What the fuck is wrong with people?

Discussion in 'General' started by xericx, Jun 22, 2006.

1. How can people be so stupid as to let their kids browse the internet for hours with no supervision. Then sue when their kid fucks up. It's not myspaces fault that teenagers today are dumbfucks. Sorry, parents who cant take responsibility for stupid things they do, and then sue to make them look like they're the victim really piss me off. I would like to smack both of them.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/20myspace.html

A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site Monday for $30 million, claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.
    The lawsuit claims that the Web site does not require users to verify their age and calls the security measures aimed at preventing strangers from contacting users younger than 16 "utterly ineffective."
    \t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t

\t\t \t\t\t\t
    "MySpace is more concerned about making money than protecting children online," said Adam Loewy, who is representing the girl and her mother in the lawsuit against MySpace, parent company News Corp. and Pete Solis, the 19-year-old accused of sexually assaulting the girl.
    Hemanshu Nigam, the chief security officer for MySpace.com, said in a written statement: "We take aggressive measures to protect our members. We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart web practices and have open family dialogue about how to apply offline lessons in the online world."
    Founded in 2003, MySpace has more than 80 million registered users worldwide and is the world's third most-viewed Web site, according to the lawsuit.
    Loewy said the lawsuit is the first of its kind in the nation against MySpace.
    Solis contacted the girl through her MySpace Web site in April, telling her that he was a high school senior who played on the football team, according to the lawsuit.
    In May, after a series of e-mails and phone calls, he picked her up at school, took her out to eat and to a movie, then drove her to an apartment complex parking lot in South Austin, where he sexually assaulted her, police said. He was arrested May 19.
    The lawsuit includes news reports of other assault cases in which girls were contacted through MySpace. They include a 22-year-old Wisconsin man charged with six counts of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl and a 27-year-old Connecticut man accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.
    MySpace says on a "Tips for Parents" page that users must be 14 or older. The Web site does nothing to verify the age of the user, such as requiring a driver's license or credit card number, Loewy said.
    To create an account, a MySpace user must list a name, an e-mail address, sex, country and date of birth.
    "None of this has to be true," the lawsuit said.
    Attorneys general from five states, including Texas, have asked MySpace.com to provide more security, the lawsuit said. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott sent a letter to the MySpace.com chief executive officer May 22, asking him to require users to verify their age and identity with a credit card or verified e-mail account.
    Lauren Gelman, associate director of the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School, said she does not think MySpace is legally responsible for what happens away from its site.
    "If you interact on MySpace, you are safe, but if a 13-year-old or 14-year-old goes out in person and meets someone she doesn't know, that is always an unsafe endeavor," Gelman said. "We need to teach our kids to be wary of strangers."
    Loewy said he was confident about the lawsuit, which he said seeks damages worth 1 percent of the company's estimated worth.
    "We feel that 1 percent of that is the bare minimum that they should compensate the girl for their failure to protect her online when they knew sexual predators were on that site," he said.

:hello:eric:hello:

2. Bad Parenting.

It's easier for parents to write off responsibility to those they will never see.

I always thought everyone was responsible for their own actions. . . .well, at least

that's how i was raised and how I will raise my son.

3. 1. has 'tila tequila' as their friend
    2. the music they like include: my chemical romance, the used, green day, killers, or kottonmouth kings
    3. they all hate drama and fake people
    4. have a music video playing on their page
    5. your computer is more likely to freeze when log on people's pages if you have an older model due to the over-decoration.
    6. we will see this "This profile was edited with Thomas' myspace editor" somewhere in their profile

Myspace is made by dumb people not the other way around.

4. that is so dumb..our school has some flyers and shit and letters that go home about myspace and how every1 shuld delete them.. its the girls own dam fault chuz it clearly states no1 under 16.. and i kno for a FACT that tom(mr.myspace) and ppl who work for him..constantly search for underage users or ppl who they tell look young..and ban the shit outta em..

myspace is great and its just fun to chill and use... www.myspace.com/tjf158
    thats me..jus throwin it in for shits and giggles

5. straight up, man.

6. Yea people will sue for anything these days. Its getting ridiculous.

7. This story is a few days old.

8. Reminds me of the time whe that one lady sued Lincoln Logs because they didn't come wih a warning that if he swallowed the large one sideways.. He'd have a bad day.. So now she's suing lincoln logs for 8.5 million dollars, because NOTHING replaces the loss of a loved one like 8.5 million dollars! "It's just the principal of the thing!"

Natural Selecion no longer exists.

THE KID WHO SWALLOWS TOO MANY MARBLES DOESN'T GROW UP TO HAVE KIDS OF HIS OWN.

9. I saw this picture and I had to post it.
    [​IMG]

10. You sir, get rep +

11. wtf, I don't see were YOU are coming from.......

Your saying it's alright for myspace to house sexual predators? I means kids go on there to socialize, not for seeking sexual relations with creepy 40 year old men.

MySpace has the power to do something such as monitoring the site, or make it 18+. I agree they shouldn't be sueing for that amount of money but something needs to be done. It should be 18+ anyways, I mean young kids go to school-they do not need something such as a web community to socialize when they can go to school and talk to hundreds of people there.

O yea and I forgot to say anyways that MySpace is gay anyways

12. How can any website stop creepy 40 year old men from visiting them? How can any website be sure that the person joining is really how old they say they are?

13. It's their own fault for meeting the 40 year old in the first place, who the hell needs internet friends anyways?
    It's not myspaces fault, its the mornic teeny bobbers that use it.

:hello:eric:hello:

14. if a girl gives her adress up to anyone she doesnt know or meets up with them she is officialy a complete dumbass. i say myspace is perfectly safe if your not a complete dumbass, and complete dumbasses who give up adress's or meet up with strangers deserve to get raped

15. I saw this on TV the other day....shoulda seen the actual people. They were the most podunk, redneck, mofos I've ever seen. Anyways, yea it's completely retarded

16. my 12 year old cousin has a myspace and so do her little 11 year old friends. i guess ill have to start a myspace just to harrass her and make her delete it. lol ill pretend to be a stalker or something.

17. Fixed ;) I'm not a muppet and I like KMK. :smoking::smoking:

18. myspace is so lame, what can you do on there? just look at pics of people and leave comments? I had a myspace then I deleted it because it just was getting lamer by they day.

19. facebook > myspace. I only use facebook because they post the parties every weekend

20. since when did inanimate objects obtain the ability to choose a sexual preference?

shit, i'm out of the loop.

ps- if people don't "need" a web community to socialize... why are you posting here?