What size tent?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ROC-DOGG, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Hi all! I have just recieved my ACMPR and am allowed to legally grow 5 plants indoors. So my question is: How big a tent should I get for 5 plants? Info I also need is what wattage light do I get also? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Big as you have space for and can afford. As your plants grow you will appreciate the room to work in a larger tent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. A 4x4 tent with a maximum of 4 plants and a minimum of 600 actual watts. If you do that size and do 5 plants your yield probably won't be much more because of overcrowding. Four plants with 600 actual watts of light should yield about 1-1/2 pounds. How much do you expect to yield?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wasn't really thinking about yield, legally I'm only aloud 225g of stored canibus.
    This would be my first grow. Thanks for the quick responses.

5. You can get that off of one plant with the right light.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ya but the government of Canada allows me to have 5 plants but I can only store 225g of dried plant. So I was thinking about doing 5 and only putting a couple at 1 time into flower.

7. Well considering that flower time is usually around 10 weeks and you will probably veg the first one for 6 weeks, your fifth plant will be 11 months old before you flower it. If it stays healthy it will be quite large. Maintaining 4 mother plants will take a lot of light. I would grow according to your smoking habits, not what is allowed by law. How long does it take you to smoke 225 grams?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Quite a while I only smoke a quarter a week.

9. Ok. 225 grams is 8 oz. so your dried bud will last you 32 weeks, that's nearly 8 months. A normal grow is 4 months with photos - so you take 4 months off between grows and always have enough without going over your limit. That's assuming of course that you can yield 8 oz. per grow. That saves you a lot of money on power, nutes, and other grow costs like medium.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Remember. You can either grow 2 big plants or 5 smaller plants.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So I'm still stuck on how big a tent to get and what size light as well?

12. i would for plan two tents you lose less time doing rotation

13. I don't know why he would need two tents if he decides to only do one grow every 8 months.

14. I would get a 4x4 tent, a 400-600 actual watt light and grow two plants at a time - that's what I do and I yield over a pound. Good luck

15. Thank you this is exactly what I needed to know

16. Remember that there's a such thing as an electric bill. In a small scale personal grow one of the factors people don't consider is it takes a lot of wattage to fill a space to flower plants. The lighting requirements start to go quite high once the tent gets bigger then 4x4.

A 4x4 tent is 16 square feet. A 5x5 tent is 25 square feet. The 5x5 is over 50% larger. It requires 50% more light power to fill it properly. Suddenly your monthy electric bill has went up $150.

My own personal garden is 2 4x4 tents. One for veg and one for bloom. I think it's a great setup. You need extra work room in the veg area for training and clones. If you have two separate tents you can run different light cycles and not worry about interrupting the flower side.

Flower side light requirements as far as wattage vary according to what type of light you use. 1000 watt vented hood HPS is common to use in a 4x4. 1000 watts can do 5x5 but only with a large open reflector or bulb. In a tent you'll need a vented hood to manage heat and get a closer light distance. Vented hoods don't spread the light as well though so it limits the 1000 watt coverage area to about 4x4. That's 62.5 watts per square foot.

For flowering with HPS you want about 50-70 watts per square foot.
    Flowering with led you can get by with about 30-50 watts per square foot. Some of the highest quality kits can run as low as 25 watts per square.

What I would do is plan on flowering 2 plants at a time in the 4x4 bud area. At the same time have next crop coming up in the veg tent. That way every time the bud tent is empty you put 2 new big plants in there. When you move plants to the flower side take clones. If you time it like that you'll never have more than 4 plants at a time and remain legal. You'll also be harvesting about every 2 1/2 months or sooner.

Check out my last thread in the lighting section if you want the best grow light for your purchasing dollar. I just ordered two new veg lights yesterday for $125 total. I'm going to attempt to veg my 4x4 with 120 watts. Currently flowering with about 775 on the flower side. Once I replace my older led panel that will drop to about 550. The newest leds are much more efficient then even the stuff that came out last year and two years ago. It's almost a game changer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hey ROC-DOGG
    I am from canada as well (Ontario). I have grown 4 plants in a 3x3 tent, 400 watt bulb. My first harvest i got 1/2 lb. that lasted me and my husband til next harvest. The 2nd harvest, we learned to top and managed to get 3/4 lb. its all about how much time and money you want to put into it. We used cheap walmart topsoil and added our nutrients. If you want cheap go this way. Our hydro bill is only an extra $20 a month. Growlights.ca is where we got everything we need. They are located in ontario and they deliver in 2 days to me.

• Like Like x 1