What should I do to optimize?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Romka07, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Hey guys, I'm about 2 weeks into my flowering mode and this is my setup. Is there anything I can do to optimize my grow situation or is this good? I have more CFL lights I can add. I can even buy another LED light. Let me know your thoughts please. If you need anymore information, please ask. Thank you very much! September 9, 2017 23400 PM EDT.png

2. Looks good for 2 weeks. I don't use LED lamps...but it seems very high above the plants. What is the recommended height above the canopy for flowering? (clue me in...do those lights get hot? If so..how hot? T-5 hot..or hps hot?)

best of luck finishing up

3. The lights need to be 18-24" away from plants according to led guide. And it's a good distance, any closer and plants start to get bleaching.

Are the CFLs ok? I have more cfls, should I add more?

4. Must be an optical delusion cus it looks higher than 24" in the pic/to me.

I can't speak to CFL...never used 'em. I'd be digging for an hps :love-m3j:

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. Would I run into temp problems? When lights are on right now, temp gets up to 82°F. This is my first grow, and I don't have any intake fans. Next grow I will upgrade.

6. I'd >guess< that the LED is more powerful/more lumens than the CFL's...so what happens to temps when you nix the CFL's and get that LED as close to the canopy as allowed? Is there more light delivered to the plant? Like I say...I'm guessing here...

FWIW...I've never used intake fans. I just go bigger on my exhaust fan and pull it through.

Looks good though. Best of luck on the finish

7. The led is as close to the girls as is allowed. Any closer and there will be bleaching.

8. I guess I'm just old....school...LOL....cus if that LED will bleach if you put it down lower...yet...you need CFL in between the LED and the canopy to offer somewhat ample light(?)....wow....

good luck

9. A "300w" LED probably uses half that. Check the specs on your light.

I run a 250w HPS in a 2x2x4 no problem. Max temp is ~78f with the right ventilation.
    t9KIWCL.jpg

10. The key to yield is lighting, The thing with LEDs is that they cover limited sq ft as far as floor space. They have no reflectivity built into their design. It takes more of them to get adequate coverage for multiple plants. You need light and plants as close as is safe, and should not be forced to raise light just to cover more plants. Crowding plants together robs all of light....which is the key to getting better bud development from any plant you flower. Give each plant plenty of space to spread open so light can penetrate below the canopy and fill out the interior of the plant. You'll get more off a single plant that gets proper care and tending and all the high quality, high wattage flower lighting possible than if you flower 3 in the same space. It's all a part of the learning curve and we all started at 0 once. I would run 1 plant under that light and buy a couple more to hang over the other two. Will probably need to pot up in container size too. A 3 gal pot isn't very large. When they get root bound, let them dry out really good and you can pop them out of old into new without stressing the plant. Fresh soil will also feed your plant for awhile too. I try to use as few chemicals as necessary. Knowing how and when to repot lets you use the soil do 80% of the feeding if you want. TWW

11. That's very good info, thank you very much. And I understand that crowding is bad. The LED I'm running with is optimal for only 2 plants, I have 3 in there and that's why I'm using some CFLs because I am spreading the plants out so the LED cannot cover all 3 at once. Should I just get another LED light?

12. Yes, completely ditch the cfls. And pick up 2 more “300 watt”(~130w) for that space and you will be happy with doing so. Like TWW said, it would be much more ideal to run one 300 per plant. They just simply do not have the power or coverage to complete a successful grow where you were able to grow cannabis for cheaper than it would cost you in electric and nutes, etc to just go buy a sack. With a single 300 your probably better off going to your local dispensary, or in prohibition states, your local dealer and buying a sack.

Get adequate lighting in your grow space and I promise you will seriously wonder why you ever wasted so much time, money, and work, before getting your lighting levels in optimum ranges.