What the hell are these? Pics included....

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mr4tune, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Hey all, experiencing weird spots on one of 6 six plants, hoping someone can help me identify wtf these are. It started roughly 2 weeks ago on only a few of the lower fan leaves. Now it seems to affect the lower to mid section of the plant. All the new growth is looking unaffected but it definately seems to be affecting more leaves then at first. Assuming its not an insect as its affected no other plants. Soon after the dark spots consume to leaves they turn yellow and die. Input?

Strain: Big Bang
    1000 HPS
    45 days old from seed, 7 days into flower
    75 temp
    30% HUM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sorry, medium is soilless.

3. Looks like K deficiency.

4. lt is certainly a deficiency, bugs damage doesnt look like that.

5. What's your ph?

6. definatly check the ph first if thats ok then move on to addressing the deficiency, but the ph being off will block essential nutes so that needs to be first on the list.

7. Thanks for the feedback, pH is sitting @ 6.5 as of this morning when i checked. So far Im thinking that AbeFroman was right about the K deficiency. Currently on technaflora Recipe for success. Watering every 3 days, with full strength nutes every 3rd feeding. Ever since i moved to the 5 gal's I've had to add an extra day between waterings. This is by far the strongest and biggest plant of the bunch so things are definately pointing to the K being the problem... I guess Ill try giving this one a dose of only the Techanflora Awesome Blossoms which has a 2% - 11% - 11% rather then the full spectrum mix. Sound ok?
    :confused:

8. i think that its manganese or potassium deficiency

Attached Files:

9. I dunno. I'm in hydro and I think ph should be around 5.5-5.8 for that. You said soilless, but does that mean coco? Or hydro? I'd probably get that PH down. You can put all the nutes you want in the water, but the plant wont take em up if the PH is too high or low.

10. Wow thanks for those pics. Looking at that it does look like Mag def from those pictures. Wish I would have seen that positing before I gave the dose of K. Well ill wait it out a little bit and see what happens now. The problem is definately accelerating though. If the K doesnt do anything Ill give her some additional Mag. I noticed the probblem really took off when I started flowering about 9 days ago. Like I posted previous this is by far the strongest strain out of the bunch and once she hit flower this girl took off way beyond the others. She'd make a great mom... ;)

11. Sorry, the soilless is a Peat/Verm/Perl/dolomite mix. I was told ideal was 6.5 for this setup no?

12. Yeah, I think PH runs a bit higher in that medium. I'm not an expert though.

13. I noticed for as fast as this plant has grown, this one and the other 5 big ones have been very slow to show even the first pistels (spelling? lol). Stem and foliage growth is great tho. I have 2 bagseed and 1 big bang that i had planted but took quite some time to repot. Basically ignored them compared to the high qual fem seeds that were planted. Those 3 however are under 8x 23w 56k cfls and are showing many pistels compared to a few on each of the other big plants. Kinda thought it would be the other way around...

btw im painting the cfl cab white right now lol...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. #14 AbeFroman, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
    The pics I see are of Mn,K, and Zn NOT Mg (unless I'm not seeing something). The yellowing of the lower leaves from the outside in with with necroses and red stems points to a K deficiency for me. Even if you gave it a dose of K, if the PH is locking out K it won't make a difference. I'm not familiar with the way you are growing but I would ensure the PH is at a level where K can be properly absorbed.

15. Im fairly confident that im not locked out, the pH is reading between 6.3 and 6.5 on my milwauke meter. Unless its messed. i feed today, and im wondering if i should water, water, feed every 2 days rather than every 3.

16. is that a fan or an ozone generator in the picture?

17. im going to say that with a soilless mix like you have there that the ph is probably a bit too high. i would shoot for mid 5's no higher then 6.0 if you can. soilless mixes usually are treated like hydro in terms of Ph

18. its not mag def its mn def

19. i was thinking the same thing