What to look for in a house?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bullistic, Dec 26, 2010.

1. #1 Bullistic, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
    So my roommate and I were thinking about setting up a fair sized grow. I am first starting off growing in my closet here soon to gain some experience. We will probably try and find a new house that might be more suitable for a grow.

I was wondering what sort of things should I look for when house hunting to set up a grow where I will be able to harvest out ~5 pounds per month? How many plants should I be growing? Wanted to do half hydro and half soil. Do I need to check the electrical to make sure the house can handle it? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. I think you're in over your head, just let me say that before you even crunch more unachievable numbers and plot out how you're going to buy your first lambo. 5 bows a month is by no means an easy feat to obtain. You need to know your shit regarding wiring and how to create the perfect environment for the ladies. You need to have a litany of knowledge and I can ascertain that you do not possess any of that which is necessary. Do not do this in a house you do not own, land lords have the right to come in as it is their property.

So let's just do a really basic number crunch.. in my head well you'll need about $25,000-$30,000 to get something like this started relatively safely.

3. You need to fix those 2 mistakes first

Been there, done that.

Go to ICmag and look up DTFsux, he has a thread on how to buy houses investor style, low money down, no credit qualifying, etc.

Some of your questions are sooooo basic, like how many plants should you grow. You can get 5# from 10 trees or 100 SOG plants. The bigger the plant, the more veg time obviously. It is all preference. Either way, you will need around 5-6KW of flower lighting, another 1000-2000 veg depending on style of grow.

half soil, half hydro? pick one, learn it, love it and dial it in

I look for houses with unfinished basements. When I walk into an unfinished basement the wheels in my head spin 100 MPH. Look for a house no older than 20 or 30 years. Last thing you need is a house with electrical issues. Unless its a shack, any decent sized house should have plenty of service to handle a 6kw grow. If you insist on renting, look for absentee landlords, who live out of state. Have an emergency plan for teardown. LL's must give 24 hours notice. Have a clear cut plan how you will tear down, move and store everything. Call the truck rental place,see what they need for ID, credit card, are you old enough to rent a Uhaul. etc etc

Find a good strain. Sucks having 6#'s of shit weed that nobody wants. Been there, done that

Loose the roommate

Loose the roommate

And NO partners

4. I'm not even a large scale grower, but I figured all this would be common sense. And to the OP definitely loose the roommate, money changes people.

5. Among other things you mentioned, here is your biggest problem. GC doesn't allow posts regarding the sale of weed.

6. Comments considerated.

@gogreencolorado: I didnt realize that, I will edit my first post.

7. It's not just a matter of editing out one line about selling. A goal of 5 elbows a month is an admission to wanting to do a commercial grow, nobody can smoke that much. So the entire premise of your question is not allowed here.

Start small and learn what you're doing, climb a hill before you try to scale Mt. Everest...

8. #8 alonewolf, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
    • The farther away from neighbors the better.
    • Choose a quiet road, like a sideroad where people aren't commuting between major roads.
    • Have a long driveway, with the house preferably out of view of the road.

• 200 amp electrical service, so ya can still use the dryer or a heater with all the lights on. I'd recommend having someone run a dedicated power line from your main breaker to your grow room anyway.
    • Power companies are upgrading their house meters with digital meters that can break down your power consumption by the hour, instead of by the month. This makes it very easy for them to see your 12/12 or 18/6 light schedules, and put two and two together. So if your flying under the radar, consider buying a house with an older meter that hasn't been upgraded yet.
    • It wouldn't hurt to have a water test done, and see what kind of tap or well water you'd be feeding your girls.

9. Ok, thanks for all the input. Perhaps I am thinking a lil too big with 5 lbs, but as far as me looking for a house, I am looking to move anyways for other reasons, so since I am anyways might as well take a look at house for growing opertunities.

10. Measure space kitchens and laundries to ensure appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers and microwave ovens in order. suits failure could cost a couple thousand dollars to replace.

11. I just had to have a power upgrade from 200 to 400 Amps. If you want to go big, you want 400.

If you are looking to move anyhow, I suggest moving to a state where Medical MJ is legal. Buy a house, become a caregiver (extremely easy to do in Montana), and start making medicine for all your customers.

12. ooo sexy! :metal:

13. Lose the buddy like it was said money changes people and don't just grow to make money and live like a rockstar this isn't just a job as people think... u live growing cannabis its a lifestyle not just a hobby that u do on the weekends.. look for a place with an attic if u can't get a basement that way u can vent ur room up into the attic instead of having to port out through the walls. I know a few people that started growing because there fuckin lazy and thought hey ill just grow and make the big bucks and be able to chill. Well they got through the first one and didn't thing it was worth it anymore.. if u don't have a passion for this its not gonna work out for u.. people who grow for the wrong reasons and exploit marijuana for the sole purpose of becoming the next frank lucas tend to get greeady fast and get busted even faster.. ur on the right track as far as wanting to get experience but start small and work ur way up and never set ur expected numbers to high ull just let urself down.. goodluck man

14. Yea, I was terribly high when I came up with the weight I want, you know how them high ideas can be. What I am looking at doing now as Im thinking about it more and more is for one, get through this first grow of 1 plant for experience, then I plan on increasing it as I feel comfortable.

After probably about a year I am hoping to have 2 rooms, 1 for veg, 1 for flower with probably 6 plants in each. I figure that should be good enough for personal use for me and a few of my buddies.

I understand what you guys are saying about losing the friend for it. However, first off, he is more like an adopted brother. Secondly, he will be helping care for the plants which, because of work, I might not be able to give them the full attention they need by myself.

15. What I would find to be the perfect space for a grow in a new house would be a former darkroom -- it would be in an inconspicuous part of the house, be light- and air-sealed, have dedicated ventilation already exhausting outdoors or to the attic, would have a water supply inside, electrical outlets high up, and best case scenario also would have a drain in the floor. But who ever built out professional darkrooms in their house anyway, and especially now that film is dead?

16. grow more than 1...least 3-6...then you'll see more with more plants.....what if your one plant is ust a champ and you go"hey this is easy" and try 6-12 and just fuck up not knowing enough....try a few...not alot, but a few...no 2 plants grow the same.