What should I possibly do with $17k?

Discussion in 'General' started by Vicious, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Hell, this is probably the easiest idea...
    seriously,
    http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/03/21/which-online-high-yield-savings-account-is-best/

a quick link, check it out. even if you do get interested in investing in other ways that could make you a lot more, dont ever let the money just sit anywhere when it could be making more than its worth.
    good luck man, I hope things work out for the best for you!

2. im sure rates on mutal funds and CDs vary place to place. CD rates in my area are about 5.2% for 1 year.-- I have one finishing in november at 5.3%. Id say thats a pretty decent rate given the risk of a cd compared to stocks.

so yea 10k for 1 year at 5.2% is 520$ + maybe 10$ for the qrtly compounding.

I do not pay any taxes on my interest. you may depending on your earned/unearned income. I would have to make $4000+ a year in interest to file taxes on the interest according to the booklet at tax filing time :confused_2: interest = unearned income

but ya. dependin on how ballin you are, if you got $$ sittin around in a savings account making .8% interest, you might as well put it in a CD and earn 5.%

**you should figure out what kind of interest its earning sitting as it is. Then maybe go to your local banks and ask for a sheet of cd/mutual fund rates. compare. You can get a cd for like 1month - 5 years. I have a 9 month cd right now.

for example, i just cashed a bunk of savings bonds earning 4% and am going to reinvest that at 5% next november when my cd is up.

3. :confused_2::bongin: so its like 10k$ in the bank for 1 year at 5.2% = 520$ = a wii and 4 games.

youll still have still have money for a car and a grow set up. Plus like i said, 5.2% isnt the best, but its a alot better than a normal savings account. So if its just sitting around you should try n get the best rate obviously

or maybe buy 20 pounds of marijuana??

4. I can wait 3 months and have way better bud than I could ever buy.

5. yeah not to break any forum rules or anything

but given the right products you could probably double that money

6. buy a kilo of cocaine

7. save some of it at least

8. there is definately no need to have 17 stacks hidden under your bed thats for sure ;)