What sound deadener to put on door?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by anarch, Nov 6, 2012.

1. All of the noise from my grow room comes through my hollow door. Id like to put some sound deadener on it but im having trouble deciding what to use. Dynomat would be my first choice but its an arm and a leg right now. Should i be looking at automotive or studio sound deadener? I only need it for my door. What would you use?

2. Are they high or low frequency noises? If they are mostly high frequency, hanging some carpet on the inside of the door might help. But fiber glass insulation would be your best bet for absorption of a wide range of high and low frequency noises. Just make sure you cover it up somehow so you don't get itchy when you open the door.

3. Yea its both frequencies from fans and ballasts. That is an awesome idea, I'll probably try that tomorrow

4. For a grow room or are you planning on a little kidnapping?

5. I'm planning on having a secret roommate that is never home without it sounding like he has a bunch of fans and a couple large lights in his room. But legit question i guess

6. I had he same problem. I pulled the door apart and stuffed it with fiberglass insulation.

Beginning 3rd grow(Apprentice) - BC Big Bud

7. Drill holes in door (inside), spray with expandable foam insulation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using GC Forum

8. [quote name='"danktank 420"']Drill holes in door (inside), spray with expandable foam insulation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using GC Forum[/quote]

If its your first time using expandable insulation be careful. Drill holes about every 6" vertically. Start with the bottom hole, fill in till foam comes out bottom hole then move up to next hole an do the same. These doors are cheap to replace if you need a reg door again.

Beginning 3rd grow(Apprentice) - BC Big Bud

9. I have a similar question: I want to dampen the sound from my cabinet (1.5x3x6) and I have searched around trying to find a cheap sound deadening option.

I remember people using closed cell foam for acoustic dampening in cars, anybody tried this in a grow room?

10. Anything with lots of surface area will deaden sound. Also the more dense the material the better.

Good examples:
    Carpet
    Insulation
    Styrofoam board
    Textured paint
    Rubber mats

Also look for vibration sound. Like if a fan is sitting on a wood desk, putting a rubber mat under it or hanging it with a bungee cord will deaden the noise a bit. Anything that vibrates (fans, airpumps, etc.)

11. Thanks man, I don't know what i was thinking, but it is only the exhast fan that's making sound so I'll just buy some good deadening and out it on the fan itself.