What Religon R U

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Muff420, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Im just curious. im a Jehovah Witness

2. That's not a religion Rasta :D

3. Athiest is actually a religion, they bilieve in not bilieving in god.

I am Agnostic. i have a dislike for any formed religion.

partially, becouse i see most christians and catholics im around only going to church becouse they have too, now.. .you should go to church becouse you want to connect to god on a deeper level, or you love god and enjoy the time spent. most do not that i know of, and are repulsed that they have to get up early to go.

I love god, I love people. but i dont want people interfearing with what i have with god. its my personal views, and i wish never to press anything on another being

4. i consider myself a christian although i use the term VERY loosely. i under the belief that there is a god, and he sent Jesus to die for us...but that is where the similarities between myself and the church end. i believe in the theory of evolution, which has brought on more than one "heated" discussions between me and other religious fanatics. personally i believe the theory of evolution is more HOW life creates rather than a WHY life was created.

And no matter what religion you belong to, or even no religion at all...keep a sense of humor about it. if everyone can take a second to laugh at themselves the world would be a far greater place than it is toady...seriously imagine if Political Correctness didnt exist. beautiful isnt it?

5. Sure it is. It's a generalized perspective on the topic of religion and faith.

It just happens to be much less involved than other religions.

6. No, not correct. This is just a result of etymology (origin of words). Atheists don't go around believing in not believing in a god or gods. The word is constructed as that was the case, but in reality it is not.

To give an example, imagine it was common for people to believe in Nessie (the Loch Ness sea monster) and was adherents of Nessianism. Some critics would argue that there is zero evidence for Nessie and thus that Nessianism is basically false by any strict standard. These critics are for all purposes Anessianists.

That does not mean however that anessianists walk around defining themselves solely from the lack of belief in nessianism.

In actuality, anessianism is independent of nessianism. If no-one was nessianists, then by definition everyone would be anessianists, and the word anessianist would be pointless.

Same goes for atheist. The word is a historical and sociological construct, not a description of what an atheist may or may not believe or hold true.

As such atheism is not a religion. Just a label for someone that do not believe in whatever god/gods without evidence. Atheism makes no claims without evidence remember, unlike religion. Atheism does not require belief in the unsubstanciated, unlike religion.

edit:

Sure you don't mean secular humanism? Atheism is not a philosophy, just a label. Nothing more. Ofcourse it do say something about your footing in reality and how you weigh and sort evidence and use logic, but it's not a philosophy in and by itself.

7. I consider myself agnostic. Leaning more towards atheism, but I can't say that I'm necessarily positive there is no god, so I stick with agnostic.
    I don't think there's any way I'm going to know with absolute certainty what happens after death until I die, and I see no use in dwelling on it.

Besides, I figure if I'm wrong and there is a god, and he doesn't let me into heaven because I didn't believe in him, despite the fact that I'm a good person, then he's a douchebag anyway.

That's right, I just used "douchebag" and "god" in the same sentence.
    It's not often I get to do that. ;)

8. agnostic, it's the shit.

9. I'm Christian, although I don't go to church as much as I used to. My parents don't force it on me either.

10. Atheist or maybe I could be considered a humanist even tho I never heard of the term before today...seems like its views are common with mine.

11. Alright, yeah that's much more accurate nomenclature.

Secular Humanist.

12. today i have decided i am a dingus

and the only thing i can belong to is another dingus

only problem is ...there are no other dingi...

whatever shall i do?

13. im an atheist. people killing each other in the middle east over there beliefs, i just dont believe if there was a god, he would let people die for him. and if he would, i would rather go to hell than worship him

14. I'm an Autarcharian.
    It's a religion governed by myself.

15. I'm a Roman Catholic

16. Taoist Christian

17. I do not believe in organized religion, nor do I believe in labels...

So I'm me.