What soil should i use?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TightButthole, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I just started. Its my first grow and i've built a pretty awesome grow cabinet but i have a question, what soil should i use? i just ordered a femenized white widow seed so i need some good soil and some advice on nutes would be great too. Thanks :wave:

2. there are different types of soils for vegetative and flowering stage. For vegetative stage (the one that you will be in after germination) plants like soil rich in nitrogen.

3. #3 KittyInACup619, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    happy frog is good, as well as fox farm. fuck miracle gro, fuck expert gardener. fuck anything that has a 'wetting agent' (read the ingredients!).

4. Farm Farm Ocean Forest is hands down the best soil I've used so far. Great for any plant at any stage of its life.

5. #5 KittyInACup619, Aug 6, 2011
    happy frog is better for veg. it's pH'd, has lime, and has light nutes, along with a lot
    more nitrogen. fox farm is pretty heavy on nutes and doesn't have any lime to maintain the pH.

6. I highly disagree. I just started my seedlings in Ocean Forest and they're perfect; no nute burn or any problems. My last grow I watered everyday with pH 5.5- 5.8 water and soil pH stayed at 6.5 ;really disagree on the buffer in Ocean Forest.

I also started my last grow with clones in Ocean Forest and they didn't ask for nutes until about 2 weeks into the grow. Tells me the soil is very rich.

"The ultimate potting soil—everything your plants need, in one bag. Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of premium earthworm castings, bat guano, and Pacific Northwest sea-going fish and crab meal. Composted forest humus, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Garden tip: Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom™ Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit.
    "

7. #7 KittyInACup619, Aug 6, 2011
    haha calm down man, I didn't mean anything by it. I just think fox farm is a little over used. just trying to give him other options, ya know? i'm using fox farm myself, and if it hadn't been for my
    own stupid ass mistake, my babies would be perfect, too. I'm on my first grow, and you sound pretty informative. how can you tell if a plant is asking for nutrients? o honestly have no idea, and I think I'm burning mine right now.

8. The way a plant tells you it need nutrients is by showing a nutrient deficiency.

My clones started showing Mg deficiency so that is when I started them on nutrients. In about a day, the discoloration distinct to a Mg deficiency was gone and the leaves were back to a healthy, soft green. This however is not to be confused with pH. If the pH is above 7 or below 6, the plant will lock out certain nutrients and it will appear as a deficiency but really the problem is the pH. I've never had a problem with Ocean Forest soil with pH.
    Nute burn generally shows itself as a harsh yellowing/orange tint forming on the leaf starting with the tip. The more severe, the more damaged the leaves become. This can also be confused with light stress so you really have to distinguish it. I ran into a problem last grow that looked like nute burn but my feeding schedule was perfect..turned out I had to replace my double RO filter because I was hitting a high PPM in the water before adding nutrients.

For more info about deficiencies, go here:
    The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles! - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

9. #9 KittyInACup619, Aug 6, 2011
    thank you very much. I'll read up on that. seems like some good stuff to know.