Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What to do about post-quitting "withdrawal"?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by xhazardous, May 13, 2012.

1. I've been smoking for about two years now, and pretty much every day for the last year. I tried to quit a couple times simply to be clean for future employment, but ended up going back (with support from friends/family) for sleep aid, depression/anxiety, and recreational use. This time, I quit about 5 days ago cold-turkey with no intention of starting again (anytime soon) despite these problems and withdrawal issues, and have instructed loved ones to strictly discourage my usage (I REALLY need a job).

Since quitting, I have experienced severe lack of appetite as the hardest thing to deal with. I can go an entire day without feeling hungry at all. I usually eat two meals a day anyways, but now it's even less. I am concerned about my health and how this will affect my energy levels and moods. The past two or three days I have had some dry heaves. And since quitting, I have had much more energy; I've been waking up at 6am and going to bed around midnight the past five nights.

I assume there are plenty of you who have tried or had to quit before, so what did you do to overcome this major problem? Is there something to take to increase appetite, or should I just eat what has been appetizing recently, which happens to be salad? PLEASE help!! :confused:

2. we've all gone through this. it will pass in time. just try your best to force yourself to eat enough. your regular appetite will return eventually once your body gets used to not always having thc in it again

3. It will pass in a week! Just hang in there are try to exercise!

The Time Course and Significance of Cannabis Withdrawal. (abst – 2003) The Time Course and Significance of Cannabis Withdrawal. - Medical Journals - Healia

Strategies for quitting among non-treatment-seeking marijuana smokers. (abst – 2005)
    Strategies for quitting among non-treatm... [Am J Addict. 2005 Jan-Feb] - PubMed - NCBI

Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults (full – 2011) Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults

Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop (news – 2011)
    Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop

Granny

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_z2-U8e0Kc]Suck it up buttercup! - YouTube[/ame]

5. Dude... just go with it. It takes less than a week for these little symptoms to go away, I can't even call them withdrawals. They're only psychological man.

6. by definition addiction is something you have withdraws from and weed my friend does not give you withdraws so it is not the weed that is causing that is is the mental feeling of becoming addicted to the lifestyle that weed brought you......moral of the story stop being a pussy and go outside and do something to take you mind off of it.

7. Cannabis does not give withdraws how ever as far as appetite I experienced the same thing. I soon realized that I always ate dinner after a toke and due to my work I eat crap and very little on the go. So you can say the majority of my meals were high. After stopping I was never hungry but mind over matter I would force my self to eat. After a week my appetite was normal. It's always good to take a vacation from cannabis now and then( personal feelings)

8. I've been having a hard time with the same thing, for the same reasons too.

All my best friends quit smoking now, I'm the last one :(

We all have different reasons, two are in trouble with the law and are attempting to lessen the upcoming consequences. Me and another are both doing it for future employment, like you. I NEEED a job as well haha.
    I feel guilty as fuck whenever I'm smoking because I know they want to as well, its also turned MY smoking habits into a very lonely thing, that alone is probably my biggest motivation to stop.
    But obviously not big enough, after this Ima ride the long board and pick up a gram.
    HOPEFULLY... the last one for a while, I've said that a few times though.
    BUT... whenever someone offers me some during a sesh I say no, that has been a little baby step for me?

I was a late bloomer and didnt start smoking till late in high school, I kinda feel like I missed out it for so long. But I know thats just me trying to justify it.

Good luck to you man! I know one of my friends is having a rough time as well, your post made me think of him. Probably why I felt the need to share

9. It's just bizarre, feeling like I don't have a stomach for the past week. Thanks. :)

10. Thank you for all those links! It's nice to be able to connect symptoms with facts, so many people claim to be experts on things they have no basis for. The info has helped a lot!

11. I know they aren't really withdrawals, hence the quotations in the title. It's just weird not being able to feel my stomach at all, can't feel anything if I'm hungry or full. As soon as I quit though, I quickly realized how miniscule smoking was as part of my daily routine and how easy it is to curb the desire for it. My boyfriend, and my mom & her boyfriend all smoke too so I'm still around it and it's kinda lame not being able to toke with them, but it's nice having energy to fuel real conversations where I don't space out, haha. Thanks for the reply.

12. Yes, I know marijuana is not physically addictive, hence the quotations around withdrawal in the thread title. I overcame the comfort of my smoking routine a lot more quickly than I expected, so it wasn't really a lifestyle. In the past I tried quitting during a very stressful time in my life and just couldn't do it, but the stress was the hard thing to deal with and I never had problems eating, which is why I was fairly concerned this time around. So it's not a problem keeping my mind off it at all, just what my bodily functions are telling me and not telling me, which are out of my mental control.

13. My biggest problem is appetite too. I am a heavy toker and that's the only thing I experience. I went to visit some family during Thanksgiving, and I didn't bring any with me... well... they end up thinking I have an eating disorder cause I couldn't put down any food. Go figure....

14. If you can't recover from marijuana, your hopeless. Go fishing, do some meditation, play soccer, go for a walk, do something. It's all in your head.

15. Man up! Those withdrawals are not to be taken serious. Everybody is able to quit weed.

16. [quote name='"Schildpad420"']Man up! Those withdrawals are not to be taken serious. Everybody is able to quit weed.[/quote]

Thank you, jesus.

17. ignore everyone who says you should just get over it. i was in a college setting where i ate pretty much every meal high for the entirety of the year. i came home and had to change my lifestyle, so i on occasion go a day or two without smoking. on those days i can just barely force down my food, then the next time i blaze i eat everything in sight. its definitely real but listen to granny, should get past it within a week or so

18. It's all in your head, dude. Every single thing can be overcome with willpower, and I apologize you have so little willpower - but don't try to demonize weed.

You could still eat, you just didn't eat as much because you didn't feel like it. I guarantee you could have eaten just as much, but there was less of the chemical which makes you hungry in your brain - and as such, you ate a normal amount.

19. ok so you just repeated back exactly what i said i felt? i did not want to eat and wasnt hungry? yea obviously i could still eat i just didnt have a strong hunger and therefore wasnt eating as much