what the fuck did i just do - RLA inc.

Discussion in 'General' started by themeltdown, Oct 9, 2009.

1. In a nutshell I just got scammed into thinking I was helping a fundraiser for my school

A few minutes ago this girl comes knocking door to door in my residence hall (that you have to have a student ID to even enter) and she says her public speaking class is doing a magazine sale fundraiser for their trip to europe, so I figure okay I've done these magazine sales before so now I guess it's my turn to contribute

so I buy my subscription and give her the money and get my receipt, then I remember the address I gave her probably wasn't the best one, so I look for a phone number or an email where I can contact somebody to change it...there isn't one. just "RLA inc." and a PO Box address

so I go to google to look for a website and I don't find one -- all I find is numerous complaints about how people don't receive their magazines and it's a scam and it's ALWAYS the same story, a student raising money for their class trip

so now I'm out $55 and I told the RA that this is a scam and to not let her back into the building...hopefully the news will spread around and she won't be able to get anybody else besides the people that she already has

2. fuckin lame man. i've dealt w/ traveling magazine crews a couple times in differnt cities. these are some of the shadiest, most fucked up people that i've had to be around.

3. "im actually not a crack addict, i just sell these mags for extra cash" - Office Space

use your gut next time, they're all liars

4. just say no.... lol

5. Man I had some guy come up to my door a couple weeks back. He looked pretty shady and was asking for money cuz it was supposed to help the homless. He said he was doing work for some organization. But I was like nah, I really don't have any money. I hate people that go around asking people for money.

Sucks that you got ripped off by that chick though. If you see her around (probably won't) but tell her she better give your money back.

6. I just hate that some people will find a way to do the seemingly impossible (get into my building) just to get somebodys money, it's what makes me think there's nobody in this world I can trust and there's no point in even trying to believe people anymore

7. ah, you know it ain't like that bro. there's lots of good folks out there. you just have to read people, ya know? like your sig says, Life is good.

8. find that girl and do what ya gotta do to get your money back man.

ya know?

9. I seriously doubt that I will ever see that girl again, so I'm going after the source of the problem - RLA incorporated. I don't know why these people haven't been shut down yet, but I've found out some interesting information.

Like I said, there was no phone number on the receipt so I went online to find one. The Better Business Bureau of Dallas has a phone number listed for them - (972) 347-2626. I called it and it I got a voicemail saying that I have reached RLA incorporated and that their office hours close at 4PM, well I called before 4 (central time) and nobody answered.

The address on the receipt is only a PO Box - I wanted a REAL address. Surprisingly, this phone number is listed and it has an address and name with it:

Gia Booney
    9016 Boone Dr
    Mckinney, TX 75071
    (972) 347-2626

I don't believe the name is real just because of the street/name similarity. I did a google street view search of this address and it is a house with a for rent sign in the front yard, it doesn't appear that anybody is living there. I suspect that this is an empty house with a phone plugged in somewhere with an answering machine.

So, if it's for rent than that means somebody must already own the house. I looked up the address in the Collin County GIS database and I found the owner of the house:

MORGAN CHRISTOPHER D
    15557 CROWN COVE LN
    FRISCO, TX 75035

I can't find a phone number for this person or this address, so I'm not sure where to go from here, this is kind of difficult since the source of the problem is in Texas and I'm in South Carolina :(