What Subs Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by BreezyF, Aug 6, 2012.

1. What subs should I get? I have a budget of around $200, install and everything not looking for something that is super loud just good bass and quality, and not to spacious. Thanks

2. #2 RooRgle, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
    I've got one 12'' Kicker with a mono kicker amp to power it. I like it. I drive a Jeep and my interior is Line-x'd since I get water in that shit, my sub box is also line-x'd and amps are raised, so I made sure I picked out amps and speakers that were on the cheaper side, just incase my shit got soaked. Really nice sound for the price, deep bass. :metal:

I should mention I also had 2 10" JL subs and a JL amp powering it, it was a sweet custom system. This was in my old truck, shit sounded so nice, but I put so much money in that system (high school of course), had a fiber glass enclosure molded in my rear dodge ram storage compartment in the back, had JL plexi glass cover with sheet metal and led lights...I haven't been able to post pics, but when it's available I'll post, shit was sweet, WAYYY overpriced though...I like my kicker system though, much simpler, and my wallet is much fatter :)

3. [quote name='"RooRgle"']I've got one 12'' Kicker with a mono kicker amp to power it. I like it. I drive a Jeep and my interior is Line-x'd since I get water in that shit, my sub box is also line-x'd and amps are raised, so I made sure I picked out amps and speakers that were on the cheaper side, just incase my shit got soaked. Really nice sound for the price, deep bass. :metal:

I should mention I also had 2 10" JL subs and a JL amp powering it, it was a sweet custom system. This was in my old truck, shit sounded so nice, but I put so much money in that system (high school of course), had a fiber glass enclosure molded in my rear dodge ram storage compartment in the back, had JL plexi glass cover with sheet metal and led lights...I haven't been able to post pics, but when it's available I'll post, shit was sweet, WAYYY overpriced though...I like my kicker system though, much simpler, and my wallet is much fatter :)[/quote]

What you pay total?

4. #4 RooRgle, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
    Well it was $180 for the amp, sub, and regular box, but then I got another box, line-x'd so that raised the price a lot, better sound as well, solid enclosure (I think the box alone was $150).

But the regular box and one 12" sub with amp is $180-$200. If you can do the work yourself, awesome, if not you'll probably drop $100-$150 for the install (including speaker wire) this also depends on where you live. It's not hard to find cheap here where I live, but if I'm getting it done I would get it done right.

The JL system, after install, custom shit..was like $1400 or something. I didn't even upgrade speakers, just head unit and custom subs, ipod hookup, and single din.

The Jeep total was like $1,000 all kicker, I replaced four speakers, and added a sub, running with two separate amps, and ipod/iphone hookup. What makes this set up so expensive is the double din pioneer 4300 DVD sitting in the jeep as well (with the dvd bypass, watching always sunny while road tripping, haha), but my gf got the pioneer for my bday last yr, so I got hooked up. Good luck with the set up man, hope I helped. :wave:

5. [quote name='"RooRgle"']

Well it was $180 for the amp, sub, and regular box, but then I got another box, line-x'd so that raised the price a lot, better sound as well, solid enclosure (I think the box alone was $150).

But the regular box and one 12" sub with amp is $180-$200. If you can do the work yourself, awesome, if not you'll probably drop $100-$150 for the install (including speaker wire) this also depends on where you live. It's not hard to find cheap here where I live, but if I'm getting it done I would get it done right.

The JL system, after install, custom shit..was like $1400 or something. I didn't even upgrade speakers, just head unit and custom subs, ipod hookup, and single din.

The Jeep total was like $1,000 all kicker, I replaced four speakers, and added a sub, running with two separate amps, and ipod/iphone hookup. What makes this set up so expensive is the double din pioneer 4300 DVD sitting in the jeep as well (with the dvd bypass, watching always sunny while road tripping, haha), but my gf got the pioneer for my bday last yr, so I got hooked up. Good luck with the set up man, hope I helped. :wave:[/quote]

Yea you did thanks a bunch

6. On criagslist in my city there is 2 12" jl's in a sub-zero box with a 700 watt kicker amp for $250. You could sell the amp and get a decent price because it's a kicker and get one that's bigger but still a good deal for $250 and would be alright.

7. [quote name='"blazedasfuck"']On criagslist in my city there is 2 12" jl's in a sub-zero box with a 700 watt kicker amp for $250. You could sell the amp and get a decent price because it's a kicker and get one that's bigger but still a good deal for $250 and would be alright.[/quote]

Yea but the only problem is there would have to be a deal like that on craigslist

8. I've had Kicker Comp's and Rockford Fosgates(RF). The Fosgates put the Kickers to shame in every regard. I bought a pair of RF P3's with the corresponding Fosgate amp, in an enclosure, all for $200. on Craigslist. I'd rather buy a whooped pair of RF P1's than a new Kicker. Anyhow, check out Craigslist and see what pops up. I bought a set of Fosgate 10's in a RF enclosre with the RF amp for $170. off CL last year. Look for 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's, they are great speakers, the T1/T2's are overkill. See if you can find a package deal for an amp, speakers and enclosure.

9. [quote name='"Vir Infractus"']I've had Kicker Comp's and Rockford Fosgates(RF). The Fosgates put the Kickers to shame in every regard. I bought a pair of RF P3's with the corresponding Fosgate amp, in an enclosure, all for $200. on Craigslist. I'd rather buy a whooped pair of RF P1's than a new Kicker. Anyhow, check out Craigslist and see what pops up. I bought a set of Fosgate 10's in a RF enclosre with the RF amp for $170. off CL last year. Look for 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's, they are great speakers, the T1/T2's are overkill. See if you can find a package deal for an amp, speakers and enclosure.[/quote]

I know this isn't what you said but I looked about found these... Seems kinda too good to be true I'd ask 150 because it's about an hour away what you think?

Attached Files:

10. [quote name='"Vir Infractus"']I've had Kicker Comp's and Rockford Fosgates(RF). The Fosgates put the Kickers to shame in every regard. I bought a pair of RF P3's with the corresponding Fosgate amp, in an enclosure, all for $200. on Craigslist. I'd rather buy a whooped pair of RF P1's than a new Kicker. Anyhow, check out Craigslist and see what pops up. I bought a set of Fosgate 10's in a RF enclosre with the RF amp for $170. off CL last year. Look for 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's, they are great speakers, the T1/T2's are overkill. See if you can find a package deal for an amp, speakers and enclosure.[/quote]

Also what about these? They are p2's but I wouldn't want to pay that much maybe 300 is that low balling?

Attached Files:

11. Fuck it, low ball him.

12. Like 250?

13. The guy said he bought them in 2007 and wants 300, would they still be ok?

14. Go look at them and ask to hear them play. Then, while its playing, check the amps gain setting. If its over 3/4 the way up turn away.. If not then they probably weren't totally abused

15. [quote name='"midnittoke"']Go look at them and ask to hear them play. Then, while its playing, check the amps gain setting. If its over 3/4 the way up turn away.. If not then they probably weren't totally abused[/quote]

Where would it be? On the amp what would it look like? I'm new to all this

16. It will be on the amplifier. Look up the models online, there should be some pictures so you have an idea and the knob will be labeld "gain"

17. [quote name='"midnittoke"']It will be on the amplifier. Look up the models online, there should be some pictures so you have an idea and the knob will be labeld "gain"[/quote]

So how far would be an acceptable amount

18. More than likely he will crank it all the way with the false assumption that it will be louder. If its 3/4 or over walk away.. The subs were probably clipped to shit and will blow soon

19. Please, none. No one wants to hear your rap blasting their neighborhood. The world has enough loud noise without having another set of subwoofers polluting the air.