What PH should water be if soil is 5.8? Help greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Davva93, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Hello guys, I'm using soil called "Gold label special mix" and I read that the PH of this soil is 5.8. The water I've been giving them is 6.5 and I'm having PH issues. My tapwater is 7.6 or so and my question is; how much should I lower the PH of my water to make it go along with my soil? Clearly its too acidic for my plants atm. Is there some kind of rule for this? Or should one just test his way to the "right" PH? Thanks!

2. Sounds like the soil is buffered to 5.8... Not sure your going to see much difference if you just use straight tap water or flush. So sprinkling some oyster shell flower or lime into the mix could help buffer the soil to where you want it.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. This seems to be all new to me. I went to the website and noticed the mix is mended with Lime. I've never seen any mix that's proportionately amended with lime and gypsum (?), hydrous calcium sulfate, that's NOT supposed to at least ph to 6.5 and be treatred as soil. Any organic substrate with these ingredients Can't ph to 5.8, surely not. Am I in another dimension? Seems out of quietus to me? Anyone? Someone please enlighten me on this? Op, please offer written evidence from the bag or website?

4. #4 Ironic Moe, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    You have to adjust it manually to reach a runoff of 6.5 approx
    So as soon as your soil ph is 5 you have to raise the water ph to reach runoff of 6.5
    Try tap water with ph 7 or 7.5 and test the run off
    Also you can add additional amount of lime
    And you can buy GH ph test kit with ph up and down

5. Soil will tend to make water more acidic as water makes it way to the root zone.. The tried and true 6.5. Do not play with  and acidic Ph solutions much. It is not linear in nature. you may note that making an acidic fluid more basic takes a LOT more solution than to make a base solution more acidic. 

Do not test water treated with nutrients then let it set over night. The next day the Ph will be crazy in most cases. Check the salinity of your water. The combination of salts, minerals, and acid can be like a slow poison to the plant via the roots.

6. Thanks for the answers guys, I think I got what I need.
    Mmman, It said on the retail website(a swe website) that the soil is 5.8, sounds strange to me too but it lines up with the runoff PH I've been seeing. Damn I didn't think growing would be so complicated :)

7. #7 BHamBudzNW, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Growing isn't a lazy man's/woman's job, it takes alot, ALOT, of studying to do well. But the more you mess up and make mistakes the faster you learn. So I suggest you read, read, read but soak up all you can for future grows.

Bham

8. #8 The_Real_OG_Kush, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Flush your soil with water at a 2:1 ratio. Plant will show signs of new recovery in one week on new growth. Dont worry about the damaged leaves of discolor. They will slowly add production to getting your plant back on track.

First rule of thumb when you see light green/yellowing is flush.

second, wait.

The soil contains plenty of stuff so dont give it any thing(given you have enough soil to plant ratio).

Add water out of a RO machine and add calmag supplements or use faucet and ph to 5.8 - 6.1.

Using an RO machine filters all the stuff out off the water(measured in PPM) allowing the plant to take in more nutrients. 

Think of this as releasing the nutrient bond between the soil and roots allowing for the adjustment all over again. Remember the soil is the PH buffer and you should be testing your soil with your ph meter.

That's a first for me, very hydroponic, hand fed substrate.