What nutes? Using RO water, Botanicare coco, Airpots on top feed

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Agoutihead, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Anticipate a slower schedule. Plants don't grow on schedules, not precisely that number of days. I find it is better to not plan in terms of weeks, but days. Like 10 to 15 days for rooting, 30 to 40 days of veg to fill out, then 60 to 70 days for flowering.

Having separate growing spaces for cloning/vegetative and flowering will allow you to hit your harvest goal but you need to allot some time for things, between grows. Maybe you need to spend a day and clean the whole place, or add some new equipment, or whatever...

Plant height is tricky, indicas are dramatically stockier compared to sativas and then there are hybrids to consider. Biomass is a better indicator but it is difficult to give a value to the amount of biomass I think should be there. There are also training methods that can really skew this answer. But, in a word, big. These plants are going to need a lot of space to really fill out and each would need upwards of 9 square feet of area, but could probably use even more.

Defoliation can be tricky. The trick is to go from top to bottom and only remove leaves that are blocking other leaves and bud sites. This process is extremely stressful for your plants but they will rebound in 4 or 5 days looking better than ever. The reason I no longer defoliate is because I don't think it will improve yield. I think that LST is a much more effective method and less stressful on the plant. A combination of LST and defoliation might work best for you.

GO is General Organics. We've been talking about them on and off I think...:smoke:

2. thanks I mixed it both ways and each way I had percip today I'm going to mix the cns17 in a pint of ro water first and add it after the micro and silicon and hopefully it wont percip

3. It's just a little Calcium Sulfate. Really not too big of a deal. Most everyone I know of deals with it. Totally temporary and is usually cleared up in just a few seconds. Not something, that I am aware of, to be worried about.

The less Calcium and Sufate in the solution the less that can precipitate. I would actually think that diluting the Silicate before adding it would help, rather than the CNS17. Good luck though, should be an interesting experiment at least.

4. well I mixed the cns with a pint of water before adding it. and it did help with the percip bthey ut there still was a little but they were very small size of sand. I will try dilutin the silicon too but don't think it will mater much as as long as the micro is added 1st and mixed well cause once its in there its diluted and I only get the precip after adding the cns.

5. #45 SCMC, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
    You're getting a precipitate from CNS17? That makes no sense to me. The product contains every element already, calcium, sulfur, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, some iron even... All of it is in suspension in the bottle, so if there were ever going to be a precipitate from the product it would be found in the container and not in the reservoir.

In the last year of using CNS17 I have never seen a precipitate as a result of its use.

The only thing I have seen cause a precipitate in the reservoir is due to the extremely alkaline Potassium Silicate. This precipitate is usually a white cloud, never with granules the size of sand. More like the size of dust. In addition, with a few stirs of the solution I haven't had a lasting precipitate either that I could scoop from the bottom.

Maybe it's the Fulvic Acid I use... I dunno...

Not sure what you're seeing. Can you snap a picture of the precipitate as it happens? A little Time Lapse would be killer to tracking down the issue. If this is a problem with CNS17 that I am not aware of it'd be fantastic to learn something about the product. I have the ear of a rep at Botanicare and when we get some information put together, with a little evidence to back it up, I can bring it to him and see if there is anything going on we should worry about.

6. yea maybe I'll tape it I have seen very little precip when using the silicon . the precip with the cns is the size of kosher salt. if i premix the cns in water first it goes right in and mixes great. if I don't I get chunks on the bottom. now these chunks may not be precip but just the suspension of the nutes and they just don't mix well.

7. I think i might know what you're talking about. Today for instance, I was mixing some cns in a pitcher with a stick and noticed that it didn't mix completely and had to stir extra, but when I make a batch in a 5gal jug and can put the lid on and shake the shit out of it, there is zero particles visible.

8. Ever get a chance to put together that feeding schedule for the list of nutes you gave me SCMC?

They should be here tomorrow, so will begin using them fairly soon. Next week or two hopefully.

Thanks.

9. Received all of our nutes on monday, we are germinating as I type this... just hoping for a nice feeding schedule break down from our coco master ;)

10. Hey dude. I dunno if you caught it at AskEd's Coco thread but my laptop is currently crapped out on me. I am working to pull some things off of there but I had a wealth of information on feeding schedules on that hard drive and I cannot get to it yet.

Take the time for me and list each product you received. This will save us some back and forth later on if I start talking about some product you don't have, or a product you picked up that I wasn't aware of. Get us on the same page, you know?

11. Ahh fuck that's the worst!!

I bought all of these:

BioWeed
    BioRoot
    Liquid Karma
    CNS17 for coco (Grow, Bloom & Ripe)
    CES Micro
    Uncle John's
    Flavorful
    Pro-tekt
    Great White
    PH up
    PH down

We didn't splurge on an RO unit yet, but we tested our tap water with a Hanna combo pen & it was like 103ppm.

I know I need to also get epsom salt, I've read some where there is a preferred one for more tailored to growing?

Thanks as always.

12. Hey and do you think we should use any nutes when we are raising from seedlings in a clone dome w/heater pad? Or wait until veg to start nutes and just feed plain water for now?

It would speed up the process while under the humidity dome if we use nutes right?

13. no nute for seedlings until you get a couple sets of leaves and they start to show just a tinge of yellowing.

plain, ph'd water will do you good for the first 2 weeks (+-) after that you can start feeding very lightly

14. Cool, I just need to figure out the General Hydropoincs PH up/down adjustment values since there isn't any on the bottle.

Know of what they are off hand?

15. It depends on the nutrients and the quality of the water. Different sources of water and nutrients have different buffering rates. Just add a little at a time and use your tds meter to check the rate of change.

16. I haven't used GH pH up or down in such a long time. Fulvic Acid is my down, Potassium Silicate is my up...

I found that it takes just a few drops to effect a decent pH change with the Down, but that it rises and balances out over time requiring several adjustments. I'd use about 2ml/gallon by the time I was done mixing to go from like a 6.5 to a 5.8pH.

The Up requires a little bit more to get the same change. More like 3ml/gallon to go from 5.1 to 5.8pH.

Honestly though, all this phosphoric acid and potassium bicarbonate is not good for your solution.

Who told you to get pH adjusters anyway?

17. #57 Agoutihead, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
    Ok so with the nutes I bought, which one is fulvic acid & which one is potasium silicate?

I have to move seeds to plugs today, it's been like 4 days in paper towels and I need to adjust my water so I can get the plugs nice & wet.

And I just figured I needed PH up/down to adjust PH, didn't know I could use fulvic & silicate.

18. And after re-reading your original post, I use Flavorful for down & pro-tect for up correct? (which I have both of)

19. Dude, you could have bought a bottle of GH FloraNova Bloom, and a bottle of Cal/Mag, for your coco grow and been done with it for the whole grow.

20. You said 3 ml/g for protek to act as ph up

How much flavorful per gallon for ph down?