What to plant seeds in

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by YoungToker420, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Hey GC I sprouted 5 seeds and realized I don't have any soil. I was wondering if there are any alternatives such as cocoa, rice anything of that nature. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426563991.478520.jpg

2. #2 GoldGrower, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015

Cocoa? As in chocolate powder? No man wtf? Lol. Rice would rot within days and become extremely toxic. 

What's wrong with just going to your local garden store or garden section of a general store and buying a bag of potting soil / compost ? 

3. Straight perlite will work, but more stability for the roots if you have it mixed with peat moss. You will have to get some money together and buy something. Worst case scenario, grab a couple handfuls of soil from a foresty area somewhere. If possible, mix that with perlite. You do NOT want to put it in rice. That will mold quickly. Nothing for a plant to live in. Maybe a fungas like magic mushrooms, if it was organic brown rice. [​IMG]

4. Next time when you're germinating seeds hang them up so the tap root grows straight. You will find it easier to start. But germinating in the soil is a lot easier 

[​IMG]

5. Yeah I meant like pure cocoa powder because I know you can use the bricks of cocoa.
    Thanks for the tip. Will do next time.

6. Thank you. Yeah I was wondering about the rice because of magic mushrooms lol. I have some perlite from a failed attempt of growing them. I'll just use that.

7. #7 jay719, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    Noone grows in cocoa. You are mistaking Chocolate cocoa for coco coir or fiber medium. Once is a tasting treat made from cocoa beans, the other is a grow medium harvested from Coconuts.

And what gold said, go buy a bag of soil. Even if its too early for garden center to be stocked, home depot or lowes will usually have some small bags of starter soil for just a few bucks. If you have a grow store around a 5kg brick can be found for around $10 and will expand to around 2cf of medium.

I think you are getting cocoa and coco fibre mixed up. Coco bricks are the dried and shredded husks of coconuts. People grow in them but you need specific coco nutrients. You can get coco (coir) from garden and pet suppliers.

Can you imagine how expensive it would be to grow in cocoa? Lol

9. Ohhhh, haha I see now

10. Wow nice method man :) germinate in soil any day though I agree