What size is this joint? 18mm or 14mm?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Solidskei, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Hey, I don't have a measuring device on me at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the size of this joint? I put it next to a penny for size reference. This is my first glass on glass bong so please understand my ignorance.  :D Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Thanks man, you sure? I could post more pics if you guys want

3. I would guess 18. If i still had my 18 or 14 mm bong i would hold coins up to it to give you a definitive answer. I remember my 14 being pretty small though, like the size of a dime or maybe a little smaller.

4. You could always measure it in centimeters and that would give you a for sure answer sunce there are 10 mm in a cm. Theres also 25.4 mm in an inch if you can only use standard measurement.

5. A few more pictures would be helpful, however it looks like a low profile 18/14 down stem meaning the joint on the tube would be 18mm and the slide joint would be 14mm. I have both 14mm and 18mm down stems and a penny will nearly fit inside my 18 where its far to big for the 14. I hope this was helpful. :bongin:

6. Thanks the the help, guys! I think it's 18mm. I found a measuring tape but I'm still not sure! I'm just trying to be positive since I'm buying a new bowl and don't want to get the wrong size.  :wacko:

Here's some more pictures.

Attached Files:

7. #8 SupaaBaked, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
    Damn dude i had a nice wake n bake this morning and didn't realize you had a pic with a tape measure on it. Unless i'm really bad at math right now 3/4 of an inch is about 18mm give or take one mm. 14mm would be just a little over 1/2 an inch.

I just realized you posted the tape pic after my last post. I'm gonna smoke another bowl.

8. Hahaha too high dude too high, but thank you!

9. If you can stick your pinky finger in the hole, it's 18mm, if not, it's 14mm.

10. The bottom half of that measuring tape is metric use that side to measure to be sure (remember 1 cm is 10 mm), also if your buying from your lhs just take the down stem with you, as long as its perfectly clean I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Good luck, Happy smoking!  :bongin: 

11. And again you can see how high i was this morning because i didn't even notice it had cm on the bottom of the tape and was trying to do all this math while stoned. I need to pay more attention to detail lol.

12. i just used a penny next to both my peices its 14mm or standard size (18mm commonly oversized) 

lmao...I was on the same thought...

tape messure + piece= solution

14. #15 Katharina94, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for info

15. Its a 14 mm not 18

16. wrap a piece of paper around it, make a mark and measure the length. it looks like 14mm to me though