What to do when power goes out!?!

Discussion in 'Security' started by Camman383, Sep 29, 2012.

1. I need to keep my grow stealthy, as in literally only I know its there. So I am going to buy a big oversized carbon filter for my small cabinet and a fan to match. The one thing I can not figure out is how to I de odorize when the power goes out? Where I live the power doesnt go out very often... but when it does its often out for a couple of hours. I don't care about the light, just the smell. Any Ideas?

I thought of ona bucket in the cabinet on a battery powered fan that activates when the power goes out, but then I read that will mess up the taste of the plant

then I thought of a battery backup, but for a 6" inline fan I think that would be huge

Help!

Thanks for your brainstorming!

2. I'd suggest using it for lights too, to avoid what I imagine would be a lot of stress to the plants but a generator seems the obvious answer. Won't be suspicious if the power is out and if go big enough you can keep the tent and say a fridge running, and still only be a midsized generator, assuming you aren't running a multi kilowatt grow room. Rotten food and hermie plants suck, I can vouch for the latter.

3. I would first off put the plants in the sunlight if you can or move them to a friends house that has power. Or like Jmosley said you could buy a generator but it will require gasoline to run it and if money is an issue, that's outta the question. A big carbon filter is good but if you don't have enough fan power then it won't work properly. If the outage is in the badder months, i suggest you should grow earlier in the year.

4. One point worthy of mention is a 6" inline fan can create a decent amount of sound which can travel through your average wall.

Honestly, if you're only expect outages of a couple hours, just keep your room locked up tight with towels under your doors or do what I did: put foam weatherstripping where the door meets the jamb on the room leading into the grow room.

5. [quote name='"Hazzie"']One point worthy of mention is a 6" inline fan can create a decent amount of sound which can travel through your average wall.

Honestly, if you're only expect outages of a couple hours, just keep your room locked up tight with towels under your doors or do what I did: put foam weatherstripping where the door meets the jamb on the room leading into the grow room.[/quote]

Sleeping bags also work very good if you can put the fan in some kind if box fixture, you could muffle it before it goes out.

6. OP, I was also concerned about this so I made a battery powered fan ona bucket like you were considering. Remember that ona will only affect the smell/taste of the buds if it's placed directly in the tent/closet with the plants. I grow in a closet, so the bucket is in the room that the closet is in. This way, the ona does not mess with the smell/taste of the buds (I also use ona pro, not the scented stuff). I also don't run it continuously, it's only there in case of an emergency power outage, or for extra peace of mind when I go out of town. And, if the power were to go out, and I was having odor control issues, I wouldn't give a sh*t about the ona potentially messing with the smell/taste of the buds! But really, as long as you don't have it right next to your plants, and especially if you're only using it for a short amount of time (a couple hours or maybe a day during a power outage over the course of a whole grow) you don't have anything to worry about. If you're really worried, put it in the hallway outside the grow room. Then you definitely won't have any issues.

There are certainly better options, but I'm on a budget and need something pretty much fail safe (read: low tech). The battery powered ona bucket fits the bill, and I have not had any adverse affects on the smell/taste of my buds. hth

7. Thanks everyone! Unfortunetaly for me a generator is not really an option as there is no were to put it. InTheGarden hit my situation pretty much on the head. Your right about it only being every once in a while so an ona bucket on the outside is the way to go for me, thanks alot! Does the ona pro smell like anything?