What the fuck is up with minimum wage?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by hurpdaflerp, Apr 17, 2013.

1. who the fuck can live on 8 dollars an hour? if i had a 9/hr job and worked 40 hrs a week i would make less than 1500 a month. what the fuck? people on social security and welfare make that without doing shit. and the only way to get a higher paying job is to take out ridiculous student loans and go to college? and even with a degree you will still probably end up working at mcdonalds. its set up so the average person has to join the military or go to college. Fuck the system.

2. fuck the system yo

3. There's plenty of jobs that pay good with no degree. And minimum wage jobs are mostly just for kids in high school.

4. go ahead and name them. then ill go pick a job that grows on jobbies and plant more jobs for other people later. its some stupid shit that pisses me off

5. I won't comment on the over-abused welfare system, but those collecting social security did a hell of a lot more than "shit" to earn it.

They usually worked for the last 40 or 50 years to earn it.

And their minimum wage started out at 50 cents an hour.

And it was just as stupid an argument back then as it is now to try and claim that anyone can live on minimum wage. It's not meant to sustain anyone, it's meant to be a stepping stone.

The real problem is greed and corruption have removed a lot of stones from the path to success today.

6. You mean you can't live the luxury life you want to on minimum wage. Eat beans and rice, they're damn cheap. Stop using drugs, save you a lot of money. Ride a bike to work (find a job close to you if you have to). Cancel your internet and cable tv. Work for a higher salary, don't expect it to be given to you.

7. #7 hurpdaflerp, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    some of the people who have it actually do need it. i understand that. but i know a whole shit load of people who get it so they dont have to work. and it is in no way a stepping stone. more like an isolated plateau that will keep you stuck there. unless you want to do some shit like take out loans or credit cards. then you just work to pay off loans that will take years and years to pay off. so its pretty much borrow money or fuck you.

MINIMUM WAGE, A STEPPIN STONE TO ROYALY FUCK YOU INTO BORROWING MONEY TO GET A DEGREE THAT ISNT GOING TO MEAN SHIT

8. Lol @ the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage. Minimum wage is supposed to be supplemental income to a living wage and/or an entry way for low skilled workers into the workforce. Making minimum wage a liveable wage would immediately remove all incentive to shoot for anything higher than counter person at McDonalds for most people.

9. exactly, join the military, go to college, or fuck off minumum wage slave

10. #10 hurpdaflerp, Apr 17, 2013
    no, i mean your fucked and trapped forever if you work minimum wage. and the only escape is to borrow money. then spend years and years paying that shit off. and its not as easy as "find a job thats close." i wish it was that simple. and i cant even remember the last time i spent money on drugs i dont have fucking internet or cable or a tv. i go to mcdonalds or somewhere with a wifi connection i can get on.

11. I know a few people that survive on minimum wage jobs.
    2 or 3 of em at the same time...

Quit ur bitching and take what you can get.

12. fuck the polease

13. Do you plan on working lazily your whole life? It's not that hard to get a manager position at any retail place...make $15+ an hr if not more over time. Even if you are lazy (not saying you are) you still get raises at the end of the year...and most places don't even start people at minimum wage if you're over 18

14. There are plenty of people that haven't went to college or joined the military that get paid way more than minimum wage.

15. really? im the only fucking person who is pissed off at the minimum wage? i guess you all enjoy the ass raping employers dish out to all the pathetic poor people who bitch about having to work multiple jobs scavenging crumbs that fall out of their mouth. does he give you a pillow to rest your knees on?

16. So in otherwords you don't want to earn that higher paying job through higher education or apprenticeship programs? You just want it handed to you? Because? Your special?:rolleyes:

I'm retired & get Soc Sec. because I paid into the fund for some 45 years. Started in the mid 60's with minimum wage jobs, worked my way up & the last 25 years ran my own business.

A few older folks gave me advice, so in turn I'm going to give you some.

Quit being a crybaby & go make your bones, like those that came before you did.

17. You're right, it requires effort to get a job above minimum wage.

That means putting yourself out there, networking, applying to a hell of a lot more jobs than you want to, applying to jobs you don't even want, making yourself look nice, have a goos interview, show that you're something. Then work hard, bust ass and kiss some ass.

You don't move up in the world by doing the bare minimum. If you have that mentality, you'll be stuck on minimum wage the rest of your life.

There are plenty of jobs out there, you just have to look.

By the way, I'm not attacking you personally, just using the general form of you.

18. 15 an hr is still fucking bull shit but better than 8 dollars a fucking hour. not to mention most places only let you work part time so they dont have to give you benefits. ive worked at places for 3 years and didnt get a raise. and where the fuck are you people getting jobs since its so simple?

19. #19 hurpdaflerp, Apr 17, 2013
    no, i actually do and am going to go to college. i dont like the fact that im gonna have to pay off thousands of dollars for years to make a little bit more money. and i know tons of people my age who went to college and they still dont have jobs or fucking bull shit jobs that i could have gotten without a degree.

and im not fucking putting my eggs into the 25 years basket because im not sure im even gonna make it that far.

and no, i think everyone should have the right to payment that you can live on since everyone has to work.

and your right, why ponder on how things could be better. i think im gonna also travel for fucking miles to get water, like my ancestors did before me.

20. Don't major in medieval literature. Get a useful degree that has a positive job outlook for the next couple decades.