Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What part of marijuana smells?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by i Donk, Jul 2, 2011.

1. I know the common opinion is that weed that smells better, smokes better. For the most part I agree that's true, but we all know there are always exceptions.

So I started wondering, when you smell weed, which part of the plant are you actually smelling? Surely it's not the THC itself right? So should people put so much weight into the smell of a specific plant?

There is certainly a difference in smell between low-grade and high-grade weed, but usually you can get the same info just based on looks.

So why is so much value placed in smell? What are you really smelling?

2. Well you are smoking flowers....

3. well ive boughten weed that just smells like complete shit and gets me higher than the sky

4. It's a plant and your burning it...

5. I'm pretty sure its the same way as a mint plant smells. or sage. the whole fuckin plants smells

6. I don't buy based on smell, I buy based on look.

Do some research and you'll be able to identify the important parts of the plant (calyx, stigma, trichomes, etc.).

7. Surely there is a specific part of the plant that is responsible for the smell. My question is if smell is actually related to potency in some way, which I doubt unless the THC is what you're actually smelling.

8. I believe the majority of the smell is from the resin, which contains the THC. There are plenty of people around that know much more about it than I do that can correct me on that if I'm mistaken.
    The resin is excreted on the buds to try to get pollen to stick. This is the same substance that makes the buds sticky. The reason there's usually a correlation between strength of smell and potency of bud is because the more resin is present, the more THC is present (usually).
    Again, someone more experienced please feel free to correct me.

9. Terpenes within the plant create the smell.

10. i would also guess that its the resin you are smelling, the plants produce more resin during flowering and smell better.. male produce little resin and dont smell half as good..

smell doesnt really matter, the drying process is what brings out the odor correctly.. ex if you dont dry them out they will mold and smell bad. if you dont cure them properly they will smell like hay or grass clippings.. it will still get you high as hell but the odor changes drastically..

11. ok thanks everyone. Resin makes a lot of sense as the source of the smell. Which would also have some effect on the potency. Of course there are other factors to take into consideration with potency as well.

12. This is the best question on grasscity... hands down

13. lol the buds you are smoking are the flowers, as said up top

might as well be asking what part of flowers smell