What the fuck is wrong with my dog?

Discussion in 'General' started by wickedjoker, Mar 7, 2013.

1. #1 wickedjoker, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
    My girlfriend's dog is a female 2 year old 1/8th pit 7/8th black labrador. She lives with me so I have to take care of her a lot of the time. She listens really well, when she wants to. But she has this problem where every time she's home alone she'll devour all of my cat's food and then find something on the kitchen counter to tear open and eat.

I have literally whooped her ass up and down this house multiple times for this same thing, and we even started locking her up in a utility room where there's nothing for her to eat when we leave. But being that she's as old as she is, and the amount of times I've scared the literal piss out of her, I thought she would have learned so I started letting her have the run of the house again a few weeks back.

But she had to throw that away, starting a couple days ago she started chewing up random shit again and I just came home to find the cat bowl licked clean, a box of donuts eaten, and half of an empty ice cream container shredded and spread about the living room.

I do not know how else to get the point that she can't eat w/e the fuck she wants into her thick fucking skull. I mean, I grab her by the fuckin face, look into her godamn eyes and tell her "NO" 100 times while holding the garbage of w/e she ate in front of her, and she still does not get it.

Do any of you have any advice or suggestions? I'm seriously going to fuck this dog up if she eats another bowl of my cat's expensive ass food.

TL;DR: My dog wont stop eating random shit like my cat's food, how do I make her stop?

2. Get a metal crate cage. Put her/him in it when you leave.

I have listened to owners (in the Vet's waiting room), many put locks on the fridge and all kinds of stuff. Just crate it, when not home.

You both need to take the dog for walks. go to a dog park and play.

I am a firm believer that, if a dog has it own toys from day one and things for chewing, they will chew their own stuff, before yours.

My little dog loves toys and chews on her own things, since 6 wks old.

Think about getting a home with a dog safe yard?

3. have you been smoking weed next your dog?

4. I don't have the income to just move into a new house with a dog safe yard haha. Nor do I have the money for a legit dog crate. If I wanna lock her up when I'm gone that's what the utility room is for, nothing for her to fuck with really in there. You're right about the walking though, we don't walk her nearly enough.

Nope, she doesn't like smoke so she's never very close whenever we toke.

I can't just put the cat food away, my cat has to be able to eat while I'm gone. I'm not gonna punish him because the dog is an unruly bitch ya know?

Thanks for the link though, I'll check that out. She probably needs more toys and more walks honestly. It's just annoying cuz my girlfriend really doesn't do shit besides buy her dog food and occasionally some toys.

5. talk to it like its a fucking person, have you got no respect for our k9 friends?? just calmly explain to it that its a bit rude to eat all that food and maybe try reasoning with it (make sure you shake on it or it might go back on its word)

6. Honestly I don't know many people who can leave their cat food out and expect the dog not to eat it. Most people I know with both a dog and a cat will either feed their cat at the same time as the dog or in a separate room that the dog can't get to. The cat will be fine going without food while you're at work and being fed when you get home. :confused_2:

If you really don't want to do that... I guess you could try to put it in a place that the cat can get to but the dog can't? Somewhere high up, or else if you're handy you could make a wooden cat box kinda deal that the cat can go in to eat but the dog can't get into.

Punishing dogs after the fact is not at all effective though. If you come home and find she's done these things and then punish her for it, she has no idea what she's being punished for. Even if you're pointing or rubbing her face in it or what not.

Here's some good info on punishment vs behavior correction... Punishment vs. Correction in Dogs

7. #8 wickedjoker, Mar 7, 2013
    I guess that makes sense. You're probably right, I'll just have to find a way to keep the dog away from the cat food. But as for punishing her... When I come home and she's done something bad, she knows. She won't come to me when I call her, even before I notice whatever she did. Tonight when I came home she wouldn't even come into the living room where the garbage was and I hadn't even noticed yet so I was all friendly n shit. I mean you can't tell me she had no idea what I was yelling at her for, dogs aren't that stupid.

8. I'm sure she knew you were yelling at her for something, but I doubt she knew exactly what for unless it was immediately after it happened.

I'm not saying dogs are stupid, but they don't really have the awareness to think "oh he's angry.. it must be because I ate the cat food a few hours ago". :p

More likely, she thinks you're angry about whatever she's doing at the current moment.

That's why you've gotta catch dogs in the act to correct their behavior. And why the stereotypical "rub your dogs nose in it's own piss" method is widely accepted as not at all effective.

9. 1.) Your dog tokes when you leave and just has the munchies, leave her alone man.

2.) Animal abuse is fucked up, shes gonna bite the shit out of you one of these days and you cant even get mad.

10. yes, youre dog will eat the cat food...everytime.....so put the cat food somewhere the dog cant get. like the top ofthe fridge. also the dog will ALWAYS eat food thats left out so put that shit away you fiend

11. Hitting your pets is negative reinforcement, and only makes them harder to manage.

You need to understand canine behavior, dogs aren't people, and do not understand things like we do.

Positive reinforcement works far better. You need to teach the dog that good behavior results in rewards (not just treats).

Getting mad at an animal with the mental capacity of a 3 year-old is just sad.

12. #13 wickedjoker, Mar 7, 2013
    Both of your accusations are false.

That's awful naive to just assume that I don't employ positive reinforcement as well as negative. If you can't lend advice without being judgemental then I'd rather you just didn't post in my thread.

13. You talk about "whooping her ass up and down the house" and how you're gonna "beat the shit out of her" if she does it one more time. I didn't accuse you of animal abuse, you admitted to it.

14. You gotta catch em in the act, its not gonna understand that it did something wrong, i hate when people do that, its called seperation anxiety

15. #16 wickedjoker, Mar 7, 2013
    It's called exaggeration. There's a huge difference between animal abuse and punishment.

I smacked her on the hind quarters a couple times, I didn't break her leg, hit her with a closed hand, or tie her up in the yard with no food for days on end. You have no idea what animal abuse is lol.

16. My dogs chew on my shit when theyre bored or not exercised enough. I have siberian huskies though. Take her for a walk or run or something a few times a week and see what that does. I got an old ass tredmill from a guy at work for free and trained them to run on it. They love it, one will run for up to 30 minutes on it. Or get her a big raw hide bone and teach her to chew her stuff and not yours. Beating the dog after the deed is done probably is just making her scared of u. U have to catch her in the act. (Not doggin u about ass whoopins, i smack my dogs ass' when theyre bad) also i think dragging the dog to the mess and rubbing her nose in it while yelling helps to. [Torn up trash means, yelling and pissed off daddy...i better not do that] a dogs main goal in life is to make their owner happy, u just gotta teach her what makes u happy. Remember they dont understand why u r mad...they are dogs!

17. So then I should just act like nothing happened when she does something wrong and I don't catch her in the act of doing it? That doesn't make sense to me, if I do nothing about it she's going to think it's ok to keep doing it.

A lot of you have given me great advice but at the same time I think all of you are slightly underestimating dogs' ability to comprehend their actions.

18. Reading this just fucked up my high.

I strongly suggest you try to find a good home for your dog. After all, we're not all dog people.

19. Well good I'm glad I fucked up your high. I'm not gonna get rid of my girlfriend's dog just because some tool on the internet 'strongly suggests' it.

Do you people seriously believe that animals don't teach their young through displays of force? That is absolutely pathetic. I would assume that it's obvious I would never HURT my dog. But yes I will smack her ass and yell at her when she fucks up.

If any of you think that's 'animal abuse' then you need to pull your head out of that fairytale land inside your ass.

If you have some creative advice for me as to how to properly punish and train my dog, like a few other blades have, feel free to contribute. But if you're only here to be an ass and talk about how much I suck at training my dog, then please,

Get the fuck out of my thread.