What size light?!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Aarong1131, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Alright guys, i currently have 4 plants in a 1.2x1.2m tent with a 600w hps, this is my second lot of plants with this light and ever since i got it i have been having problems with temps and humidity, i honestly have tried most things too get them right but nothing has worked so far, so it just came too me today that maybe if i just swapped my 600w with a 400w this would solve all problems? Decided too ask you guys first before i go spend even more money, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. If it's not a dimmable ballast then you either have to get an A/C to cool down the room or go for a 400w. No idea what your temps are, but there's not really a ton of ways to cool down an area outside of AC or less wattage. Unless your outside air is sub 60F of course.

You could also try using a cool tube and vent the heat from the bulb directly to the outside, but you'll still have heat issues. Maybe not as much though. Co2 won't help temps, but it will let help plants survive under high temps (90F around 1000-1500ppm or so).

3. Hps are nice lights, and I would like a 600 but I can't handle temps either with my set up. If I were you, I would go with COBs or quantum boards. They're really bright, efficient, and low temps. The QBs are a pretty good deal too. That's what I'm looking at anyway.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. No its just a normal ballast, the temps and humidity are about 32℃ and 35% humidity, i have tried humidifiers and evaporative coolers and don't seems too do much so do u think a 400w would fix everything? Or at least help it more than anything i have tried, thanks again!

5. Hmm, i haven't heard of them but they seem worth looking into, thanks again bud!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I quit using my hps. U really need a real grow room with climate control to use those. Plus that light is way to big for that tent. U could do a 4x4 with that light

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

7. Less wattage always means less heat, but by how much I can't say since that depends on pretty much every factor in your grow space. Evap coolers only really work if you live in a dry, low humidity area and even then only barely (5-10F). It's not remotely the same thing as an A/C.

I agree with @Papa Puff in that you need a slightly larger grow space. 4x4x7 is the minimum you want with a 600w both because of how intense the light is and how hot they get. Before you spend more money on LEDs though keep in mind they have a very focused hotspot compared to your HPS that you'll either need a high ceiling for or a light mover.

Maybe look at 12-16 bulb T5? That's what I use and they only raise my ambient by 7-8 degrees, but you either gotta cool the air or get cooler lights. No free meals when growing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I grow in a 6 by 9 by 8 room and I have not set it up with fans like exhaust fans and I generally just work off the temperature in the house without turning on anything. But even with the air conditioning on and cooling the house down I was getting heat stress in there and I'm talking fans blowing all over the place. I switch to a 315 watt CMH and it really works good I use that on a four-by-four indoors

• Like Like x 1
  9. The other thing I like about CMH is the bulbs last for like 2 years and you can get the colored bulbs like you see on the last pic like the HPS bulbs. I may throw in some Led strips later[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. I continue to struggle with properly venting the heat from a 400w in my 2 x 4ft closet; oscillating fan above the light isn't cutting it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I use an 8 bulb, 432w t5 for 2-3 autoflowers. Works pretty good, but I personally wouldn't grow photo-period plants with it. Not enough intensity for only 12 hours.

12. Oscillating fans don't cool air. They just move it. Centrifugal fan are used to move hot air away from the plants and cool air (assuming your ambient isn't hot as well) is brought in to replace it. If you aren't venting the air then you're just moving hot air around in a circle.

13. I disagree. I run 12 bulbs(bought an extra 4 bulb), but mainly because I vegged for 6 weeks instead of 4 and they grew too big. YMMV I suppose.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  14. Looks excellent. Nice job man

• Like Like x 1
  15. A fresh handful of seeds follow a batch of seven slowly gathering steam under 50w UFOs.
    IMG_20180206_135909.jpg IMG_20180206_135901.jpg
    my Twinderellas under 390w - 20/4 until the 20th
    IMG_20180207_125558.jpg IMG_20180207_125641.jpg
    their impatient sisters beneath 450w - 12/12 about a week ago
    IMG_20180205_230439.jpg IMG_20180205_230451.jpg
    the sad reality of my current crop in the closet - soon to fall to frustration and disappointment
    IMG_20180208_165326.jpg IMG_20180208_165336.jpg IMG_20180208_165342.jpg

16. What i continually strive for but fall short of.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ambient air in house is around 71 with a fan that recently failed providing extra flow - just need to replace it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Here's some auto northern lights I grew with my t5. Not bad[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. I think i will just get a dimmable ballast at the moment until i have enough space to get a bigger tent, hopefully that works, but i live in a dry place so its hard too get my humidity up, a 400w wont bring it up that much more i don't think so any ideas on how i can raise it? Have tried humidifiers but nothing, thanks again for all this you guys!

• Like Like x 1
  20. I have heat and low humidity cause I'm in the fucking desert lol. Shit i grow outdoors in 120 heat and 10%rh in summer lol

• Like Like x 1