What the fuck is up with "bad" language?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ReasonOrTreason, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I'm interested to know how people feel about "bad" language.

I personally dont see what the big fucking deal is? The words don't actually get their meaning until the reciever interprets and attaches a connotation and idea to the term being used. The whole idea behind one word being "bad" but another word being better to use doesn't sit right with me, because in all honesty I lean more towards the viewpoint that everything is subjective including right and wrong.

To make the claim that "fuck" is a bad word, you have to dupe yourself into believing that its synonyms are actually a correct and proper way to say the word when in fact the word fuck takes on multiple roles.

I guess im really just sick and tired of people telling me im talking inappropriately because I choose unorthodox words as an expression of myself. It's not that I need to use these words, but they convey a level of exaggeration that can't otherwise be achieved.

I just wish someone could explain why words like "shit" are bad, but to say the word "poop" is considered ok. Or that to use the word "fuck" is bad, but words like "Intercourse" are deemed correct when they mean the same thing. The whole thing seems hypocritical, based in tradition, and all around based on a lack of self-esteem with which your ego can actually be hurt by words.

TL;DR - Words derive their meaning from subjective experience, and the determining factor in whether or not a word is bad or not is based around a persons history and tradition that was forced upon them as a child. Telling someone to fuck off is no worse then saying go away, and calling someone a bitch is only actually offensive if the person is really a bitch. Its simple.

/NERDRANT

2. You're the one interpreting it as bad? :confused_2:

3. Those words are no worse then any other word you could've used, see above edit good sir.

4. #4 ReasonOrTreason, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011

:laughing:

To demonstrate further, the idea of a "bad" word is a human bias. If I don't interpret it as bad, then regardless of your feelings, it means nothing of the negative sort.

Call a dog a ****** and see if he gets offended over 400 years of oppression.

Call a squirrel a cuntlicking bitchface crackwhore and see if it even turns its head.

of course they wont, because they dont share the same bias towards words.

If we collectively agreed the words weren't bad, then where would all that negative connotation go?

5. IT does matter, because even if they invented a vulgar word, it would be based off of the individual interpreting it to define it as vulgar.

The person who interprets the word applies the meaning, regardless of what the other individual feels.

6. The person interpreting the word KNOWS what the word means and what the person is communicating to them.

7. No, you don't. Im sure you know a LOT about trolling, as demonstrated from your above posts, so let me break it down like this.

If I call you a bitch, does it actually mean that you are a bitch? Of course not, because I don't even know what your criteria is for a person being a bitch.

If I call you a filthy dirty negroid, does it actually mean that being a filthy dirty negroid is bad? Of course not, and if you are, is it my fault that you interpret it as being negative?

8. Its about what YOU are conveying to the person.

I aint a bitch but I do know that your intent is to insult me. Dude, how can you not understand something so simple.

9. #9 ReasonOrTreason, Jun 14, 2011

How can YOU, tell ME, what MY intent is?

also; what makes the word bitch necessarily anymore worse then calling you 1 of the thousand of other collectively agreed derogatory words with negative attachments?

10. That edit and the op is exactly the same thing, and they would be interpreted in the exact same way. Both would be unacceptable etiquette.

People don't like cuss words because they are words that mean dirty things, that people use as fillers for the exact sake of being dirty; they have also grown to be used in negative ways. These things that the words represent became negative because of various reasons: disease, waste.

I don't pay much mind to them. If someone can get their thought out by using "dirty" words, more power to them. Sometimes dirty words are appropriate to the thought. I can almost guarantee that if cuss words are the primary focus in a sentence though, it's not a very deep sentence. My motherfucking self could piss all over a goddamned sentence with my vagina-wettening words, but it just gets in the shit-fucking way, understand?

11. The person on the receiving end is ultimately the one who assigns the meaning though, how you dont understand that is beyond me.

Even though you have an intended context, it doesn't matter because the other person is NOT you. They do not have to interpret it the way you do.

12. but they do interpret it that way because they arent fucking stupid. they know very well what the person is trying to convey.

why the fuck am i wasting my time.

13. #13 Sovereign Psyche, Jun 14, 2011
    Words are supposed to have meaning. If you want to abolish words, I guess we will have to get rid of the positive ones too. The inherent meaning to the words you use are bad because they have a specific meaning that is stemmed from anger and hate. The specific meaning could be a literal translation which is that the squirrel with a dog-like complexion sells sex, particularly licking vagina, for crack-cocaine, which is not only an obvious insult for several reasons but is also a hyperbole specifically designed to create anger.

14. It ultimately depends on who you are asking though, and thats the point im trying to make. The ideas are collectively agreed upon. I could just as easily edited those words out for compliments, and the meaning would be completely different. The only thing that changed was my interpretation of the words.

While I understand that, it's still based around the individuals subjectively attaching the connotation to the word. Like I said earlier, the word "Shit" is deemed dirty and a cuss word, but it means the exact same thing as feces, the only difference is the subjectively attached interpretation. Same with fuck. I can tell someone to fuck off, but the only reason that it's worse then the phrase "go away," is because it's collectively agreed to be a negative "dirty" word.

I do agree completely here, and my favorite example of bad language being used to convey deeper meanings is from my favorite comedian George Carlin. He explains it perfectly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrD6k8PDr1o]YouTube - ‪George Carlin - Seven Dirty Words‬‏[/ame]

15. I die a little inside when I hear a curse word.

16. South Park must be killing you then :p

17. All I know is Kushlord is a troll, he constantly attacks people for a reason that's beyond me. Anyway, I agree with the OP, it's the thought that counts, not the actual words. Words are meant to express thoughts, the OP pretty much gave perfect examples. Anyway, that's my opinion. Even though we cus alot, doesn't mean we're not articulate it's just how we choose to express ourselves.

18. I agree. I've always thought myself, these words aren't any worse than any other word? They are simply that, words. They are only deemed 'bad' because that's the way we've come to see and interpret them. Hell, any of these 'bad' words could have taken a different course in history and be fine. They are only 'bad' because society made them, consequently, using them makes you vulgar, and for that reason I tend to avoid using them excessively.

19. I've noticed a lot of people in my area use "fuck" for every other word that comes out of their mouth, even saying "fuckiiiiiiiiinnn" instead of "ummmmmm".

Personally I've tried to cut way back on swear words, even on here.

20. And when they say that, does everyone around you get offended? It's just how the individual decifers the words, how people don't understand that is beyond me :rolleyes:. And I've also been trying to cut back on cus words, I use them waay to much ha :smoke: