What St. Pattys Day has become is Fucked Up..

Discussion in 'General' started by Flemian, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Does anyone even know the history of it without looking it up? I dont. And I think its kind of fucked up that its become the day in the United States thats dedicated to getting shit faced, which by the way is embarrising, instead of the increadibly religous holiday it should be. Im athies personally and dont care about religion but the whole concept of what the day means should be /facepalmed. If you want an excuse to get smashed why not wait until octoberfest? Its a whole month dedicated to beer... Sounds much better than disgraceing a Holy Saint.

Who Is St Patrick?

Little is known of Patrick's early life, though it is known that he was born in Roman Britain in the fourth century, into a wealthy Romano-British family. His father and grandfather were deacons in the Christian church. At the age of sixteen, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken captive to Ireland as a slave.[12] It is believed he was held somewhere on the west coast of Ireland, possibly Mayo, but the exact location is unknown. According to his Confession, he was told by God in a dream to flee from captivity to the coast, where he would board a ship and return to Britain. Upon returning, he quickly joined the Church in Auxerre in Gaul and studied to be a priest.[citation needed]
    In 432, he again said that he was called back to Ireland, though as a bishop, to Christianise the Irish from their native polytheism. Irish folklore tells that one of his teaching methods included using the shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity to the Irish people. After nearly thirty years of evangelism, he died on 17 March 461, and according to tradition, was buried at Downpatrick. Although there were other more successful missions to Ireland from Rome, Patrick endured as the principal champion of Irish Christianity and is held in esteem in the Irish church.

Whats up with the color green?

Originally, the colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. Over the years the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's day grew.[13] Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century.[14] Saint Patrick is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish, and the wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the day.[15][16] In the 1798 rebellion, to make a political statement, Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17 March in hopes of catching public attention.[13] The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from a song of the same name.

2. all holidays have lost their meaning and are fucked up now.

and the world moved on

3. Green= the color of ireland. lots of grass and stuff

type in "ireland" in google images and youll see a lotta green. its aslo on the flag

i think saint patick supposingly banished the snakes from ireland? idk man im not irish

4. christmas used to be about jesus too

people just need an excuse to party

5. I've been wondering this all day, my twitter feed is everybody saying happy st pattys day lololol and nobody even knows what theyre celebrating..

I sure as fuck didn't know

6. OP is a hypocrite. You're saying that you're not going to get shitfaced today? You don't tend on getting drunk during Christmas? Easter? Come on..

7. Its Good to know where things originated. Good post OP.

8. Yea good post I never knew that, that's just one example of how we are all screwed and the whole world is goin to hell, it seems like everythin is falling apart in this world

9. Smoking green > wearing green

10. [quote name='"fer405"']Yea good post I never knew that, that's just one example of how we are all screwed and the whole world is goin to hell, it seems like everythin is falling apart in this world[/quote]

You're right man, people getting drunk on holidays = whole world falling apart

11. #12 Mr.Burnsalot, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    I bet you accept gifts on Christmas. So stop bitching everyone.

I do agree however. My family felt disrespected when I told them not to get me anything last year because I don't believe in all the mumbo jumbo.

It does blow my mind he's not even Irish even though he played an important role.

12. haha dude every country does that with their national holidays now a days. They have queens day here in late april and its supposed to be celebrating the queens birthday but everyone just gets smashed and theres lots of festivals and parties n stuff its a quality day haha.

13. Maybe fellow blade Twee can give us a fellow explanation of St. Pattys Day

14. That was an interesting read. I'm still going to get shitfaced, though.

15. America loves holidays. Well corporations sure do. Were just stupid and love flashy gimmicks.

I don't even celebrate Xmas anymore, it's all fake.

And if April 20 became a stoner holiday, I bet they'll ruin that too. I'll celebrate the first few until it involves buying stupid crap and commercials.

16. That's what capatalism does to holidays, oh well it's a religious holiday, i would rather people get shit faced. :p

17. I dont drink alcohol. So I dont understand how Im being a hypocrite. I think alcohol is destructive to mankind.

18. If you read the my OP you would know that it has nothing to do with ireland being green. All nations with grass are green. It has to do with the color of the clover... And nothing to do with snakes...

19. [quote name='"Flemian"']

If you read the my OP you would know that it has nothing to do with ireland being green. All nations with grass are green. It has to do with the color of the clover... And nothing to do with snakes...[/quote]

Actually, he was know for chasing "snakes" out of Ireland. The snakes being all the pagans, druids, and witches that lived there. Also "chasing" was a euphemism for torcher, killing, and a whole mess of other nasty stuff that was done in the churches name.

I did a lot of studying on the origin of holidays and their corresponding religions, when I decided to figure out the whole religion thing.