What religion am i?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by smokinthaherb, Jan 8, 2012.

1. People say i am a atheist but its not like i dont believe in god. I simply dont know if god is real or not and i will see the truth when i die. So do i not have a religion? I just have no idea if there is a god or not. I dont think i am a atheist because its not like i dont believe in god its just that i have no idea until i die and see for myself.

2. You're an agnostic bud. Welcome to the club :).

3. Lol is that bad? It seems like everyone looks down on atheists.

4. lol...probably shouldn't give a shit what anybody else thinks about your religious convictions...:smoke:

I would only hope you will seek for your own understanding of 'God' and stay away from dogmatic beliefs

5. I don't see how so. Everyone else pretends like they actually know what's out there even though they have no evidence at all to prove it, yet point at some religious text written long before our time and act as if that is proof enough. Yourself, you choose not to believe anything without evidence to support the hypothesis. People may "look down" on you, but that's simply because of their extremely judgmental religious beliefs that actually make them worry about what other people believe. These same people also condemn your favorite herb, so why should you worry about what they say about the shit in your head?

6. You dont need to be classified into one relegious group. Have your own ideas and thoughts dont worry about what the other people think.

7. "Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life."
    ~Protagoras

"In heaven, all the interesting people are missing."
    ~Nietzsche

8. I would call you an agnostic-atheist. you don't need to believe there is no god to be atheist, you're just one if you don't believe in god. No it's not bad to be an atheist, don't let people make you feel that way. You seem like a person who doesn't really shove anything in people's faces so hopefully religious zealots don't bother you. if they do, just know that they are basing their beliefs on faith, and you are abstaining from beliefs, and that's all there is to it.

9. Its not like i dont believe in god though. I just have no idea if god is real or not. I like to have proof. Im not saying god is not real because i have no clue. I hope there is a god though and a after life. It would suck if you just die and thats it, nothing happens :(

10. In any case, you really don't need to feel under pressure of any kind to define what you believe. You know you feel something but you're not comfortable with the ideas you've come across that might allow you to identify it in some way. Sounds like the making a someone who will come to understand it for himself when he's ready. There's no rush.

11. Maybe you can try assuming It IS...and see how it goes :smoke:

12. Blarghonk.

I'm agnostic atheist- I'll sum up my views. I don't know if there is a god but I disbelieve/reject the claim there is a god for lack of supporting evidence for such a claim. I am open to any evidence supporting the claim that a god exists.

Do you like my view? Then perhaps you're an agnostic atheist.

Hail Satan, abolish government.

13. Finding some kind of evidence so you might believe is extremely unlikely unless you're truly open to it. But in order to be open, you can't have defined what the kind of evidence would have to be first. If you did, it would make it impossible for anything to ever satisfy. This is not something that can be approached in this way; the heart must be already open to it.

14. ... Defining evidence is most certainly a step in the right direction.

15. I am open to it. I beliave there is something out there but its not shaped like a human. Its something thats VERY hard to describe. It feels like a living organism. Thats what i saw with using psychedelics and thats what i kind of believe. It's very hard to explain what i went through but if there is something out there i think its what i saw. It has nothing to do with jesus or any other religion though.

16. The problem with defining what you think that evidence should be, is while obviously it allows you to eliminate things that clearly aren't, as you're not going to accept just anything that purports to be such, it also stops you from seeing what actually could be. The 'evidence' as you call it, won't be in the form of something measurable, repeatable, quantifiable. It can only be personal, subjective and unique.

17. You don't believe in god... and you don't know. that makes you atheist and agnostic.

Atheism is just not believing in god, not just disbelieving in god.

I don't think everything just ending would suck, It'd just be peaceful

18. Then let me ask you, how does one demonstrate their faith to be any different than a delusion?

If your "evidence" is only demonstrable to yourself, then it is effectively useless.

19. How can it be useless if it's something you see as confirming something you'd previously been unsure about?

It's not about convincing anyone else with your evidence - they have to find their own when they're ready. Besides, what would be the point, they wouldn't recognise it as such anyway.

20. How do you distinct your faith from delusion if your "evidence" is only demonstrable to yourself?