What soil recipes do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TloGrow, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dolomite Lime (Magnesium Limestone) = Magnesium (Mg) source that takes several months to be available. It's a mediocre source of Calcium (Ca). It's main use in agriculture is for Magnesium deficiencies which are rare indeed.

If you want a liming agent then you have legitimate Calcium and Calcium Carbonate sources for either the same money or in some cases less money.

If I lived where Jerry lives with the availability of lobster shell meal, I wouldn't look at any mined lime agent ever. Look at the elements and compounds in lobster shell powder vs. any of the mined lime agents.

LD

2. Which is exactly where my "Coast of Maine" composted Maine crab & Maine lobster & Maine mussels comes into play.

Case closed.

jerry.

3. Jerry

There's an old, old fertilizer company down in Marion County - the heart of the Willamette Valley. It's called MarionAg interestingly enough.

So I had an opportunity to talk with one of their reps at a trade show and I was asking him about crab meal. They have a product that they call crustacean meal which is Dungeness crab shells and Oregon Bay Shrimp shells (those horrible tiny ones). He explained how the crab meal deal works as it follows the harvesting areas at different times of the year.

I asked him if he could write it down for me and on the list was the specific 6 - 8 week period that the local crustacean meal would be available. Not that it's better - let's say that it isn't. But it's local and runs about $.50 per lb. and a bag last me about 2 years.

But you've got lobster shell meal to work with. I just ran the numbers comparing Alaska King Crab shell meal vs. Lobster shell meal just for sh*ts and grins. On the Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) level which is around 80% and that translates into 30% elemental Calcium (Ca) so not much difference there. But it's when you compare the Phosphorus (P) levels, Magnesium (Mg), Silica (Si) and most others, lobster shell wins out.

Can you buy straight lobster meal?

LD

4. I wish to hell I could, but I havent been able to find any. I thik that my only way out of that one would be to find a company that specializes in lobster meat, and ask if I can take home or buy a carful of shells, take 'em home and figure out a way to grind/pulverize/beat the shit outta them.

jerry.

5. Here's a link for you to chase down - literally because I punched the 'ordering information' and was redirected. Also try 'lobster shell waste' in a google and that will bring up some leads for you. Lobster Shell Fertilizer

Now here's a general question. According to this analysis the N in this product is ammonium N. To get it into a plant useable form its got to go thru the nitrifying process and that requires a heavy population of bacteria versus that of fungi (ref: TWM). This perhaps being true it might be safe to view lobster shell more for all of the other beneficial elements it contains and without too high a regard for N. The availability of the N in this case would be much, much slower as plant available so one might select a different source N if N was in fact their desire.

6. Mine is local oysterhouse shucked shells that I pounded up, and about 8 'foot sized' (ie, *Legal*) Dungeness crab shells from my kids catches, also pounded up; and some flaked chicken scratch calcium mix, but I think i'd like some lobster shells too.. thanks for the idea!

7. The dolomite that is mined approx. 50 miles from my house is 85% calcium carbonate and 3%magnesium. Is that considered calcitic limestone? For years I've spiked my liming with epsom salt in an effort to make sure there's enough available mag to make it through an outdoor season. If I would have known about shellfish meals 15 years ago I would have fabricated my own mill. All along the Gulf coast people would PAY YOU to haul off shellfish waste. Nevermind buying it.

Another question: posts ago I saw lava rock mentioned. Is the red lava rock that is used for landscaping safe for use as an aeration amendment? By the color of it, I thought it would be too full of ferrous metal oxides to be suitable for our purposes.

8. Another question: posts ago I saw lava rock mentioned. Is the red lava rock that is used for landscaping safe for use as an aeration amendment? By the color of it, I thought it would be too full of ferrous metal oxides to be suitable for our purposes.

It works fine. Probably a little big unless you have something smaller too. I didn't try to bust it up, I also have old perlite in the soil mix, that is partially broke down. But it seems to work as advertised....MIW

9. Jerry, I've composted both crab leg shells and lobster and crawfish shells. They go fast, in about two weeks there's no sign of them. At least in the small quanities we consume. That would save you beating them to smithereens, lol.....MIW

10. poppybgood

That's Limestone, i.e. 85% Calcium Carbonate with the small amount of Magnesium. Dolomite Lime does not contain Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) but rather elemental Calcium (Ca)

LD

11. The way I grow is super duper easy..I get a large bail of promix and five five gallon buckets, a bag of perlite and a bag of earth worm castings..I have Jamaican bat guano I would add if transplanting a larger plant into it..otherwise just a seed goes in..promix with ewc will carry the plant three weeks no problem..all I add is superthrive for the first three weeks. The plants do awesome.I also add great white shark and rooters myco
    Once they're three weeks onld I make a tea
    Five gallon bucket with four gals water.
    Half teaspoon of Jamaican bat guano 10-2-1
    Half tsp of Peruvian bat guano 20-22-10 I think
    a hand full of ewc
    I put it in a sock and let it hang in the water over an airstone for 24 hours..I add great white then I feed all the plants..
    That's where I'm at in my journal right now
    I'm also using pura vida organic grow and bloom cuz it has micros in it.
    Check my journal if you care to ..peace gro

12. What do you use the Superthrive for and what does it do for you -

jerry

13. #93 LumperDawgz2, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    **chuckle**

Jerry

Getting Superthrive delisted by ODA began the massive increase in products being added to the list. It took a coalition of several individuals, a couple of national groups and an international group. It was done pretty easily by petitioning ODA to implement the EPA's finding on NAA specifically.

Once this 70-year old titan in the home gardening industry was delisted, ODA figured out that there was money to be made by simply implementing Oregon law and that it didn't need to rely on EPA or USDA.

Buh-bye!

LD

14. Honestly I always just assumed the superthrive was vitamins..i dont think anyone really knows what it is...ill say this though it works..ive seen the side by side when I got it..i always do a side by side otherwise id have no fuckin clue what does what..i will swear by superthrive, its just what they need from sprout to about two weeks into veg..the ones I use it on are insanly bigger I have pics right now...lets see if I can find em

15. Lets see if I got these right....the firsy was never given ant ST and the second has been fed it...foliar fed and in the water..when I get home today I can post side by sides..

Attached Files:

16. Ok this is the one that didnt get any....the other two did..sorry bout the multiposts

Attached Files:

17. #97 MI Wolverine, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    If you think your plants need vitamins for some reason take a look at the vitamins and nutrients in kelp meal or alfalfa meal or even spirulina ( blue green algae, sold for health reasons)

But don't feel bad for using ST, it could have been worse, look at the price of b52. And gain compare the b52 to the meals for a good laugh......MIW

18. Yeah shperthive may be one of those things that do more for my mind than it does for the plants...if my pura vita is made of kelp and alfalfa and a few other things like that theyre probably getting those vitamins already?
    The superthrive was something someone told me to use years ago and it just kinda stuck...do plants need vitamins?maybe because ive been happy with the results in the past im kinda scared to change shit up, but thats not even the case cuz I switch it all around this time..first real time maki.g teas and shit..should I just stick with the teas? What about micros? Whats the good stuff for micronutes?

19. #99 LumperDawgz2, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011

20. The very best thing for growing organically is to secure some high end ewc/compost. The compost will have some of everything that was composted, and those microbes in the compost make the nutrients available to the plants. That making available thing is more important than how much we pile on. Like the saying assays in organics less is more. If the less is high end compost, it really is more.

After that kelp and alfalfa meals are very complete amendments you can add. Compost teas could be added to boost microbe numbers. You could round out anything else nutrient wise with a cheap dry organic fertilizer, add your minerals, and you should be good to go.

For even mo betta, you can add neem/karanja cake and crab meal, for both bug controls and fertilizers......MIW