crazy. 6 packs of half gallon jars is like $13 at the grocery store/hardware stores.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oh wow. ya I have no idea, clueless i am, I just did a quick google search, screenshot is from walmart. You're right though, big glass jars can be found on the cheap if you search hard enough or repurpose pickle jars :)

15. It's true, the sturdy canning jars are more expensive than the cheaper storage jars and as long as the lids seal that's all we need. Those gallon storage jars with the one piece metal lids don't seal well at all but that large cheap clamp jar looks good. I guess I wasted a lot of money buying three 12 jar cases of half gallon Ball jars but they used to cost much less. With how expensive they are now I'll leave the grandkids the Ball jars in my will.

16. Canning jars are still cheap at the store. Its shipping costs associates with them that is the issue when looking at online prices.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TJ MAXX is a great place to find glass jars with hinged lids. They are CHEAP too!!! Usually $6-$10.

These are Bormioli Rocco Fido jars that are $30+ on Amazon.

61fSs6DRo4L._SY679_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. I use 1 qt glass pasta sauce jars with cork gasket material (any automotive store) in the screw top, 1 gal pickle jars for curing as the 1 qt's are just too small app 5$ with pickles, hope you like them. Any idea how much wt of hung but not cured bud would be in 1 gal? ballpark figure?

19. Where you get 1 gallon pickle jars?